Author Topic: It's already starting to look like a long baseball season  (Read 11001 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
It's already starting to look like a long baseball season
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:17:54 PM »
Barry is out probably thru May at least. The armor is starting to crack...

http://sfgate.com//cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/17/bonds17.TMP
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 10:20:59 PM »
convenient too.  By May, America's short-term memory will perhaps have moved on to something other than 'roids?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »
Bonds can go shuck a dick.  Preferably his own.  If he didn't want the media to give him such a hard time, perhaps he should have played within the rules of the game, perhaps he shouldn't have been so antagonistic with people who are doing their jobs, and perhaps he should have only played the racism card where it was applicable.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a very long time and now my patience is worn thin.  If the media can give him a reason to not play, then he should by all means not play.  He can go play pickup games with his friends if he still has a love of the game.  Clearly he's indifferent to whether his team wins or loses, so it seems he's sticking around either for the money or the records.  He'll soon not have the latter.  Too bad, so sad.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:31:17 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Bonds can go shuck a dick.  Preferably his own.  If he didn't want the media to give him such a hard time, perhaps he should have played within the rules of the game, perhaps he shouldn't have been so antagonistic with people who are doing their jobs, and perhaps he should have only played the racism card where it was applicable.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a very long time and now my patience is worn thin.  If the media can give him a reason to not play, then he should by all means not play.  He can go play pickup games with his friends if he still has a love of the game.  Clearly he's indifferent to whether his team wins or loses, so it seems he's sticking around either for the money or the records.  He'll soon not have the latter.  Too bad, so sad.

yeah, what he said.
signed,
someone who never, ever liked barry bonds

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the race card
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 12:52:36 PM »
sorry, but for some reason, I've always assumed the problem they had with Barry was that he was a surly black man.  Surly white men get a pass, but not Barry.  Barry is reputedly quite unpleasant.  So fucking what!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: the race card
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 01:04:42 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
sorry, but for some reason, I've always assumed the problem they had with Barry was that he was a surly black man.  Surly white men get a pass, but not Barry.  Barry is reputedly quite unpleasant.  So fucking what!

you're probably right. but i don't like anyone who doesn't understand the meaning of the word "teamwork." except maybe fran leibovitz.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
I'm still looking forward to the Giants games. Not the Bonds games. Opening day will be a GRAND event, without him.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:47:59 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

If I have to choose between the media and Barry, it's pretty much a toss-up.  Barry refused to play the media game, the media takes offense.  They take every negative spin on him they can.  Screw objectivity, Barry is a jerk.  On the other hand, the media game is part of Barry's job.  He is a total jerk.  Great ballplayer, probably a cheater (who isn't -- if they can get away with it, they will do it -- corked bats, spitballs, stealing signs), big ass jerk.  But the media does have it out for him, which skews their reporting.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 03:40:44 PM »
Hey Rod, didya see that the Raiders will play in the Season-kickoff game in Sept? -- a Thursday nite game against the Patriots in NE.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Barry's career over?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/03/22/bonds22.TMP&type=printable

The lead says it all: Is Barry Bonds so beaten down by knee surgeries, government investigations and bad press that he might retire? Or, was he just blowing off steam and looking for sympathy?

I'm betting the latter. He wants the career home run record so bad he can taste it a mile away. He's just whining and looking for some public sympathy. He might get it around here, but around the country, naaah.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 05:56:49 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/03/22/bonds22.TMP&type=printable

The lead says it all: Is Barry Bonds so beaten down by knee surgeries, government investigations and bad press that he might retire? Or, was he just blowing off steam and looking for sympathy?

I'm betting the latter. He wants the career home run record so bad he can taste it a mile away. He's just whining and looking for some public sympathy. He might get it around here, but around the country, naaah.

I'm thinking the latter too.  But it's not just around the country, you should hear what some of my A's friends are saying.  Hell, I'm a Giant's fan and I don't pity him one little bit.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 07:38:59 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "urth"

I'm thinking the latter too.  But it's not just around the country, you should hear what some of my A's friends are saying.  Hell, I'm a Giant's fan and I don't pity him one little bit.
if everyone hates him so much, why did they (other team's fans) boo their own pitchers for walking Barry?  People are funny indeed.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »
The Giants' 2005 ad campaign, which revolves around the invincibility of Barry, is looking particularly ridiculous right now. I can't believe they're still running those spots.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The Giants' 2005 ad campaign, which revolves around the invincibility of Barry, is looking particularly ridiculous right now. I can't believe they're still running those spots.

yes, i heard one this morning! quite funny.