Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456175 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #480 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »
listening to KUSC online just now (Classical music from LA). In the middle of a pre-recorded feature piece about how Lorin Maazel is leaving the NY Philharmonic, the studio deejay's mic was hot, so I heard something like:

Lorin Maazel is concluding his seven-year tenure at the New York Philharmonic this week (*GOD DAMMIT!*) with performances of Mahler's 8th, the "Symphony of a Thousand," ...

tee hee!
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
fwiw, 103.7 The Band was not yet playing commercials on Sunday afternoon, but by Monday morning they were.
they also had a morning deejay -- heard a minute or 2 of him signing off Monday morning, since I had a radio with me. It wasn't Greg Kihn.

not a real adventurous setlist (you want adventure, you go to the left of the dial -- or online), but right in my classic rocky wheelhouse whenever I tune in.  It's like a bowl of not too hot, not too cold soup that could use some salt, but meh, why bother?  It's too far to reach.

That about sums it up for me.  Without commercials to worry about I often listened for a half hour or so, or as long as it took for Billie Joel to rear up (except "Piano Man", I listened to that straight through twice in the past month).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:48:27 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
fwiw, 103.7 The Band was not yet playing commercials on Sunday afternoon, but by Monday morning they were.

they also had a morning deejay -- heard a minute or 2 of him signing off Monday morning, since I had a radio with me. It wasn't Greg Kihn.
I still listen to KUFX bot NOT to Greg Kihn. Asswipe. Next season it is inevitable that he'll perform the Nat. Anthem at the Tank and I'm not sure I'll be able to restrain a vigorous Booooooooo sent his way.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »

I still listen to KUFX bot NOT to Greg Kihn. Asswipe. Next season it is inevitable that he'll perform the Nat. Anthem at the Tank and I'm not sure I'll be able to restrain a vigorous Booooooooo sent his way.

LOL!  actually, if Cheap Channel doesn't move him up to "103.7 The Band" when K-Fox disappears, he may end up out of the market entirely, singing at some other hockey team's games.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »
Impending doom for KUFX? Have I missed something? Having Kihn "retire" would be a blessing. He's just obnoxious noise to me now.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »
Impending doom for KUFX? Have I missed something? Having Kihn "retire" would be a blessing. He's just obnoxious noise to me now.

Cheap Channel has to sell KUFX, they're over the limit for ownership in this market.  By all accounts it will switch formats when sold (possibly to Spanish or Asian).  It would make sense for CC to just migrate Kihn and the other jocks to "the Band" in SF, since it's also Classic Rock, but it's not clear what they're gonna do.  I don't like Kihn either, but from a business standpoint, he has a following and given how many Fogheads complain about KFOG's "left-wing bias" it would be smart to bring him up here (and controversy always sells, like it or not).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »
interesting piece from SFGate on how local radio stations choose the music that getson the air:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/30/DDUB18C0AK.DTL&type=music

I'm astounded that Live 105 still plays Coldplay -- I'd've thought their audience would consider them old hat.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
interesting piece from SFGate on how local radio stations choose the music that getson the air:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/30/DDUB18C0AK.DTL&type=music

I'm astounded that Live 105 still plays Coldplay -- I'd've thought their audience would consider them old hat.

Yeah, I'd guess Coldplay would appeal to an older demographic than some of those bands, but most of the  bands on that list that released their first records in the late 80s or early 90s--earlier in the cases of Depeche Mode, Chili Peppers and the Cure, and long before Coldplay came along in what, 2001? Maybe the median Live105 listener is a little older than they'd have us believe?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:54:47 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 01, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
They still play the occasional Marley & Jack Johnson, too.  Part of their demo is the local surf scene.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 01, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
They still play the occasional Marley & Jack Johnson, too.  Part of their demo is the local surf scene.

That makes sense, I guess.  But what I meant about Coldplay was not that they appeal to an older demo, but that the Live 105 "cutting edge" crowd would consider them too big, commercial and ponderous to be a Live 105 band anymore. I never listen to the station -- do they play Snow Patrol, the Fray, and all those other wannabes that KFOG spins incessantly?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:34 AM »

That makes sense, I guess.  But what I meant about Coldplay was not that they appeal to an older demo, but that the Live 105 "cutting edge" crowd would consider them too big, commercial and ponderous to be a Live 105 band anymore. I never listen to the station -- do they play Snow Patrol, the Fray, and all those other wannabes that KFOG spins incessantly?

I don't listen that much either  (No-Name is no less revolting to me than Woody was in the mornings) but I think they play Snow Patrol & The Fray less than before.  Still heavy on The Killers, Kings of Leon & Franz Ferdinand though, which KFOG plays only rarely.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
Joel Selvin's show last nite was a surprisingly thorough career-retrospective on 10cc, from the early songwriting days of Graham Gouldman all the way thru.  I didn't realize they'd written songs for Kaznetz & Katz's bubblegum empire (including "Sausalito", another for the songs-about-California-written-by-Brits-who've-never-been-there list) and that Eric Stewart was a Mindbender -- he sang lead on their "Groovy Kind of Love".

But here's the thing: Selvin spent the entire show mispronouncing the band's name as "ten see sees", as if it were plural. WTF?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #492 on: July 13, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »
Joel Selvin's show last nite was a surprisingly thorough career-retrospective on 10cc, from the early songwriting days of Graham Gouldman all the way thru.  I didn't realize they'd written songs for Kaznetz & Katz's bubblegum empire (including "Sausalito", another for the songs-about-California-written-by-Brits-who've-never-been-there list) and that Eric Stewart was a Mindbender -- he sang lead on their "Groovy Kind of Love".

But here's the thing: Selvin spent the entire show mispronouncing the band's name as "ten see sees", as if it were plural. WTF?
If I saw "10cc" it would certainly seem proper to say "ten see sees"  If the question was what is the volume of a certain fluid, and the written answer is 10cc,  I would say "I have ten cc's of this liquid."  But, if the band has decreed exactly how to pronounce the name, then I understand.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »

If I saw "10cc" it would certainly seem proper to say "ten see sees"  If the question was what is the volume of a certain fluid, and the written answer is 10cc,  I would say "I have ten cc's of this liquid."  But, if the band has decreed exactly how to pronounce the name, then I understand.

well yeah if you're a doctor (or have never heard of the band). But if you're a rock critic/deejay doing an hourlong special about them, you oughta know it's "see see" and not "see sees". I mean, the setup made it sound like he was a big fan, but he doesn't know their name? I've never heard anyone pronounce the band name "see sees" in 36 years.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »

well yeah if you're a doctor (or have never heard of the band). But if you're a rock critic/deejay doing an hourlong special about them, you oughta know it's "see see" and not "see sees". I mean, the setup made it sound like he was a big fan, but he doesn't know their name? I've never heard anyone pronounce the band name "see sees" in 36 years.

I started to listen to his show last night on the ole' bedside clock radio, but my SO demanded I turn it off.   Not b/c she wanted to get some shut-eye, but b/c she's not a fan (to say the least). 

They used to work together, and his continued mis-pronunciation of the band's name falls right in line w what she thinks of him. 
~CPL593H~