Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456223 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #615 on: October 26, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Radio humor: someone posted something on the radio-info.com SF board about Greg Kihn, but they misspelled his name as "Kiln". So someone replied

"Good old Greg Kiln. I especially loved his crockery. I liked him most when he got fired up. He could get really hot.  But when he wasn't, he'd make my eyes glaze over..."

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:44:56 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »
Radio humor: someone posted something on the radio-info.com SF board about Greg Kihn, but they misspelled his name as "Kiln". So someone replied

"Good old Greg Kiln. I especially loved his crockery. I liked him most when he got fired up. He could get really hot.  But when he wasn't, he'd make my eyes glaze over..."

BTW, the post about Greg Kiln, er, Kihn, was about the fact that he is giving up his syndicated nighttime show -- I didn't even know he had one!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
Just saw that Mickey Luckoff, who's been at the helm of KGO/KSFO radio for the past 35 years, announced his resignation abruptly today, with no further explanation.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/bottomline/detail?entry_id=73787&tsp=1

Time to retire, I guess -- 35 years in one place, and Citadel (KGO's current owners) are belt-tightening and cost-cutting up the wazoo.

nice interview with Luckoff by Ben Fong-Torres today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/PKPU1FVENS.DTL&type=entertainment

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 31, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
Just saw that Mickey Luckoff, who's been at the helm of KGO/KSFO radio for the past 35 years, announced his resignation abruptly today, with no further explanation.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/bottomline/detail?entry_id=73787&tsp=1

Time to retire, I guess -- 35 years in one place, and Citadel (KGO's current owners) are belt-tightening and cost-cutting up the wazoo.

nice interview with Luckoff by Ben Fong-Torres today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/PKPU1FVENS.DTL&type=entertainment

Just read that piece, and it sounds like Luckoff has reason to be bitter. Hope he enjoys his retirement--he's earned it.

Out of curiousity, I looked at Citadel's website to see where they owned stations (and to see if they had any around here --they don't).  Often they own outlets in just one city per state. Looks like they've come in and just taken over the town. Like for instance Boise, where they own six stations. Or Tucson with five. Or Salt Lake City, with eight. In California they're a little more spread out, owning two stations each in SF, LA and Stockton, and six in...Modesto?!?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 11, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »
New ratings are out and thanks to the Giants' World Series run, KNBR are #1 for the first time ever:

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

and for a hilarious comparison, their rating is a 7.2, while the A's "flagship", KTRB has a .1  :o

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
Cumulus (owners of KFOG & KNBR) wants to mate with Citadel (KGO, WABC etc etc); so far Citadel is rebuffing the offer. But both are in dire financial straits.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/citadel-broadcasting-rejects-cumulus-media-offer-twice/

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 08, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
KSJO/Channel 92.3 has been sold to Principle Broadcasting, which is almost certain to flip it to Spanish in the coming months.

http://radioinsight.com/2010/92-3-ksjo-san-jose-sold/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
New ratings are out and thanks to the Giants' World Series run, KNBR are #1 for the first time ever:

and for a hilarious comparison, their rating is a 7.2, while the A's "flagship", KTRB has a .1  :o

Interesting: I just read that, while KFOG are 15th in audience, they're 5th in billing -- Cumulus must be pleased. I'm still wondering how this slightly schizoid programming split of theirs -- running "classics" into the ground all day and then playing nothing but super-new stuff at nite -- is shaking out, ratings-wise.  There are still rumors that Live 105 is going to flip to a sports format, I assume the KFOG evening programming is an attempt to build some cred with a younger demo if & when Live 105 disappears.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 09, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

and for a hilarious comparison, their rating is a 7.2, while the A's "flagship", KTRB has a .1  :o

Interesting: I just read that, while KFOG are 15th in audience, they're 5th in billing -- Cumulus must be pleased. I'm still wondering how this slightly schizoid programming split of theirs -- running "classics" into the ground all day and then playing nothing but super-new stuff at nite -- is shaking out, ratings-wise.  There are still rumors that Live 105 is going to flip to a sports format, I assume the KFOG evening programming is an attempt to build some cred with a younger demo if & when Live 105 disappears.

Live 105 needs to stop playing all that Linkin Park crap and go back to its original mid 80's - early 90's programming.  That being said, I actually like the new indie stuff KFOG is playing.  I have friends who only listen to KFOG at night, as well as the Sunday Side Show thing they have goin' on.  They need to ease up on all those John Mayer/Dave Matthews/Train/Sheryl Crow/Jack Johnson songs they play 50 times a day.  Yoicks.  Just an opinion.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 20, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
They've been playing 92.7 The Rev at my gym this past week -- aside from that "I've Had the Time Of My Life" reboot, which they play endlessly, they have "Hey Soul Sister" in rotation as if it were current, when it's over a year old. Sheesh and yeesh.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »

and for a hilarious comparison, their rating is a 7.2, while the A's "flagship", KTRB has a .1  :o

Interesting: I just read that, while KFOG are 15th in audience, they're 5th in billing -- Cumulus must be pleased. I'm still wondering how this slightly schizoid programming split of theirs -- running "classics" into the ground all day and then playing nothing but super-new stuff at nite -- is shaking out, ratings-wise.  There are still rumors that Live 105 is going to flip to a sports format, I assume the KFOG evening programming is an attempt to build some cred with a younger demo if & when Live 105 disappears.

Live 105 needs to stop playing all that Linkin Park crap and go back to its original mid 80's - early 90's programming.  That being said, I actually like the new indie stuff KFOG is playing.  I have friends who only listen to KFOG at night, as well as the Sunday Side Show thing they have goin' on.  They need to ease up on all those John Mayer/Dave Matthews/Train/Sheryl Crow/Jack Johnson songs they play 50 times a day.  Yoicks.  Just an opinion.
No love for Linkin Park?  I have my tix for the Feb 22 show.
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Channel 92.3's Holiday Takeover
« Reply #627 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »
Channel 92.3 has let their listeners take over the airwaves for the holidays & they'll play my set tomorrow (Thursday 12/23) at 3 PM, for anyone who's interested!  :)  Lots of 80s new wave, some 90s & 00's new wave-ish tracks too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Channel 92.3's Holiday Takeover
« Reply #628 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:50 PM »
Channel 92.3 has let their listeners take over the airwaves for the holidays & they'll play my set tomorrow (Thursday 12/23) at 3 PM, for anyone who's interested!  :)  Lots of 80s new wave, some 90s & 00's new wave-ish tracks too.

Woo Hoo!  Very cool -- I'll be out & about but I'll try to remember if I'm near a radio.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Channel 92.3's Holiday Takeover
« Reply #629 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »

Sweet!  I should be around to listen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”