Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/12/08  (Read 8010 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/12/08
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
The 'Poo stream is again behaving quite well--so far.

Heard Sharon Jones earlier, now we're getting a cover of The Shadow of Your Smile that I'm not sure if it's a woman or Stevie Wonder.

ETA: OK, we just heard a harmonica solo, and he's really belting it out now--it's Stevie for sure. When he was singing in a more restrained style on the early verses, it coulda been a woman.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:59:56 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/12/08
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Did I miss it, or was there no handoff from Marilynn to Judge "pleasuring your earhole" this morning? I have yet to hear a live announcer on here.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
Did I miss it, or was there no handoff from Marilynn to Judge "pleasuring your earhole" this morning? I have yet to hear a live announcer on here.

I'm listening to Greg's Friday CGSS since I missed large chunks of it. Let me know if Judge actually shows up.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »

I'm listening to Greg's Friday CGSS since I missed large chunks of it. Let me know if Judge actually shows up.

You might wanna check this out--it's been pretty good so far. They're playing a Sly Stone track right now (Remember Who You Are?) that I'm not recognizing. Oops, just segued into something else, but it all seems to be 70s-era soul.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
[I'm listening to Greg's Friday CGSS since I missed large chunks of it.

here's Jim Gilstrap's delightful "Swing Your Daddy", a big UK hit in 1975 but only a mid-charter here. If you're saying "Jim WHO?", he's the guy who sang the opening lines of Stevie's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »

You might wanna check this out--it's been pretty good so far. They're playing a Sly Stone track right now (Remember Who You Are?) that I'm not recognizing. Oops, just segued into something else, but it all seems to be 70s-era soul.

OK, I've switched!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »

OK, I've switched!

Just convinced myself I wasn't imagining it--they've been playing just portions of the last several songs, but doing some nice segues between them. This definitely doesn't sound like Judge.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »

OK, I've switched!

Just convinced myself I wasn't imagining it--they've been playing just portions of the last several songs, but doing some nice segues between them. This definitely doesn't sound like Judge.

methinks you are correct -- The Dan's "Black Cow" popped up for a few seconds!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
They just had a live station ID, but all he read were the call letters and frequency, and then back into the music. And that was the first break since noon, when there was a canned ID. Oh, and it definitely wasn't Judge.

ETA: Man, I wish I had a buck for every song we've heard a piece of since the top of the hour. Must be up around 30-plus now. I could go get myself a really nice lunch. :)

Just heard the intro to Player's Baby Come Back, but he segued into something else as the vocals were about to kick in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:56:07 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
They just had a live station ID, but all he read were the call letters and frequency, and then back into the music. And that was the first break since noon, when there was a canned ID. Oh, and it definitely wasn't Judge.

here's the intro to Player's "Baby Come Back" -- leading into something else I don't recognize.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Oh, and I must give props to KPOO for the improved stream quality--nary a dropout or a buffering episode since I tuned in almost 90 minutes ago.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:01:54 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »
"a vintage session with DJ TD Camp" -- was that by way of introduction?  I'm wondering if this is on tape or if someone is mixing live?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
we got all of Masakela's "Grazin in the Grass", then into Sly "If You want Me to Stay". Nice.

followed by more trumpet: Herb Alpert's "Rise". wha-wha-wha-wha-whaaaaaaaaa...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:50:47 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »
"a vintage session with DJ TD Camp" -- was that by way of introduction?  I'm wondering if this is on tape or if someone is mixing live?

I think you might have hit on it.

Bummed to have missed the Masekela/Sly duo. Couldn't put off lunch any longer.

And the buffering issues have returned. So I retract my props.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
dunno if you caught that plug for hellarecords.com... but on that website, DJ TD Camp is selling his CDs -- looks like that's what we've been listening to!