Author Topic: 15 Aug 2008: a "classic" from... 1992  (Read 5873 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Aug 2008: a "classic" from... 1992
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »

that Dan Quayle/Murpy Brown bit is a certain Katrina.

Oh yeah.  But we (being the fun-loving group that we are) have a separate term for a Soundbite Katrina - Sally - after the overplayed "You like me" Oscar acceptance speech.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:51:46 AM »
it did seem somewhat ironically pitiful/funny having someone as clueless as I doing play-by-play on a year I know so little about!  Now at least people will know the names of the songs!

LOL!  I'm certainly glad I bailed.  The pattern, in this month of Friday "classics", is certainly in keeping with our oft-stated theory about Dave choosing crappy years for days when he's not there. But Mon-Thurs this week were excellent sets, so I can't complain... too much.

And really, not a bad set compared to most from that year.  Course I can say that since I barely listened to it.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
it did seem somewhat ironically pitiful/funny having someone as clueless as I doing play-by-play on a year I know so little about!  Now at least people will know the names of the songs!

LOL!  I'm certainly glad I bailed.  The pattern, in this month of Friday "classics", is certainly in keeping with our oft-stated theory about Dave choosing crappy years for days when he's not there. But Mon-Thurs this week were excellent sets, so I can't complain... too much.
almost all was underwhelming, but I actually kinda liked Dada's "Dizz Knee Land"   8)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »

Oh yeah.  But we (being the fun-loving group that we are) have a separate term for a Soundbite Katrina - Sally - after the overplayed "You like me" Oscar acceptance speech.
heh, good one. 

Another Oscar Sally that comes to mind instantly: Vanessa (Lynn?) Redgrave at the getting smacked down by Rod Steiger after she spoke out on the Middle East situation.  I love that one.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »
it did seem somewhat ironically pitiful/funny having someone as clueless as I doing play-by-play on a year I know so little about!  Now at least people will know the names of the songs!

almost all was underwhelming, but I actually kinda liked Dada's "Dizz Knee Land"   8)

you just pissed off President George!  (and Gaz, who hates that one, iirc)  Dada had a great Xmas song that year -- "My Baby Fell For Old St Nick".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

heh, good one. 

Another Oscar Sally that comes to mind instantly: Vanessa (Lynn?) Redgrave at the getting smacked down by Rod Steiger after she spoke out on the Middle East situation.  I love that one.

That's absolutely in the top 10.

except it was Paddy Chayefsky, who did the smacking wasn't it?

<RGMike will know>

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »

heh, good one. 

That's absolutely in the top 10.

except it was Paddy Chayefsky, who did the smacking wasn't it?

<RGMike will know>
yes, you are correct, sir:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Chayefsky

He is known for his comments during the 1978 Oscar telecast after Vanessa Redgrave made a controversial speech denouncing the "Zionist hoodlums" who had threatened her (in reference to threats from the Jewish Defense League, identified by the FBI as a right-wing terrorist group), while accepting her award for Best Supporting Actress in Julia. Two hours later, [1] after no one had commented on her speech, while presenting an award Chayefsky stated his distaste for Redgrave's using the award event to make a political point. He said, "I would like to suggest to Miss Redgrave that her winning an Academy Award is not a pivotal moment in history, does not require a proclamation and a simple 'Thank you' would have sufficed." He received loud applause for his riposte to Redgrave. Later, in an interview, he stated that he was offended by her "cracks about Jews" and about having sat and "praying somebody would say something" and commented only because no one did.[1]

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
http://www.10at10club.com/poc/glossary.html#S
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

SFGuy

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

I thought it was kind of underwhelming week. Today's was a Zzzzzzzz. All of you know I don't like early 70's so that gets rid of 2 days. 85 was OK. I guess 1980 was good.

I think 10@10 should expand the music range so they have the entire 60's. So Dave could do one day of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Plus one day of specials (i.e. Instrumentals, Soul Patrol, Vertical Tasting or whatever theme comes up).