Author Topic: The Peak, 1/17/08: 1985  (Read 1800 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Peak, 1/17/08: 1985
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
Chris Isaak Dancin'
Rockin' Sydney My Toot Toot
Fine Young Cannibals Johnny Come Home
Don Henley Sunset Grill
Ramones Howling at the Moon
Prince Raspberry Beret
John Fogerty Rock and Roll Girls
Paul Young Every Time You Go Away
Robert Palmer Addicted to Love
Marshall Crenshaw I'm Sorry (But So Is Brenda Lee)

sadly, the Peak re-configured their player, it now requires a Jetcast plug-in -- which I installed to no avail.  Bummer.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, 1/17/08: 1985
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
Chris Isaak Dancin'
Don Henley Sunset Grill
Prince Raspberry Beret

sadly, the Peak re-configured their player, it now requires a Jetcast plug-in -- which I installed to no avail.  Bummer.

Wow, three songs I'd never heard before, too.  (I assume "My Toot Toot" is a cover of the 1981 Jean Knight near-hit that I've also never heard?)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
Chris Isaak Dancin'
Don Henley Sunset Grill
Prince Raspberry Beret

Wow, three songs I'd never heard before, too.  (I assume "My Toot Toot" is a cover of the 1981 Jean Knight near-hit that I've also never heard?)

Rockin' Sydney's "Toot Toot" is the original, more or less -- something of an underground sensation, it was immediately covered by both Jean Knight and Denise LaSalle, and  so the 2 '70s Soul-divas versions cancelled each other out and neither was a hit.  So what are the other two? Crenshaw and... ?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
Chris Isaak Dancin'
Don Henley Sunset Grill
Prince Raspberry Beret

Rockin' Sydney's "Toot Toot" is the original, more or less -- something of an underground sensation, it was immediately covered by both Jean Knight and Denise LaSalle, and  so the 2 '70s Soul-divas versions cancelled each other out and neither was a hit.  So what are the other two? Crenshaw and... ?

Los Ramones.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »

Los Ramones.

BTW, Fogerty also covered "My Toot Toot" (as a duet with Rockin' Sydney) on the B-side of "Change in the Weather", a flop 45 from 1986. I always get Rockin' Sydney confused with Rockin' Dopsie.   

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »

Los Ramones.

BTW, Fogerty also covered "My Toot Toot" (as a duet with Rockin' Sydney) on the B-side of "Change in the Weather", a flop 45 from 1986. I always get Rockin' Sydney confused with Rockin' Dopsie.   

I found a marvelous clip of this at http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVrNxdfVzJA (Rockin' Sydney, that is)