Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456290 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
Something about "your book is being written" (i.e. you life is taking shape) or something schmaltzy like that.

That wouldn't be Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten," would it?

(For the record, I like quite a few Beyonce songs, especially "Irreplaceable," which might be in my Top 10 singles of the 2000s; her new hit, "Halo," is also good.)

"unwritten" is it, thanks!  and will chk out your Beyonce suggestions -- I've prob heard them already since she's so poular -- I need to hear more of that new music the kids are listening to.   :D

I always shop at her store, Bed Bath & Beyonce.

Thanks to a past Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror ep from several years ago, Sarah and I now always refer to that chain as Blood Bath and Beyond. :D
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
FYI and (sorta) TANC, Ben Fong-Torres is doing two hours every weeknight (7 to 9) on that KYA-re-creation webstream.

http://www.kyaradio.com/

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »
Per Big Rick on FB, as of 3pm today KKSF is no more. Not sure if it was a format switch or what.

A message on their site's front door says:

May 18, 2009

Today marks the end of an era. KKSF-FM is no longer the Bay Area's home for Smooth Jazz.

Everyone at KKSF would like to thank all the loyal fans of our station and the years of support you've given us. Over our 20 year history, you have always been there for us, and we truly appreciate it. You've traveled to our hundreds of KKSF listener parties and concerts, celebrated at our Sunday Brunches, helped raise over 4 million dollars for Bay Area AIDS organizations by purchasing Samplers for AIDS Relief, and you've listened to countless hours of Smooth Jazz music and artists. That unwavering support is reflected in a rich and successful track record at 103.7 KKSF.

The spirit of KKSF isn't going away, however. KKSF.com will continue to thrive as your source for Smooth Jazz including a digital audio stream of the Smooth Jazz Network as well as videos on demand, concert listings and other features. We hope you'll choose to continue to support the artists and the music online.

While this decision was extremely difficult, KKSF is taking a different path and becoming a new radio station today -- 103.7 The Band. It was made only after exhaustive market research, and extensive economic considerations (yes this is a business). We hope you'll listen and let us know what you think.

Please take a moment and share your thoughts and questions here on the site. We will be updating information regularly and encourage your feedback.

No idea what The Band is. But it sounds classic-rock-ish.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
Per Big Rick on FB, as of 3pm today KKSF is no more. Not sure if it was a format switch or what.

A message on their site's front door says:

May 18, 2009

Today marks the end of an era. KKSF-FM is no longer the Bay Area's home for Smooth Jazz.

Everyone at KKSF would like to thank all the loyal fans of our station and the years of support you've given us. Over our 20 year history, you have always been there for us, and we truly appreciate it. You've traveled to our hundreds of KKSF listener parties and concerts, celebrated at our Sunday Brunches, helped raise over 4 million dollars for Bay Area AIDS organizations by purchasing Samplers for AIDS Relief, and you've listened to countless hours of Smooth Jazz music and artists. That unwavering support is reflected in a rich and successful track record at 103.7 KKSF.

The spirit of KKSF isn't going away, however. KKSF.com will continue to thrive as your source for Smooth Jazz including a digital audio stream of the Smooth Jazz Network as well as videos on demand, concert listings and other features. We hope you'll choose to continue to support the artists and the music online.

While this decision was extremely difficult, KKSF is taking a different path and becoming a new radio station today -- 103.7 The Band. It was made only after exhaustive market research, and extensive economic considerations (yes this is a business). We hope you'll listen and let us know what you think.

Please take a moment and share your thoughts and questions here on the site. We will be updating information regularly and encourage your feedback.

yes, classic rock it is.  I wonder if they couldn't share the smooth market with KBLX.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »

yes, classic rock it is.  I wonder if they couldn't share the smooth market with KBLX.

this was rumored a few days ago on the radio-info.com SF thread.  Why on earth do these smooth jazz stations switch to rock formats in markets where rock struggles to do well?  In NYC they lost smooth jazz to what is now WRXP, which is a bizarre hybrid of Triple-A, hard rock and alternative that is getting NO ratings traction at all after more than a year on the air. And now KKSF gives the Bay Area its FOURTH rock station? The Bone is already doing Classic Rock (as noted recently they seem to have tweaked themselves, adding things like the loooooooooong versions of "Inna Gadda Da Vida" and -- gawd help us -- "Freebird"); KFOG is an older-skewing Triple-A, and Live 105 has the alt tip covered. I'll have to check out the "new" KKSF after 10@10, but I'll be stunned if it's even remotely interesting
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:50:47 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

this was rumored a few days ago on the radio-info.com SF thread.  Why on earth do these smooth jazz stations switch to rock formats in markets where rock struggles to do well?  In NYC they lost smooth jazz to what is now WRXP, which is a bizarre hybrid of Triple-A, hard rock and alternative that is getting NO ratings traction at all after more than a year on the air. And now KKSF gives the Bay Area its FOURTH rock station? The Bone is already doing Classic Rock (as noted recently they seem to have tweaked themselves, adding things like the loooooooooong versions of "Inna Gadda Da Vida" and -- gawd help us -- "Freebird"); KFOG is an older-skewing Triple-A, and Live 105 has the alt tip covered. I'll have to check out the "new" KKSF after 10@10, but I'll be stunned if it's even remotely interesting

I accidentally landed on the new Band yesterday while flipping through the Comcast channels (the tv still said KKSF, Smooth Jazz).  Came in in the middle of Boston "More Than a Feeling", followed by the FM, "Gold Dust Woman" or "Landslide" (I can't remember), then another mid to late 70's whitebread with the crust cut off classic rock track.  Then I switched to Antiques Roadshow.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »

I accidentally landed on the new Band yesterday while flipping through the Comcast channels (the tv still said KKSF, Smooth Jazz).  Came in in the middle of Boston "More Than a Feeling", followed by the FM, "Gold Dust Woman" or "Landslide" (I can't remember), then another mid to late 70's whitebread with the crust cut off classic rock track.  Then I switched to Antiques Roadshow.

LOL!  I just tuned in and got "Night Moves" followed by "Long Cool Creedence in a T-Rex".  The website calls it "Classic Hits" which means they're gonna be like The Drive, I guess, but so far there aren't any "deep tracks" to speak of...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »

LOL!  I just tuned in and got "Night Moves" followed by "Long Cool Creedence in a T-Rex".  The website calls it "Classic Hits" which means they're gonna be like The Drive, I guess, but so far there aren't any "deep tracks" to speak of...

they keep announcing they're doing "10,000 songs in  row" with NO commercials.  That should take at least a week or so.  A stalling tactic until they can assemble an on-air staff?  or possibly traffic some ads?

this AM I heard

BILLY JOEL   Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
JOHN LENNON      Imagine   

playlist -- I notice some gaps:  http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075075083070045070077
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:50:05 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »
so, what are we gonna be hearing in Dentists' offices now that KKSF is toast? Classical?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »

they keep announcing they're doing "10,000 songs in  row" with NO commercials.  That should take at least a week or so.  A stalling tactic until they can assemble an on-air staff?  or possibly traffic some ads?

this AM I heard

BILLY JOEL   Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
JOHN LENNON      Imagine   

playlist -- I notice some gaps:  http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075075083070045070077

I think I commented on this in another thread, but it wasn't this one and I can't find it via search. But about a week and a half back, one of the local oldies stations (there were at least two in Portland) flipped to a late 70s & 80s-classic-rock format, and like The Band, their sign-on gimmick was to play 10K songs in a row. (I think they're another CC station--big surprise). I have no idea how long they're planning to take to get thru that many songs, as I couldn't listen to them more than once or twice for about 20 minutes each, but I'd have to guess they're still at it. Figure if they play an average of 15 songs an hour, that's 360 songs per day, so it's going to be a good 27 days and change of non-stop classic rock before they can start generating revenue playing paying ads.

They're heavy on AC/DC and Scorpions and Def Leppard and the like, which I've never had a taste for. But like SF, Portland is not lacking for rock stations (by my count we already have two classic rock outlets, a AAA, a couple of oldies stations, and an alternative station that plays far more music from the 80s and 90s than currents, which almost makes them an oldies station too) , so it's curious why they chose that format. I listened to the station in its former incarnation on occasion--its oldies weren't particularly out of the norm, but they were the only station I could stand to listen to that has drive time traffic reports more often than every 30 minutes. (There's no equivalent of KCBS here. There's a couple of talk stations, but the one that does regular traffic, KEX, is conservative talk, and I can barely stand to listen to them AT ALL, even long enough to find out if there's traffic on I-5 or not.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:42:45 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
so, what are we gonna be hearing in Dentists' offices now that KKSF is toast? Classical?

My dentist plays show tunes.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »

KDFC 102.1 plays single movements excepted from larger works, and they don't venture too far from the "lite" florid non-challenging stuff, so yes, we could conceivably be hearing them at the dentist.  KDFC is considered a joke among classical music purists.  

So your dentist plays smooth jazz?  

Also, when was the last time you got into an elevator and actually heard piped-in music?  Did that really happen?  Or is it such part of the collective mythology now that we're convinced it once existed?

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »

KDFC 102.1 plays single movements excepted from larger works, and they don't venture too far from the "lite" florid non-challenging stuff, so yes, we could conceivably be hearing them at the dentist.  KDFC is considered a joke among classical music purists.  

So your dentist plays smooth jazz?  

Also, when was the last time you got into an elevator and actually heard piped-in music?  Did that really happen?  Or is it such part of the collective mythology now that we're convinced it once existed?

I heard KKSF during my last root canal. Seriously.  And yeah, "elevator music" went out-of-fashion decades ago, but it really did exist once (I remember it as a child).  Ah, but Wiki knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_music
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:54:51 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
instead of TNG reruns?
 ;) ;) ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
instead of TNG reruns?
 ;) ;) ;)

LOL.  I actually did watch the last 10 minutes of the one just before "The Hunted".  And the opening to "The Hunted", but switched to my novel at that point.  ("Matter", by Iain M. Banks - very nice)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing