Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399035 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
Odetta

THE Odetta?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes!   The one and only. 

The real question is: did you see MC Hammer? :)
Sounds like a fine, fine show! Imagine seeing Robert Plant for free!

no -- I couldn't touch that.  Couldn't make it there that early.

yeah, Robert plant sill has, like, THE BEST HAIR EVER...  even though he resembles someone's grandmother at times.

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »

even though he resembles someone's grandmother at times.

OMGWTFLOL!!!!!

...no...really....I embarassed myself and had to explain.  *Thanks* Tinka.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 10, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

even though he resembles someone's grandmother at times.

probably not from the waist down! ;)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 14, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
ust seen via the KFOG page,
Saturday 10/25 lineup: Neil Young, Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Death Cab For Cutie, Wilco, Cat Power (ZZ Top no longer performing due to a scheduling conflict)
Who is Cat Power?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 14, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »
Saturday 10/25 lineup: Neil Young, Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Death Cab For Cutie, Wilco, Cat Power (ZZ Top no longer performing due to a scheduling conflict)
Who is Cat Power?

She's a basket case with a soulful voice.  She does the occasional effective cover, but her live concerts are wildly erratic; inebration and tears are often involved.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »
Who is Cat Power?

inebration and tears are often involved.
From her or is that what I'll be reduced to? I don't have trouble with the inebriation part.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
Who is Cat Power?

inebration and tears are often involved.
From her or is that what I'll be reduced to? I don't have trouble with the inebriation part.

Too bad ZZ won't be playing -- they would be one huge reason for me to attend on Saturday.  The remaining lineup is still great, though. You can't lose w the Bridge School Benefit: even if everyone comes out and plays accordian polkas, your $$ still goes to a good cause. 
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »
Joe Jackson

I skipped the debate last night in favor of Joe Jackson at the Warfield.  It was Joe, Graham and the drummer, whose name I can't remember and can't find on the internet (Joe's site is riddled with javascript errors that play havoc with my development machine).  Anyway, no electric guitar, which was different.

But not bad at all.  The musicianship was magnificent.  The evening was filled with quirky arrangements of JJ classics and rousing introductions to Joe's newer material.  Opening with "Steppin' Out", they moved on to a couple off the new album Rain, including "Invisible Man", which I recognized from some KFOG exposure.  The early highlight was "Fools In Love", with a few verses of the Yardbirds classic "For Your Love" melded in the middle.  Joe also covered a Niel Finn tune, and later a rollicking version of Bowie's "Scary Monsters".  "We usually don't do two covers in one show," said Joe in introducing the Bowie tune, before acknowledging Bowie as one of his "heros."

The set ended with "One More Time" -- as one of my favorite JJ songs, it was great to hear, but really could have used the guitar part.  They came back to encore with a drum driven version of "You Can't Get What You Want" that was pretty incredible.  That was followed with a by-the-book rendition of "Is She Really Going Out With Him."  The show wrapped up with Joe solo in the spotlight belting out "A Slow Song."

The intimate crowd of "hardcore" Jackson fans had a fine time.  Joe mentioned this was second trip through the Bay Area this year and asked how many of us had been at the May show -- by the reaction, quite a few.  I'm guessing that the relatively light turnout (maybe two thirds sold out) was due to the earlier appearance.  I spent most of the evening standing stage left, within two or three feet of the stage, which was very nice.

Oh, and "Freebird!"-boy was there.  While Joe was introducing a song ("Solo", or maybe "So Low", from the new album, a beautiful and depressing piano ballad Joe performed solo), the guy bellowed out "Would it be 'Freebird', Joe?"  So, he tried to make it fresh -- and failed.

Idiot.

ETA:  I looked it up on Amazon -- not surprisingly:  7. Solo (So Low)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:44:56 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 17, 2008, 02:45:10 AM »
Joe Jackson

I skipped the debate last night in favor of Joe Jackson at the Warfield. 

I think Dave Houghton is the man you're seeking.

We should keep a log of the Freebird dude's appearances.

Sounds like a fine show! They cancelled their Madrid show last year, and I was out of town when they came this year.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Very Strange "concert"
« Reply #669 on: October 19, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »
we were down at Martha's mom's managed care facility today for her 91st birthday party, and as entertainment, they had this guy called "Alligator."  He played accordian, violin, electric guitar and mandolin.  Here he is, playing his Steve Vai guitar with his teeth, in front of the residents!  Alligator is almost 67, and says he was an influence on Hendrix, Elvis, and so on.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:34:46 PM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 20, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
Review (with setlist at end) of Tina Turner at HP San Jose Sunday:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_10768978?source=rss

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 20, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »
Review (with setlist at end) of Tina Turner at HP San Jose Sunday:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_10768978?source=rss

Glad to see she's still doing "Typical Male" and "What You Get is What You See". Oh for the days when she did intriguing covers in her live shows like Prince's "Let's Pretend We're Married" and the Animals' "When I Was Young".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 26, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »
OMG, Neil Young rocked Shoreline. He opened with I am a child and Sugar Mountain. GREAT! Norah Jones and Jack Johnson were so much better than I anticipated. Wish I could remember Wilco. I was in my seat but memory fails. Fab fab show. I think Neil was trying to make up for the ZZ no show so he rocked at least 7 songs to close the show. Wow wow wow. Wish I could tell you about them all but my feeble (not toally sober) mind just can't do it. Unknown Legend, covered A Day in the Life (awesome!!!), Old Man, One of these days, Heart of Gold and more.

Late night for my kids after their first concert. I'm proud to have this be their first. I have one going to bed singing Sugar Mountain. I might have to go back to see the Pumpkins on Sunday. Geez, that's just hours away.... Yay! Thank you Pegi and Neil!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 08:07:33 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »
Review of Bridge School Concert, with plenty of pics, from SF Chron:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/27/DD4S13OIF5.DTL

RGMike

• The Core