Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456244 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news for the 'Pig
« Reply #585 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »
Sounds like the bay area frequency of KPIG may have gone away:

From Big Rick's FB status:
Quote from: Big Rick
Bummer I liked having The Pig at the end of the am dial. From Inside Radio: It’s one of America’s quirkiest radio brands with a sizeable online audience. But Mapleton Communication wasn’t able to make KPIG, San Francisco (1510) profitable. “At the end of the day we came up short,” market manager Ed Monroe tells listeners.

http://www.insideradio.com/Article.asp?id=1911012&spid=32061

Bummer. here's their official statement:

http://www.kpig.com/userfiles/file/KPIG_8-11-10.pdf
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
For those who don't get The Sound's weekly email, this is kinda cool: Smokey Robinson will be playing Guest DJ on the Sound this Sunday nite at 6.

http://www.thesoundla.com/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 18, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame 2010 inductees announced: Dave Morey gets in! (along with Jon Miller, Bonnie Simmons, Ben Fong-Torres, others)

http://www.bayarearadio.org/hof/

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 18, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »
Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame 2010 inductees announced: Dave Morey gets in! (along with Jon Miller, Bonnie Simmons, Ben Fong-Torres, others)

Nice! Wonder if he'll appear at the induction in person?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 18, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »

*applause*
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 18, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »

*applause*

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 18, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame 2010 inductees announced: Dave Morey gets in! (along with Jon Miller, Bonnie Simmons, Ben Fong-Torres, others) http://www.bayarearadio.org/hof/
Induction dinner tix are open to the public, 9/25 at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina. Let's go!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 20, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
John (Cougar) Mellencamp on Fresh Air with Terri Gross, airing about now on KALW 91.7.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 20, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
John (Cougar) Mellencamp on Fresh Air with Terri Gross, airing about now on KALW 91.7.

is he talking about how evil the internet is? They were reading quotes from him about that on the Morning Show the other day, made him sound like a cranky old man.  Now I know why the Dems didn't run him for Senate.  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 20, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

is he talking about how evil the internet is? They were reading quotes from him about that on the Morning Show the other day, made him sound like a cranky old man.  Now I know why the Dems didn't run him for Senate.  ;)

This must be before the crazy-internet-remarks thing; the interview if from last year, Fresh Air is running it b/c he just released a new album.

Terri says "So, you're a life-long Democrat.." and he cut her off saying "No, I'm not a Democrat or Repub, I'm very liberal."
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
Per some people in-the-know on the radio-info.com SF board, KTRB 860 is pretty much kaput; ownership is bankrupt; the entire staff was let go today. The station is still on the air for the time being -- they have contracts to run Michael Savage's show as well as A's baseball for a few more weeks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:46:38 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Per some people in-the-know on the radio-info.com SF board, KTRB 860 is pretty much kaput; ownership is bankrupt; the entire staff was let go today. The station is still on the air for the time being -- they have contracts to run Michael Savage's show as well as A's baseball for a few more weeks.

Too bad they're not an FM signal--the folks from KPIG might be a good match to buy their license. They at least get better coverage around the bay than the old 1510 did.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #597 on: September 12, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »

Too bad they're not an FM signal--the folks from KPIG might be a good match to buy their license. They at least get better coverage around the bay than the old 1510 did.

ahh, KPIG, I can dream of the day they return.  Otherwise, I'll be down there first weekend in December, listening every chance I get.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 17, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »
Dunno if anyone else here besides me and Urth listens to Vin Scelsa on WFUV, either via live stream or podcast, but he has recently cut his Sat nite show back to 2 hours from 4.

Now, I thought I remembered that after his surgery 4 years ago (?) he cut back from 4 hours "live" to a first-2-hours "live"/last-2-hours recorded thing. (Per Wiki, some permutation of this was still going on recently.) Whatever -- his Facebook page hasn't been updated since last year either.  But, as is the Scelsa way, he turned this whole decision into an existential crisis that took weeks to resolve, and it forced 'FUV to bring in syndicated programming to replace the missing 2 hours.  I've always loved the guy, but come on -- it's 4 freakin' hours of radio, dude.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 17, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
Dunno if anyone else here besides me and Urth listens to Vin Scelsa on WFUV, either via live stream or podcast, but he has recently cut his Sat nite show back to 2 hours from 4.

Now, I thought I remembered that after his surgery 4 years ago (?) he cut back from 4 hours "live" to a first-2-hours "live"/last-2-hours recorded thing. (Per Wiki, some permutation of this was still going on recently.) Whatever -- his Facebook page hasn't been updated since last year either.  But, as is the Scelsa way, he turned this whole decision into an existential crisis that took weeks to resolve, and it forced 'FUV to bring in syndicated programming to replace the missing 2 hours.  I've always loved the guy, but come on -- it's 4 freakin' hours of radio, dude.

Hate to say it, but that does sound pretty Vin-like. He's a radio genius, but he's pretty neurotic, too, so I can believe this scenario. I haven't listened to him much since the business kicked into gear in the spring, so I'll have to dig around a little and see what I can find.
Let's get right to it.