Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404201 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
Heard a commercial for this on 1340 the Boardwalk:

"The All Star Rock Tour 2011!! Features 1980's rock music legends Orleans, John Cafferty, Robbie Dupree, Joe Lynn Turner, John Ford Coley, David Pack of Ambrosia and Jimmy Hall of Wet Willie." 

That's some K-Tel goodness, ahtellyouwhut!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 24, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
"The All Star Rock Tour 2011!! Features 1980's rock music legends Orleans, John Cafferty, Robbie Dupree, Joe Lynn Turner, John Ford Coley, David Pack of Ambrosia and Jimmy Hall of Wet Willie."  
Videos from their 5/21/11 show in (ATTN: Tinka) Rochester NY:
John Hall & Orleans- "Dance With Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RuE0ixpFeo

with Joe Bouchard of BOC - "Don't Fear The Reaper"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEd0mo4vW-s

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
Videos from their 5/21/11 show in (ATTN: Tinka) Rochester NY:
John Hall & Orleans- "Dance With Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RuE0ixpFeo

with Joe Bouchard of BOC - "Don't Fear The Reaper"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEd0mo4vW-s

I've looked at a couple diff skeds and apparently they swap out Bouchard for JL Turner and/or Mr Pack depending where they are. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 04, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Adele cancels her tour:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/06/01/entertainment/e071739D10.DTL&type=music

She coulda had it AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
Looking at old ticket stubs last night. Life's been good. Put two and two together and came yup with something other than 4. Daltrey here Oct 21. Bridge Benny potentially Oct 22/23. Daltrey performs with Neil? Big weekend.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »
That Sexy Voice comes to Oakland, October 14 @ the Fox. He's been just stellar every time I've seen him, both solo and with Roxy. If there's no NW dates, this might be worth a flight.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115114118576762
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:21:50 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:52 AM »
That Sexy Voice comes to Oakland, October 14 @ the Fox. He's been just stellar every time I've seen him, both solo and with Roxy. If there's no NW dates, this might be worth a flight.
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115114118576762
Hey yeah, Bryan Ferry at the Fox!  Scroll down in this calendar to Oct 14 (tix on sale Thurs June 9).  Of course plenty o' choices all summer long: http://www.apeconcerts.com/index.cfm

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 08, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Any of you get to U2 last night? Two of my friends TRIED to go and had a most unfortunate concert outing. Got on San Mateo bridge at 6:30pm. Traffic on 92 and 880. Stuck at Hegenberger exit still at 8:20pm. Lots got closed. Overflow parking faraway had LONG lines to get to and was $40!. Police directed traffic into a no mans land and then said no parking or you'll be towed. If parking was found it would have been 10pm or later by the time they would have hiked to the venue. She offered $100 to VIP parking and was turned away. They never got in to the show. Had tickets for over a year and paid for them almost 2 years ago ($500/pair).  I guess this is what happens at stadium shows now unless you take time off work and go very early to ensure you get parking. I don't think I ever want to go to a show at the Oakland Col. again.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 08, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
Any of you get to U2 last night? Two of my friends TRIED to go and had a most unfortunate concert outing. Got on San Mateo bridge at 6:30pm. Traffic on 92 and 880. Stuck at Hegenberger exit still at 8:20pm. Lots got closed. Overflow parking faraway had LONG lines to get to and was $40!. Police directed traffic into a no mans land and then said no parking or you'll be towed. If parking was found it would have been 10pm or later by the time they would have hiked to the venue. She offered $100 to VIP parking and was turned away. They never got in to the show. Had tickets for over a year and paid for them almost 2 years ago ($500/pair).  I guess this is what happens at stadium shows now unless you take time off work and go very early to ensure you get parking. I don't think I ever want to go to a show at the Oakland Col. again.

OMG what a nightmare. Of course, there's this amazing invention called BART...

I've never seen U2 but having seen their IMAX/3-D concert film, which I really liked, I kinda feel like I never need to see 'em, esp not at a stadium clusterf--k.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:52:21 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 08, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Any of you get to U2 last night? Two of my friends TRIED to go and had a most unfortunate concert outing. Got on San Mateo bridge at 6:30pm. Traffic on 92 and 880. Stuck at Hegenberger exit still at 8:20pm. Lots got closed. Overflow parking faraway had LONG lines to get to and was $40!. Police directed traffic into a no mans land and then said no parking or you'll be towed. If parking was found it would have been 10pm or later by the time they would have hiked to the venue. She offered $100 to VIP parking and was turned away. They never got in to the show. Had tickets for over a year and paid for them almost 2 years ago ($500/pair).  I guess this is what happens at stadium shows now unless you take time off work and go very early to ensure you get parking. I don't think I ever want to go to a show at the Oakland Col. again.

Oy, what a clusterfuck. I'm sure your friends must have been livid. I remember being in a similar situation going to see the same band--christ, almost 20 years ago(!) at the same stadium on the Zoo TV tour. Left Sacramento mid-afternoon, heard reports of killer traffic and got as far as El Cerrito by 5:30, so I bailed out and took BART from El Cerrito Norte. Met my friends, saw the show from seats that seemed a quarter mile from the stage, and then had another lengthy wait (like more than an hour) getting on to and across the cattle chute that is BART overpass to get back to the Coliseum station. Luckily they were running late trains, so I made it back to the car and home but it was much more of an ordeal than I expected.  IIRC, that was the last time I saw U2.

We've all done it but seeing music in a venue meant for football or baseball has much potential to be not a good experience.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1330 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Any of you get to U2 last night? Two of my friends TRIED to go and had a most unfortunate concert outing. Got on San Mateo bridge at 6:30pm. Traffic on 92 and 880. Stuck at Hegenberger exit still at 8:20pm. Lots got closed. Overflow parking faraway had LONG lines to get to and was $40!. Police directed traffic into a no mans land and then said no parking or you'll be towed. If parking was found it would have been 10pm or later by the time they would have hiked to the venue. She offered $100 to VIP parking and was turned away. They never got in to the show. Had tickets for over a year and paid for them almost 2 years ago ($500/pair).  I guess this is what happens at stadium shows now unless you take time off work and go very early to ensure you get parking. I don't think I ever want to go to a show at the Oakland Col. again.

Oy, what a clusterfuck. I'm sure your friends must have been livid. I remember being in a similar situation going to see the same band--christ, almost 20 years ago(!) at the same stadium on the Zoo TV tour. Left Sacramento mid-afternoon, heard reports of killer traffic and got as far as El Cerrito by 5:30, so I bailed out and took BART from El Cerrito Norte. Met my friends, saw the show from seats that seemed a quarter mile from the stage, and then had another lengthy wait (like more than an hour) getting on to and across the cattle chute that is BART overpass to get back to the Coliseum station. Luckily they were running late trains, so I made it back to the car and home but it was much more of an ordeal than I expected.  IIRC, that was the last time I saw U2.

We've all done it but seeing music in a venue meant for football or baseball has much potential to be not a good experience.

I saw the Achtung Baby tour at the same place, and it was awesome.  Perhaps we took BART.  I felt like they achieved a sense of intimacy that night.  We sat in some seats real high up on the 3rd deck.  Ironically, I found out later I had some backstage passes, but didn't realize it!  I wonder if I'll ever go again.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 08, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »

I saw the Achtung Baby tour at the same place, and it was awesome.  Perhaps we took BART.  I felt like they achieved a sense of intimacy that night.  We sat in some seats real high up on the 3rd deck.  Ironically, I found out later I had some backstage passes, but didn't realize it!  I wonder if I'll ever go again.

That was probably the same show I talked about above, Geoff. "Zoo TV" was the name of the tour that followed Achtung Baby, and they played the indoor arena on the first go-round, so if it was in the ballpark, it was most likely the same show.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 08, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »

That was probably the same show I talked about above, Geoff. "Zoo TV" was the name of the tour that followed Achtung Baby, and they played the indoor arena on the first go-round, so if it was in the ballpark, it was most likely the same show.
Lesson learned. You go to these big shows at the Coliseum, you need to skip 1/2 day work to get there and then late the next day b/c you're tired from a late night. Not worth it. This however is the worst show situation I have heard of. It has now officially made the news.
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 08, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »

Ouch!!! :(  Sorry to hear about your friend's experience.  Traffic did sound pretty horrible...I talked to Annalisa today and she said that it took over 3 hours from Emeryville...  ::)

I had better luck taking BART.  I drove up to the Fremont station @ about 6 and the parking lot was mostly full, but fortunately there were a few spaces left.  From there, getting there was no problem.  Leaving was another story.  I left slightly before the last song was over and the bridge to BART/exit was so jam packed like sardines  that it took about half an hour to get across...just barely made the 12:20 AM train (although I would assume they ran a few extra trains, which would have been the right thing to do because there were still tens of thousands of people waiting to leave.)  But that wait was probably nothing compared to that of those who drove.

The concert was pretty amazing though. :)  I'm a sucker for good visual effects & U2 nailed that.  They also played most of my favorite "lesser" singles (Walk On, City of Blinding Lights, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me -- the only other one I really would have wanted was Numb, but I guess that would have been too much to ask.)  Lenny Kravitz was good too.  I wish Moonalice wouldn't have been the pre-opener.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:41 AM »
The concert was pretty amazing though. ...  Lenny Kravitz was good too.  I wish Moonalice wouldn't have been the pre-opener.

dang, what an infuriating experience Alicat's friend -- and many others, apparently -- had.  Bart's the way to go.  Getting back before the last train, though?  That could be dicey. 

I was thinking of heading over to try to pick up some scalped tix, but all things considered, it sounds like it would have been a risky endeavor.  I would have liked to see this tour -- haven't seen U2 since the mid-80s.  Lenny Kravitz would have been an arena-rock crowd pleaser.  I've seen Moonalice at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass --  isn't GE Smith in the band? -- but they didn't hold my interest.  we left them at the Arrow stage to go hear something more exciting.
~CPL593H~