Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456172 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Channel 92.3's Holiday Takeover
« Reply #630 on: December 23, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »
Channel 92.3 has let their listeners take over the airwaves for the holidays & they'll play my set tomorrow (Thursday 12/23) at 3 PM, for anyone who's interested!  :)  Lots of 80s new wave, some 90s & 00's new wave-ish tracks too.
Excellent, I am a listener and anticipate being mobile at 3pm so I will listen for sure.
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #631 on: December 23, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
Thanks RGMike, Gazoo, and Alicat! :)
I'm on now...they started me a bit early :)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 23, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
Is this you: West End Girls > The Ghost in You
Can't go wrong with new wave classics!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 23, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Is this you: West End Girls > The Ghost in You
Can't go wrong with new wave classics!

Sure is! Thanks for listening!!! :)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 23, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
...and that's a wrap! :)

The playlist:
Platinum Blonde - Not in Love
Crystal Castles w/ Robert Smith - Not in Love
Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
The Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost in You
Snow Patrol - Run
Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere in Summertime
Erasure - Always
Garbage - Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (I did NOT pick this one, though I don't mind it -- they accidentally played this instead of Siouxsie and the Banshees, I think)
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
New Order - True Faith
Anberlin - True Faith

They omitted:
The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust
Thomas Dolby - I Love You Goodbye

Go figure, they cut out the most obscure ones.  And I had recorded intros that they didn't play to The Blue Nile and Thomas Dolby songs too...  >:(  Oh well, at least I got a dozen other songs on, so I can't complain too much! :)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 23, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
I heard some of this whie in and out of the car shopping.  I liked the Amberlin, hadn't heard their version before.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 23, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »
I heard some of this whie in and out of the car shopping.  I liked the Amberlin, hadn't heard their version before.

Me too -- was about to ask who that was and I see the setlist above.  Nice work!

And now over to KPOO for Johnny Brooklyn's Xmas Oldies...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:17:33 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

The playlist:
Snow Patrol - Run
Erasure - Always
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (I did NOT pick this one, though I don't mind it -- they accidentally played this instead of Siouxsie and the Banshees, I think)
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
New Order - True Faith
Anberlin - True Faith

They omitted:

Go figure, they cut out the most obscure ones.  And I had recorded intros that they didn't play to The Blue Nile and Thomas Dolby songs too...  >:(  Oh well, at least I got a dozen other songs on, so I can't complain too much! :)
Great playlist!  Too bad about Siouxsie...Love that song. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 24, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »

The playlist:
Snow Patrol - Run
Erasure - Always
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
New Order - True Faith
Anberlin - True Faith

They omitted:

Outstanding choices.  (And I happen to love that Dolby song.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 28, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »

Me too -- was about to ask who that was and I see the setlist above.  Nice work!

Great playlist!  Too bad about Siouxsie...Love that song. 

Outstanding choices.  (And I happen to love that Dolby song.)

Thanks for your kind words :)  Glad you liked Anberlin! (And Siouxsie and Dolby too, even though those didn't get on sadly.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 16, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
I commented elsewere about 92.7 The Rev, and how they play "Time of My Life" and "Gay 'Ho Blistah" endlessly, but that isn't even the half of it.  This afternoon at the gym I heard them play Ke$ha's "We R Who We R" 4 times in less than 2 hours. Christ on a cracker, that's fucking insane.  They appear to have a playlist of, like, 15 songs. Which is fine if you're 12 years old, maybe, but who listens to this station for more than half an hour at a time? No wonder their ratings are miniscule. And you thought KFOG was repetitive!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 16, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
I commented elsewere about 92.7 The Rev, and how they play "Time of My Life" and "Gay 'Ho Blistah" endlessly, but that isn't even the half of it.  This afternoon at the gym I heard them play Ke$ha's "We R Who We R" 4 times in less than 2 hours. Christ on a cracker, that's fucking insane.  They appear to have a playlist of, like, 15 songs. Which is fine if you're 12 years old, maybe, but who listens to this station for more than half an hour at a time? No wonder their ratings are miniscule. And you thought KFOG was repetitive!

I know there's lots of hate here for Hey Soul Sister.  I don't hear the song that often, truthfully, but when I do, I don't necessarily turn the station, so I guess I would consider it a "guilty non-displeasure" for me.    It seems Train cleverly and regretfully designed the song to be an ear worm hit of some sort ... and dang it, it worked.  And it's only a matter of time before they cash in further on the song's success and license it with other lyrics to shill for products and services.  To that end, here are some some other variations of the title and their and taking a cue from Mike's variations on the title (see above "Gay 'Ho Blistah').

Play Arista!
- The record label uses it to get their name out there, again.

Say "Ar-I-sta" - This time, the record label uses it to help people pronounce their name correctly

Hey! Mole Blister!
- Dermatological societies everywhere want to you get that thing checked.

Nay, Mole Twister - the same societies warn against bathroom surgery, let a professional deal with it!

Pay Toll, Mister - CalTrans campaign targeting commuting scofflaws

Gay Ol' Sister - Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence solicits donations for their retirement home for past members.

Très Pole Wrister - Onanism Society advertises with a very hands on version.

Maypole Twister - Druids and Pagans, realizing attendance is down at their yearly ritual, start advertising

Other variations are out there: for instance, "Fister" could be inserted into the title, too, if you know what I mean.

ok, sorry about that, I'm bored and I had these things in my head, and the only way for me to get rid of them is write them down.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 16, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »
Other variations are out there: for instance, "Fister" could be inserted into the title, too, if you know what I mean.

I came very close to "Gay Hole Fister", actually.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 18, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
TANC, in that they're Big Rick's alma mater, but KUSF has been sold to a noncommercial classical outfit; the orig KUSF and its current programming will become internet-only:

KUSF Moves to Online Only Format 01-18-2011

The University of San Francisco (USF) announced today that KUSF, the university’s radio station, is moving to an online only format, effective immediately. The university has reached an agreement to assign the FCC license for radio frequency 90.3 FM to Classical Public Radio Network, which is launching a non-commercial classical music station in the Bay Area. CPRN is owned by University of Southern California.

The call letters KUSF were not sold, and the KUSF logo and all music inventory will remain USF property. All KUSF staff will be offered similar positions at KUSF.org.

The move to online-only distribution gives KUSF a powerful opportunity to grow its worldwide audience. Previously, the station was limited to 100 online listeners at a time, but capacity will be increased to accommodate thousands of listeners.

The station will go dark briefly for necessary engineering work. It is possible the electrical work could take several days.

As it shifts to an online-only format, USF will focus on the station’s primary purpose as a teaching laboratory for students. The university is evaluating ways to improve the student learning experience and enhance its curriculum in digital media and audio production. USF is also pleased to announce that CPRN will make internships available to qualified USF students interested in radio broadcasting.

USF will invest the proceeds from the sale to support its mission, and will continue to offer a valuable learning experience for its media students. USF is pleased that it can also help ensure the long-term presence of high-quality classical music programming in the Bay Area.

The sale must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission.

Wowsers.  And it seems to me that a new "high-quality classical" station is a bit of a dig at KDFC, and one wonders of this could nudge KDFC to switch formats.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:14:12 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 18, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Big Rick isn't going to The Band, but KUFX in the afternoons.   :o

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/18/DDV71H9VL2.DTL&tsp=1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:51:44 PM by sundaygal »