Author Topic: 20 Feb 2008 -- It's 1980  (Read 12721 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Feb 2008 -- It's 1980
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
and here's yer Lennon clip into  -- UGH! "People Who Died".. for shame, Dave -- seriously.
I was on the air in NJ the night Lennon died, ended up doing the overnight, playing all Beatles/Lennon and network news updates until sunrise. I recall taking calls from listeners whose clock radios went off at 5am or 6am tuned to our station, woke up not knowing what all the fuss was about.

Wow!  I was in NYC and heard the news from Vin Scelsa. And of course WNEW-FM went into several days of all-Beatles-all-the-time programming.
I have Vin Scelsa on tape from that night, from WNEW-FM's 20th Anniversary retrospect in 1987

I've heard the Scelsa tape a few times--always gives me chills. (Dave's got it in his clip archive, and I believe Vin played it on his Live At Lunch Internet show (RIP) a number of years ago on the anniversary of Lennon's death.)
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
and here's yer Lennon clip into  -- UGH! "People Who Died".. for shame, Dave -- seriously.
I was on the air in NJ the night Lennon died, ended up doing the overnight, playing all Beatles/Lennon and network news updates until sunrise. I recall taking calls from listeners whose clock radios went off at 5am or 6am tuned to our station, woke up not knowing what all the fuss was about.

Wow!  I was in NYC and heard the news from Vin Scelsa. And of course WNEW-FM went into several days of all-Beatles-all-the-time programming.
I have Vin Scelsa on tape from that night, from WNEW-FM's 20th Anniversary retrospect in 1987

so, what station were you on and what was your air name?
WGLS-FM, the radio station of Glassboro, now Rowan Univ, it covers South Jersey from Philly to Atlantic City.  Many good times on-the-air then, in the days of turntables, cart machines & newswire teletype.  I still have all the teletype paper from 12/8-9/80 as details of Lennon story were emerging. And I went to the Dakota two weeks later during Xmas break. Eerie visit there at night.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »

I've heard the Scelsa tape a few times--always gives me chills. (Dave's got it in his clip archive, and I believe Vin played it on his Live At Lunch Internet show (RIP) a number of years ago on the anniversary of Lennon's death.)
Yeah, Scelsa was understandably choked-up, but still professional. Such a sense of loss in his voice and those of his callers that night.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »

so, what station were you on and what was your air name?
WGLS-FM, the radio station of Glassboro, now Rowan Univ, it covers South Jersey from Philly to Atlantic City.  Many good times on-the-air then, in the days of turntables, cart machines & newswire teletype.  I still have all the teletype paper from 12/8-9/80 as details of Lennon story were emerging. And I went to the Dakota two weeks later during Xmas break. Eerie visit there at night.

College radio in those days -- ah, memories.  I was at the Fordham U station, WFUV, in the'70s when it was totally student-staffed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »

Yeah, Scelsa was understandably choked-up, but still professional. Such a sense of loss in his voice and those of his callers that night.

Yep--it's so obvious that he's just rocked, but still carrying on for his listeners, and vice versa.

I had the opportunity to meet Vin a few years back, while he was doing the aforementioned Live At Lunch show from J&R Music in Manhattan. A true gentleman, very gracious, tons of stories. A memory I will hold close for the rest of my days.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »

Yep--it's so obvious that he's just rocked, but still carrying on for his listeners, and vice versa.

I had the opportunity to meet Vin a few years back, while he was doing the aforementioned Live At Lunch show from J&R Music in Manhattan. A true gentleman, very gracious, tons of stories. A memory I will hold close for the rest of my days.

BTW, his current show is still avail for streaming on the 'FUV website (wfuv.org) -- or was the last time I looked.  I always forget to check in with him.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
first half looks pretty good

2/20/2008 - Wednesday! Soundin' Good in...1980!!!

1.   Cars - Touch and Go      
2.   Dire Straits - Expresso Love      
3.   Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing      
4.   SOS Band - Take Your Time (Do it Right)      
5.   Clash - London Calling (BEST OF SET!!)      
6.   Kings - This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide      
7.   XTC - Generals and Majors      
8.   Ray Goodman & Brown - Special Lady      
9.   Pointer Sisters - He's So Shy      
10.   Jim Carroll Band - People Who Died      

BONUS TRACK:  Elvis Costello - I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2008, 12:02:39 PM »

BONUS TRACK:  Elvis Costello - I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down

Holy flaming mother of God!  Annalisa plays a bonus from an LP that has NEVER graced a Morey '80 set, afaik.  Amazing.  I just heard the orig (ballad) version of ICSUFFD the other day -- a fine Isaac Hayes/David Porter composition.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:04:28 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
BOS4 Pointers, "Only a Fool Would Believe That He's So Shy"

Robbie Dupree: "Can I borrow that lick, too?"
McDonald/Loggins: "Steal away!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »

BTW, his current show is still avail for streaming on the 'FUV website (wfuv.org) -- or was the last time I looked.  I always forget to check in with him.

I want to archive this conversation.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »
BOS4 Pointers, "Only a Fool Would Believe That He's So Shy"

Robbie Dupree: "Can I borrow that lick, too?"
McDonald/Loggins: "Steal away!"

LOL! thanks, I was trying to think of another song or two in that category. Well, C'est la Vie, Sweetheart!

SFGuy

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:47 AM »
I was on-the-air the night Lennon died, ended up doing the overnight, playing all Beatles/Lennon and network news updates until sunrise. I recall taking calls from listeners whose clock radios went off at 5am or 6am tuned to our station, who woke up not knowing what all the fuss was about.

I was only 12 when Lennon died. I actually never heard of the Beatles until Lennon died. To me Paul McCartney was that "dude" from Wings. I did own Lennon's 1980 album (of course it was half good and half bad, you all know which half was bad).