Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404019 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1515 on: January 30, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
Went to Wilco at the Warfield last night.  Whatta show!  Played some oldies (but goodies).  We sat in the nosebleeds - the last row in the upper balcony.  Whatevs, just happy to be(ing) there!

Here's the setlist:

Sunken Treasure (electric arrangement, no harmonica)
Art Of Almost
I Might
Ashes Of American Flags
Bull Black Nova
At Least That's What You Said
One Sunday Morning
Shouldn't Be Ashamed
Either Way
Born Alone
Laminated Cat (electric arrangement)
Impossible Germany
One By One
Forget The Flowers
Handshake Drugs
Standing O
Misunderstood
I Must Be High
The Late Greats
Dawned On Me

Encore:
Whole Love
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm The Man Who Loves You
A Shot in the Arm
The Lonely 1

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 04, 2012, 06:01:34 PM »
I saw the Jayhawks at the Fillmore last night (they're playing there again in a few hours). It was a good show. Fortunately for me, they played quite a few songs from their 1992 album, Hollywood Town Hall, because that's really the only one with which I'm familiar (except for the radio hit Blue from 1995, which they also played). They seemed like a very pleasant group of fellows (and gal) and had a low-key stage presence. I hadn't realized how much of a shredder Gary Louris is until seeing him in person.  He switched between a beautiful red and white Rickenbacker and a Gibson SG, on which he alternately sounded Stonesy and like Neil Young. I won tickets to see this show on Connected, when Rockwell filled in for Dred.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 05, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
I saw the Jayhawks at the Fillmore last night (they're playing there again in a few hours). It was a good show. Fortunately for me, they played quite a few songs from their 1992 album, Hollywood Town Hall, because that's really the only one with which I'm familiar (except for the radio hit Blue from 1995, which they also played). They seemed like a very pleasant group of fellows (and gal) and had a low-key stage presence. I hadn't realized how much of a shredder Gary Louris is until seeing him in person.  He switched between a beautiful red and white Rickenbacker and a Gibson SG, on which he alternately sounded Stonesy and like Neil Young. I won tickets to see this show on Connected, when Rockwell filled in for Dred.

Nice to hear they're revisiting a lot of their older material. HTH and Tomorrow the Green Grass (the '95 album that contains Blue) are their two best, imo. Can't say I dug their most recent too much; the first with Mark Olson back in the fold.  But you are dead on with the comparison of Louris to Neil Young; Gary has wanted to be Neil Young for years.

I'm strongly considering going to see them in Portland on Tuesday, just hope the budget allows. The past few months have been a succession of "If we just get through (name of month here...."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:20:38 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »
Hope you can make it, urth \m/
(btw, auto-correct for urth on my phone is HDTV  :o)
Slipping into something

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
This just in:

American Express has alerted me that presale tickets are available for the Kenny G cruise to Alaska.  Prices range from $1999 - $7299.  Includes photo ops.  What! 

(this may also be filed in Not Cool/Not Funny)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
This just in:

American Express has alerted me that presale tickets are available for the Kenny G cruise to Alaska.  Prices range from $1999 - $7299.  Includes photo ops.  What! 

The "Cruise From Hell"!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
This just in:

The "Cruise From Hell"!

The "Rick Santorum Fan Boat".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
This just in:

The "Cruise From Hell"!

a "frothy" time is guaranteed for all!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 09, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
This just in:

The "Cruise From Hell"!

That's just mean to Kenny G (unless there's some connection of which I'm not aware).
Slipping into something

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 09, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
This just in:

The "Cruise From Hell"!

a "frothy" time is guaranteed for all!
Captain and Tenille are performing on the cruise too.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 11, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »
Meant to post this earlier since they were playing tonight to, but Social Distortion at the Fox was badass awesome last night.  No set list from me, but really, they played like 50 songs in an hour and a half so it's not like it's my fault.  It all kind of ran together, just a constant wall of sound.  I can say they finished with "Ball And Chain" in an encore that was probably 30 minutes long.

Tuesday, Lenny Kravitz.  I know it's V-Day, but I have no love life.   :-\

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1526 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
Meant to post this earlier since they were playing tonight to, but Social Distortion at the Fox was badass awesome last night.  No set list from me, but really, they played like 50 songs in an hour and a half so it's not like it's my fault.  It all kind of ran together, just a constant wall of sound.  I can say they finished with "Ball And Chain" in an encore that was probably 30 minutes long.

The "Ball and Chain" I would be familiar with?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

Sorry Geoff, but no. This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRpOXGcZ9Q
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1528 on: February 14, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »

So far, every Social D song I've heard sounds the same.  I was forced to play "Story of My Life" once in a xmas band!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »

So far, every Social D song I've heard sounds the same.  I was forced to play "Story of My Life" once in a xmas band!

That's a pretty accurate description of most punk bands.  I saw The Ramones in the 80's, and I swear they played one song the whole night.

And, embarassingly, I realize now that the last song was not "Ball and Chain", it was "Ring Of Fire", which IS the "Ring of Fire" you know.  ;)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing