Author Topic: RIP William F Buckley  (Read 3719 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP William F Buckley
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
no doubt someone here will say "RIH" but he was iconic, influential, frequently satirized and unique.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/business/media/27cnd-buckley.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP William F Buckley
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
no doubt someone here will say "RIH" but he was iconic, influential, frequently satirized and unique.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/business/media/27cnd-buckley.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Sorry, no love from me, though I'll stop short of "RIH."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »

Sorry, no love from me, though I'll stop short of "RIH."

Ever see Hook?  Dustin Hoffman's weird take on Capt. Hook was based on Buckley.  He once said that it was because he could think of nothing more frightening to young children than WFB.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »
he was a good writer. amen.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »

and compared to today's O'Reilly/Limbaugh/Coulter conservatives, he was practically a wild-eyed libertarian (well, except for that AIDS-quarantine thing). 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:32:42 PM »

and compared to today's O'Reilly/Limbaugh/Coulter conservatives, he was practically a wild-eyed libertarian (well, except for that AIDS-quarantine thing). 

and the whole anti-civil-rights thing, which he eventually changed course on, but still ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

well, I don't know if RIH is my reaction, but he seemed to be one of the first of the lot to pave the way for all these right-wing talking heads.  I always resented the way he wouldn't let people respond logically to his warped points of view.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

SFGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »

He changed as he aged. He was a libertarian in regards to being in favor of the legalization of pot. Actually compared to Man Coulter he's a liberal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 05:40:29 AM »

He changed as he aged. He was a libertarian in regards to being in favor of the legalization of pot. Actually compared to Man Coulter he's a liberal.

she is kinda manly...  ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:36:02 AM »

I love the internet rumor that she's a tranny. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:52:22 AM »

Mannish depression is a frustrating mess.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »

Mannish depression is a frustrating mess.

a new lyric! i always sang, "is a full straight and miss!" don't ask me what it means.