Author Topic: 7 Dec 2007: it's 1967!!!  (Read 8101 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Dec 2007: it's 1967!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
I'm exhausted!  Yes, Dave that WAS great!

Been listening bur far too busy to post much.

Three AMAZING sets out of the five this week--pretty fookin' gleat!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »
I'm exhausted!  Yes, Dave that WAS great!

Been listening bur far too busy to post much.

Three AMAZING sets out of the five this week--pretty fookin' gleat!

Amen, brotha!  I may have to bypass Mr Kasem in favor of the marathon tomo'w.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Post-set music not too shabby either, David Gray notwithstanding. We've heard Marley's Roots Rock Reggae and now the Dan, Deacon Blues.

Learn to work the saxophone...

Pete Christlieb rules on this one.

ETA: Love that understated pizzacato guitar solo that the tune ends with, too. Not sure who played that tho--maybe Larry Carlton?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:00:33 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 11:12:41 AM »
Bonus: Annalisa gives us a ticket on an aeroplane -- First Class, and you get to sit next to a fella named Chilton.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »
Listening from work.  Hooray for the (sadly presumably final) 40th-anniversary visit to my favorite pop year.  Alas, I missed the dance down Johannesburg way.

Would be even better if we get really early Sly, to amp me up for tonight's show.
final?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
list
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
12/07/2007 - Friday!! Waaay back to...1967!!!

1.   Cream - I Feel Free      
2.   Stones - Dandelion      
3.   Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata      
4.   Easy Beats - Friday on My Mind      
5.   Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze  (improperly posted at KFOG as Are You Experienced?)   
6.   Who - I Can See For Miles      
7.   Erma Franklin - Piece of My Heart      
8.   Beach Boys - Wild Honey      
9.   Lulu - To Sir Witih Love (BEST OF SET!!)      
10.   Beatles - All You Need is Love      

BONUS TRACK:  Box Tops - The Letter
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:07:55 PM by ggould »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
hooray for Vanda & Young -- they had Friday on their Mind long before they noticed that Love is in the Air.

yeah, but this is becoming the most colossal of Katrinas.  Even more so because we always get a snippet of Easybeats every Friday at 5:00 anyway.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:18 PM »
hooray for Vanda & Young -- they had Friday on their Mind long before they noticed that Love is in the Air.

yeah, but this is becoming the most colossal of Katrinas.  Even more so because we always get a snippet of Easybeats every Friday at 5:00 anyway.

True. It's similar to what happens with certain Dave faves in '68 and '69 -- since we don't visit those years that often, frequent fliers become Katrinas more easily (hello "Na Na Hey Hey" and "Someday We'll Be Together"). I'm so grateful that we still visit the '60s at all that I try to cut Dave slack.  Better the Easybeats in '67 than Crowded House in '87.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »
Listening from work.  Hooray for the (sadly presumably final) 40th-anniversary visit to my favorite pop year.  Alas, I missed the dance down Johannesburg way.

Would be even better if we get really early Sly, to amp me up for tonight's show.
final?

Only in the sense that future visits to 1967 won't be 40th-anniversary.

Had a great time at the Sly & the Family Stone concert, though it's not something I'll wildly or widely recommend.  Deets to follow after a night's sleep.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
woke up early today, and thank goodness as the week's sets seem to be going in chronological order, '67-'70'-76 so far.  What a great set this was!

my Uber BOS goes to Miriam Makeba.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
woke up early today, and thank goodness as the week's sets seem to be going in chronological order, '67-'70'-76 so far.  What a great set this was!

my Uber BOS goes to Miriam Makeba.

I was already awake, listening to a Nov '75 Casey Kasem Klassic, but I switched over just in time to hear that fab '67/'70/'76 trifecta, right after I heard Casey play "Born to Run" at #23 -- its PEAK position!! One of the most mind-boggling pieces of chart trivia I can think of.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:05:56 PM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: list
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »

1.   Cream - I Feel Free      
2.   Stones - Dandelion      
5.   Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced      

Just noticed that the KFOG site (and hence the above list) shows Are You Experienced for the Hendrix track; it was actually Purple Haze. Dave started to announce AYE during the backsell, then caught himself and correctly read Purple Haze, but guess he didn't correct the list he gave to the intern.

After the week I had last week (don't get me started) I welcomed the opportunity to sleep in, so I missed '67 entirely, woke up for the latter half of '70, then drifted off again and arose for good during the '76 set. Luckily, got home last night in time to turn on the recorder and captured '67 that way--just finished giving it a closer listen now, as I was far too distracted yesterday morning. (Anyone know of any good editorial gigs around SF? Or washing cars? Slinging hash? Just about anything sounds good compared to the way things are going at my current gig.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »
After the week I had last week (don't get me started) I welcomed the opportunity to sleep in, so I missed '67 entirely, woke up for the latter half of '70, then drifted off again and arose for good during the '76 set. Luckily, got home last night in time to turn on the recorder and captured '67 that way--just finished giving it a closer listen now, as I was far too distracted yesterday morning. (Anyone know of any good editorial gigs around SF? Or washing cars? Slinging hash? Just about anything sounds good compared to the way things are going at my current gig.)

Hang in there, bub. We've all been there. Hope things get better.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »
Quote from: urth
Just noticed that the KFOG site (and hence the above list) shows Are You Experienced for the Hendrix track; it was actually Purple Haze. Dave started to announce AYE during the backsell, then caught himself and correctly read Purple Haze, but guess he didn't correct the list he gave to the intern.
I changed my original post, based on your comments.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 12:09:53 AM »

1.   Cream - I Feel Free      
2.   Stones - Dandelion      
5.   Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced      

I can so relate. I missed 67 entirely day, nite and replay. Did catch 70 and 76 whicle running around this morning. Just FAB. LOVE 70. Can't believe I missed the BOS Lulu. Would you burn me a holiday copy of 67?

Howz about a post holiday lunch and Amoeba run? I'm involuntarily off work all week.
Sharks bleed teal.