Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456232 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #660 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
Not quite local, but pertinent to our numbers since one of the stations involved is one of our 10@10 proponents:

Bonneville has sold 17 stations to Hubbard Broadcasting, including WDRV (The Drive) in Chicago. All told, the sale involves clusters of stations in Chicago, Washington DC, St. Louis, and Cincinnati.

Details here:
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/86101/hubbard-buys-17-stations-from-bonneville
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
Not quite local, but pertinent to our numbers since one of the stations involved is one of our 10@10 proponents:

Bonneville has sold 17 stations to Hubbard Broadcasting, including WDRV (The Drive) in Chicago. All told, the sale involves clusters of stations in Chicago, Washington DC, St. Louis, and Cincinnati.

interesting in that The Drive and The Sound (which Bonneville also owns and which wasn't sold) are very similar, and their 10@10s are practically clones of each other.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 19, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
was walking around SOMA and Civic Center today and could pick up Radio Valencia on my trusty transistor radio.  The playlist was a mix of standard rockers (Cheap Trick Southern Girls, Kinks' All Day And All of the Night, Animals It's My Life) and punk (The Descendants, The Ramones).

87.9 on the FM dial. They have a web site here: http://radiovalencia.fm/
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
BRS sat in with Greg Kihn on KFOX this morning.  Didn't get to hear the interview, but according to a FB post, something was said about no more Natalie Merchant.   ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:37 AM »
BRS sat in with Greg Kihn on KFOX this morning.  Didn't get to hear the interview, but according to a FB post, something was said about no more Natalie Merchant.   ;)

Cute.  and no more Feist-alikes.  OTOH, he'll be hearing "Under Pressure" twice as often.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »

Cute.  and no more Feist-alikes.  OTOH, he'll be hearing "Under Pressure" twice as often.

I made the above comment on the radio-info SF board and some guy there said *he* made a similar comment on Big Rick's FB page -- and Rick deleted it. Sheesh, big guy -- if ya give snark, ya gotta be able to take snark, y'know?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
Please sign the Save KUSF petition!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savekusf/

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »

I made the above comment on the radio-info SF board and some guy there said *he* made a similar comment on Big Rick's FB page -- and Rick deleted it. Sheesh, big guy -- if ya give snark, ya gotta be able to take snark, y'know?
My snarky anti-Kihn post was deleted.
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »
Ben Fong-Torres mentioned nada about the big radio drama that went down last week in his latest blog.  Disappointing.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/21/PK6A1H7VKQ.DTL

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:07 AM »
Ben Fong-Torres mentioned nada about the big radio drama that went down last week in his latest blog.  Disappointing.

I think Ben files way ahead of time, so this week's column probably was done before the KUDF/KDFC news broke.  The Big Rick Stuart departure from KFOG either didn't register with him for some reason, or -- more likely -- he did know about it but kept silent b/c of embargo agreements and to protect his sources:  Rick leaving KFOG might have been a messy situation and the details are sensitive.    I'm sure several press people knew about the deal ahead of time (by a few days, maybe even?), but they could not reveal the info until the deal was announced.

Anyway, I think (hope?) he'll weigh in next time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:29:48 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 24, 2011, 12:19:03 AM »

I think Ben files way ahead of time, so this week's column probably was done before the KUDF/KDFC news broke.  The Big Rick Stuart departure from KFOG either didn't register with him for some reason, or -- more likely -- he did know about it but kept silent b/c of embargo agreements and to protect his sources:  Rick leaving KFOG might have been a messy situation and the details are sensitive.    I'm sure several press people knew about the deal ahead of time (by a few days, maybe even?), but they could not reveal the info until the deal was announced.

Yeah, it's rare that BF-T covers any story that's broken recently, the one exception being the firing of Mickey Luckoff at KGO, and that had some serious dish potential that would translate to readers/pageviews. I hope he covers the story next time, although if both Rick and KFOG aren't talking about the split now, I have to wonder if he'll have much more beyond the company line to tell us.

Btw, I don't think the Radio Waves column is considered a blog, strictly speaking, since it appears in print simultaneously with its online version. Aren't blogs exclusively a web-based forum?
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »
Ben Fong-Torres mentioned nada about the big radio drama that went down last week in his latest blog.  Disappointing.

I think Ben files way ahead of time, so this week's column probably was done before the KUDF/KDFC news broke.  The Big Rick Stuart departure from KFOG either didn't register with him for some reason, or -- more likely -- he did know about it but kept silent b/c of embargo agreements and to protect his sources:  Rick leaving KFOG might have been a messy situation and the details are sensitive.    I'm sure several press people knew about the deal ahead of time (by a few days, maybe even?), but they could not reveal the info until the deal was announced.

Yeah, it's rare that BF-T covers any story that's broken recently, the one exception being the firing of Mickey Luckoff at KGO, and that had some serious dish potential that would translate to readers/pageviews. I hope he covers the story next time, although if both Rick and KFOG aren't talking about the split now, I have to wonder if he'll have much more beyond the company line to tell us.

Btw, I don't think the Radio Waves column is considered a blog, strictly speaking, since it appears in print simultaneously with its online version. Aren't blogs exclusively a web-based forum?

yes, BF-T writes a column for print, technically not a blog.   I don't think there will be much dish-y stuff if/when he covers it, b/c he'll want to stay in his sources' good graces.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:21:57 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
Tried to tune into KFOX with the 3 radios around the house and nada.  Sheesh.  Listening online now and heard Big Rick pipe in here and there.  I dunno.  I guess I'm not good with change or something.   ::)

ETA:  BRS started with The Joker, Steely Dan and now Journey.  No comment.  Someone he knew called in and requested some Natalie Merchant (hehe).  He said something like, "Nah, but I can play some Zeppelin for you instead!" 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:17:16 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
Tried to tune into KFOX with the 3 radios around the house and nada.  Sheesh.  Listening online now and heard Big Rick pipe in here and there.  I dunno.  I guess I'm not good with change or something.   ::)

on both signals? 102.1 oughta come in well in SF even if 98.5 doesn't.  Someone on the Facebook page seemed to imply that they played "Roll Over Beethoven" (I'm guessing the ELO version) at noon when they took over 102.1 from KDFC... which signed off with "Fanfare For The Common Man".

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »

I'm pulling in the 102.1 signal very well. Caught the tail end of The Who's Bargain, now they're playing Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me.  I was going to say ho-hum... but then I espied THIS on their FB page:

98.5 KFOX Big Rick is on the air! All of you have a shot at front Row tickets to see Rush on June 26th at the Sleep Train Pavilion at Concord! Be listening Friday.

GOD, I LOVE THIS STATION!   (KUSF Who?)
~CPL593H~