Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456445 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #525 on: September 28, 2009, 07:48:14 AM »
Got home around 9:30 from American Idiot and turned on Little Steven; show was in progress, but it was over by 10:30 -- either the Bone omitted one of his segments or else they started the show at 8:30. Either way, a screw-up.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2009, 09:42:53 AM »
The radio request line is about to be brought into the 21st century:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/jelli-crowdsources-radio-programming-on-stations-across-the-us/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 04, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »
Monday afternoon, apx 5:35 -- I'm in the car, I flip over to "Rev 92.7", the Top-40-ish station that replaced "Energy".  They play Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" followed by the current Lady Gaga.

Tuesday afternoon, apx 5:35 -- I'm at the gym and they're playing "Rev 92.7" over the sound system. And they play... Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" followed by the current Lady Gaga.

*sigh*

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Monday afternoon, apx 5:35 -- I'm in the car, I flip over to "Rev 92.7", the Top-40-ish station that replaced "Energy".  They play Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" followed by the current Lady Gaga.

Tuesday afternoon, apx 5:35 -- I'm at the gym and they're playing "Rev 92.7" over the sound system. And they play... Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" followed by the current Lady Gaga.

*sigh*

This was the year I officially gave up on Top 40.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 06, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
Moooovin' 99.7 has hired Fernando & Greg (recently fired when "Energy" died), starting next Thursday. I'm not a fan, but I'm glad they're working.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 20, 2009, 09:24:16 AM »
KOIT has officially done their annual switch to All-Xmas-All-The-Time.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
KOIT has officially done their annual switch to All-Xmas-All-The-Time.

YEAH!  I noticed a couple days ago.  I put it on one morning, and I heard a "No!" from the other room..  I personally love Christmas music, the pop stuff the standards, and the classical works.   
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 20, 2009, 02:26:56 PM »
Moooovin' 99.7 has hired Fernando & Greg (recently fired when "Energy" died), starting next Thursday. I'm not a fan, but I'm glad they're working.

Me too...they annoyed the crap out of me on Energy 92.7, but I've been listening to them the past few mornings and I will say I'm actually digging their new morning show.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 20, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »

Me too...they annoyed the crap out of me on Energy 92.7, but I've been listening to them the past few mornings and I will say I'm actually digging their new morning show.

I saw you make a similar comment on radio-info (where I post as simply "Mike") -- what's been the difference? Are they being "less gay", less over-the-top?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

yeah, they can be funny.  I don't dig Movin's music, though.  When I wake up, I turn the dial frequently and might stop on their show to hear them riff on something for a bit, then I'm gone.  They were talking about the new Twilight movie this AM, and it was amusing, saying how silly -- and hot -- it was that all these guys are walking around in the movie w/o shirts, as if that were normal.  They were mocking the girly audience reaction by shrieking and acting out in that way they do.   It was silly fun.  Btw, I saw a much of teens and tweens lined up last night at 6PM to see the midnight showing off this movie.  I better study up on it before I visit my nieces and nephew at xmas.
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 20, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »

I saw you make a similar comment on radio-info (where I post as simply "Mike") -- what's been the difference? Are they being "less gay", less over-the-top?

I think a little of both.  On energy, my impression was that they were two gay guys, who are already pretty gay, trying to be even more gay.  And it just went beyond the point of being "silly" & into the "stupid" zone IMO.  (I know they had -- and still have -- quite the following, though.)  They just seem like they're not trying overly hard on Movin' & as a result sound more in their element as DJs.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 24, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
NYC's WCBS-FM is doing another A-to-Z, this time by artist -- one song per artist. It's not clear from this list what the criteria is for how they choose the songs for artists with many, but I'm guessing it's their biggest hit. It reportedly took 3 hours to get thru the A's. A sample:

Abba - Dancing Queen  9:01am
Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down 9:05am
ABC - When Smokey Sings 9:09am
Paula Abdul - Straight Up  9:14am
Ace - How Long  9:18am
Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69  9:30am
The Ad Libs - The Boy From New York City 9:34am
Aerosmith - Dream On  9:37am
A-Ha - Take On Me  9:42am
Air Supply - Lost In Love  9:45am
Jewel Akens - The Birds And The Bees  9:57am
Morris Albert - Feelings 10:02am
Alive & Kicking - Tighter, Tighter 10:05am
The Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man 10:08am
Herb Alpert - This Guy's In Love With You 10:13am
The Amazing Rhythm Aces - Third Rate Romance  10:17am
Ambrosia - How Much I Feel 10:29am
America - A Horse With No Name
The American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Me
... etc ...

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 20, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
Citadel Broadcasting, 3rd largest radio owner in the country, filed Chapter 11 today in an effort to restructure a sizable debt.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/20/financial/f101911S72.DTL&tsp=1

Wonder if this will put another glut of stations on the block?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:54 AM »
Nice piece on Berkeley author Michael Chabon and his love of oldies radio in Ben Fong Torres' column today:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/22/PKTR1BIAR6.DTL
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 24, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
Nice piece on Berkeley author Michael Chabon and his love of oldies radio in Ben Fong Torres' column today:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/22/PKTR1BIAR6.DTL

that was terrific. In related news, Mr Fong-Torres did his last show on that KYA Tribute Website this weekend.