Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399056 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
The nice folks at KFOG just gifted me tix to Lindsey Buckingham this Sunday. Hope it's good.
hey, me too!
they must be papering the house...
both of you will have a great time.  How did you win them?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 04, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
The nice folks at KFOG just gifted me tix to Lindsey Buckingham this Sunday. Hope it's good.
hey, me too!
I'm looking fwd to it: I've never been to the Mountain Winery -- can't wait to hang w those mountain winos! 

I got my tix (and I assume Alicat did, too) via KFOG's Foghead contest page.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
I didn't know (until just now) that Dave Matthews' opening act this weekend in Berkeley is Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings!  Wonder how she'll go over with the DMB-heads (that's pronounced "dumb-heads"  ;) ).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
hey, me too!
I'm looking fwd to it: I've never been to the Mountain Winery -- can't wait to hang w those mountain winos! 

The venue is really nice, I've been to a half dozen shows there. Long road up to it and not a place to over drink and drive home from. I heard they just remodeled so I'm looking forward to it. Tinka, if you can recognize me from my pic, come say hi. I hope to be sitting by the pool or right outside of it (if it's still there) with a bottle of wine and some dinner before the show.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
hey, me too!

The venue is really nice, I've been to a half dozen shows there. Long road up to it and not a place to over drink and drive home from. I heard they just remodeled so I'm looking forward to it. Tinka, if you can recognize me from my pic, come say hi. I hope to be sitting by the pool or right outside of it (if it's still there) with a bottle of wine and some dinner before the show.
cool, will keep an eye out and say hi!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 12, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
Yes to tour with replacement singer--Dude, it's surrogate prog rock!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/10/entertainment/e232130D29.DTL

Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »
Yes to tour with replacement singer--Dude, it's surrogate prog rock!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/10/entertainment/e232130D29.DTL

you can't stop progress

... and you can't stop Progressive Rock!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
I've mentioned this before -- "The Summer Festival For Peace" at Shea Stadium in 1970. A nice bit about it from someone's last-days-of-Shea blog:

http://www.loge13.com/2008/07/shea_stadium_festival_for_peac_1.php

Yes, I was there.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 17, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
I've mentioned this before -- "The Summer Festival For Peace" at Shea Stadium in 1970. A nice bit about it from someone's last-days-of-Shea blog:

Yes, I was there.

It's not related to the concert, but this line from the link made me LOL:

"a young Jose Cardenal played centerfield. You may remember him as the old Jose Cardenal."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »

Yes, I was there.

It's not related to the concert, but this line from the link made me LOL:

"a young Jose Cardenal played centerfield. You may remember him as the old Jose Cardenal."

I had his Topps baseball card back then.  Hadn't thought of that name for 30 yrs, easy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 21, 2008, 10:14:24 AM »
I'm probably the only one here thrilled about AC/DC coming to town in December. I didn't go for the fan club presale and tried my luck with the onsale today. Looks like a quick sell out. I was hoping for the floor or club but got two but in an upper section and hit the BUY button right away. Tried again a few times and NOTHING was available. Dang. Interesting thing either the band or Ticketbastard is doing. All tix for the tour are one price per venue. At Oakland, for premium seats on the floor or club access sections, the tickets are paperless. You have to show up at the venue with the credit card you paid with to gain access. No exceptions says Tickatbastard, This should reduce scalping I guess. On the flip side, it could lead to a less than full concert or refunds if people looking to buy and profit read this part of the deal after purchasing and had no intent of going to the show :)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 21, 2008, 11:50:03 AM »
At Oakland, for premium seats on the floor or club access sections, the tickets are paperless. You have to show up at the venue with the credit card you paid with to gain access. No exceptions says Tickatbastard, This should reduce scalping I guess.

Wow, as an anti-scalping tactic, that's rather brilliant -- amazing no one's thought of it before.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 21, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »
At Oakland, for premium seats on the floor or club access sections, the tickets are paperless. You have to show up at the venue with the credit card you paid with to gain access. No exceptions says Tickatbastard, This should reduce scalping I guess.

Wow, as an anti-scalping tactic, that's rather brilliant -- amazing no one's thought of it before.

They've been doing that for awhile at smaller venues like the Fillmore etc. for high-demand shows, like when Prince or Clapton played there. But this is the first time I can recall them doing it for a show at a venue of this size--or even a portion of the room. (Although if by "premium" they just mean the first 10 or 20 rows, it might not be that big a deal--that's probably only 1,000 to 2,000 seats, tops.)
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 21, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

They've been doing that for awhile at smaller venues like the Fillmore etc. for high-demand shows, like when Prince or Clapton played there. But this is the first time I can recall them doing it for a show at a venue of this size--or even a portion of the room. (Although if by "premium" they just mean the first 10 or 20 rows, it might not be that big a deal--that's probably only 1,000 to 2,000 seats, tops.)
They just added a second show on 12/4.

Please note that all tickets purchased in Floor sections A & B and Reserved Seating Sections 1, 14, 15, 16, 101, 114, 115, 116, 127, 128 will be paperless. The purchaser of these tickets must bring the purchasing credit card to the venue on the night of the event to be permitted admission. There will be no exceptions.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 22, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »
howdee!

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2008 lineup has been finalized, and it's stellar, as usual: Elvis Costello, Robert Plant and Allison Kraus, Earl Skruggs, Doc Watson, Bill Kirchen, Dave Alvin, Nick Lowe, Odetta, etc...

This is truly one of the highlights of the year for me.  Hope you all get a chance to experience some of it!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:56:40 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~