Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399019 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:12 AM »
I don't have a lot of time this morning, but just wanted to mention the fine outing Saturday night, Steely Dan at the Greek.  Excellent group of musicians (loved the horn section, drumming, and Jon Herington's lead guitar work).  Heard some complaints as we were filing out that they played too much "old stuff".  But others would have complained the exact opposite if they'd played more new stuff (and I wouldn't have been as entertained).

Highlight was probably "Black Friday", or maybe "Kid Charlemagne". 

Fagan's voice was a little rough, but hey, he's no spring chicken.  Not many of those in the crowd either.

Anyway, very enjoyable. 
Did they do anything from Walter Becker's new solo album?

They did a few songs I was unfamiliar with, one of which Becker sang, so maybe...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:54 PM »
Saturday Bone Bash here I come. Last week I won tix on the BONE which (no surprise) ended up being lawn seats. I wasn't planning to go since the lawn just doesn't work for me and lo and behold, I received a call this afternoon telling me I was selected for a meet and greet with the Scorps and there'd be VIP passes for me. Bob is actually excited for once to go to a show. I hope I get to hang out afterwards for the show, somewhere other than the lawn. Details and pics after the show.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 29, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
Saturday Bone Bash here I come. Last week I won tix on the BONE which (no surprise) ended up being lawn seats. I wasn't planning to go since the lawn just doesn't work for me and lo and behold, I received a call this afternoon telling me I was selected for a meet and greet with the Scorps and there'd be VIP passes for me. Bob is actually excited for once to go to a show. I hope I get to hang out afterwards for the show, somewhere other than the lawn. Details and pics after the show.

Nice!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 30, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »
Sweet, nice work!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
Joe Jackson presale is on now!  The show is October 15, a Wednesday, at the Warfield.  The password is 'dazzer'.  Go to Ticketmaster.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:10:17 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »
Bone Bash was better than I anticipated. The meet and greet passes were just that. No VIP treatment or seats so I ended up buying seats when we got there and figured it out. Started in 103 row O which is good but I helped myself into center section row DD which was awesome. Usher let me go down to the stage at the end of the Scorps set. Opening band was good. Scorps rocked and Sammy just tore it up. Mas tequila! He's GREAT. I hoped for some Montrose and my wish was granted.

I have some good pics of the Scorpions and some show pics. I'll get them posted soon. My avatar is a pic I took backstage.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 03, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
Bone Bash was better than I anticipated. The meet and greet passes were just that. No VIP treatment or seats so I ended up buying seats when we got there and figured it out. Started in 103 row O which is good but I helped myself into center section row DD which was awesome. Usher let me go down to the stage at the end of the Scorps set. Opening band was good. Scorps rocked and Sammy just tore it up. Mas tequila! He's GREAT. I hoped for some Montrose and my wish was granted.

I have some good pics of the Scorpions and some show pics. I'll get them posted soon. My avatar is a pic I took backstage.

Alicat, you RAWK! 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 14, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 14, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 14, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
12 Galaxies is closing...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/14/DD0D129MQS.DTL

they fail to mention it was club galia before it was 12 galaxies.

yes, so sad for frank. where will he drink for free now?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 14, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
12 Galaxies is closing...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/14/DD0D129MQS.DTL

Frank Chu must be disconsolate...

I was disconsolate to see that the sfgate article wasn't about Frank!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 14, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
I went Halloweening in the Castro as Frank Chu one year.  There were 7 or 8 others who did the same thing!

"12 Galaxies Guiltied to a Zegnatronic Rocket Society."  For ever and ever, amen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »
The nice folks at KFOG just gifted me tix to Lindsey Buckingham this Sunday. Hope it's good.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
The nice folks at KFOG just gifted me tix to Lindsey Buckingham this Sunday. Hope it's good.
hey, me too!
they must be papering the house...
~CPL593H~