Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456251 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #555 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »
Was listening to KPIG in the car earlier, and they ran a promo saying that they are offering a commercial-free version of their web stream for $5 a month. So I went to the website, and apparently the "free" version of the stream no longer exists. Any takers?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:26:07 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #556 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Was listening to KPIG in the car earlier, and they ran a promo saying that they are offering a commercial-free version of their web stream for $5 a month. So I went to the website, and apparently the "free" version of the stream no longer exists. Any takers?
I love KPIG, but I'm not paying $5/mo for something I don't even have time to listen to.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
Wow, a while back KPIG completely eliminated DJs in the evenings.  So now there's a campaign to Save The Pig:  http://squeals.kpig.com/showthread.php?tid=213

Love the links to Mapleton (the current owner)'s manager and his love nest for sale.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
Renel returns to Kiss-FM, after "retiring" from radio last year.  just in time for baseball season!

http://www.981kissfm.com/pages/mornings_with_renel.html

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
Renel returns to Kiss-FM, after "retiring" from radio last year.  just in time for baseball season!

http://www.981kissfm.com/pages/mornings_with_renel.html
I listen to KISS in the morning and lunch and drive home. I do not fit into one clear demographic. I like KFOG but less and less, enjoy the Band, enjoy KISS, like 92.3 and alternative. I likes me some old school. As chance has it, after hearing Renel this morning, I went to the station at lunch to pick up my Santana tix. KISS and the Band are evil Clear Channel siblings. I asked if I could check out Tony Sandoval doing the lunch time old school show and was taken into the studio to meet him and he showed me the controls and computer stuff. Same studio Renel was in this morning. Very cool. Cross your fingers for me to be the Carlos meet and greet winner. Won't find out till night of the show on April 22.

I asked about Renel's departure and return. Sounded like she wanted time to refresh and recharge her batteries. Everyone seemed very pleased to have her back. The studio is total walking distance from the ballpark.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 12, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »
Peter Wolf was on Fresh Air this morning.  Great interview.  He's had quite a fun life.  Grew up in the Bronx, learned his showman chops from Apollo Theater legends, went to art school (where he was filmmaker David Lynch's roommate) etc. 

He wouldn't commit to a favorite J. Geils track, but says his fave J. Geils album is Full House, and the template for that non-stop live energetic release was James Brown's Live From The Apollo Theater Vol. 1

archived here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125498015
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:50 AM »
Peter Wolf was on Fresh Air this morning.  Great interview.  He's had quite a fun life.  Grew up in the Bronx, learned his showman chops from Apollo Theater legends, went to art school (where he was filmmaker David Lynch's roommate) etc. 

He wouldn't commit to a favorite J. Geils track, but says his fave J. Geils album is Full House, and the template for that non-stop live energetic release was James Brown's Live From The Apollo Theater Vol. 1

archived here:

Heard that this afternoon on OPB. Very enlightening interview. Even my wife, who had no love whatsoever for the Geils band, really enjoyed it. And Teri Gross never mentioned once (although I did miss the first couple of minutes) that he was once married to Faye Dunaway.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 13, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »

archived here:

Heard that this afternoon on OPB. Very enlightening interview. Even my wife, who had no love whatsoever for the Geils band, really enjoyed it. And Teri Gross never mentioned once (although I did miss the first couple of minutes) that he was once married to Faye Dunaway.

I didn't know about Faye Dunaway -- I don't think Teri mentioned it, either.  (I think she also dated Phil Bronstein, btw and fwiw).
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »

archived here:

I didn't know about Faye Dunaway -- I don't think Teri mentioned it, either.  (I think she also dated Phil Bronstein, btw and fwiw).

oh, who HASN'T dated Bronstein?  ;) (he was married to Sharon Stone -- is that who you were thinking of?)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »

archived here:

oh, who HASN'T dated Bronstein?  ;) (he was married to Sharon Stone -- is that who you were thinking of?)

nope, but I was mistaken: He actually dated Lauren Hutton, not Faye D. 

everyone knows "Mr. Sharon Stone" was married to Sharon Stone..!  :)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 20, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
Our beloved Greg Edwards, formerly of CGSS, will be on London's Jazz-FM for an undetermined number of weeks starting this weekend -- he's doing the 10am - 2pm shift (which, unfortunately, is 2a-6a Pacific).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
Our beloved Greg Edwards, formerly of CGSS, will be on London's Jazz-FM for an undetermined number of weeks starting this weekend -- he's doing the 10am - 2pm shift (which, unfortunately, is 2a-6a Pacific).

ah, but his show is available using their on-demand feature -- he's subbing for a DJ named Robbie Vincent, so it's filed under his name:

http://www.jazzfm.com/listen/aod/robbie-vincent/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
Those whose travels take them thru Chico will be sad to hear that KZAP 96.7, which was simulcasting KPIG, flipped to a talk format featuring Glenn Beck,Phil Hendrie,and Laura Ingram.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
Those whose travels take them thru Chico will be sad to hear that KZAP 96.7, which was simulcasting KPIG, flipped to a talk format featuring Glenn Beck,Phil Hendrie,and Laura Ingram.
what an ignominious turn!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
KFOG was doing the story about the medical marijuana dispensary in SF's Sunset district this morning. The supervisor from that district is feeling the heat from residents who don't want the pot store, and Peter Finch had a clip of that supervisor's aide -- Cammy Blackstone, yes, the same Cammy Blackstone who used to do mornings on KFRC!