Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404007 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1305 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
TOMMY come to San Jose Civic and up to Portland fwiw.

The Who and its members have staged their fair share of "Tommy" tours previously, but one thing will set his venture apart. While previous tours have omitted select songs from the groundbreaking album, Daltrey has promised to perform the rock opera opus in its entirety, according to his tour statement.

Daltrey's touring band will include guitarists Frank Simes and Simon Townshend (younger brother of Who guitarist Pete Townshend), bassist Jon Button, drummer Scott Deavours, and keyboardist Loren Gold.

I think I'll go to San Jose show Oct 21.

Roger Daltrey *IS* the Acid Queen!

Was surprised it's at SJ Civic (capacity 3000+) rather than HP. I've a friend who is an absolute Who FREAK and she's already got tix to see him in Colorado.
Do you want to go with us?

Nah, I think I've heard "Tommy" in its various permutations a few too many times at this point.  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
Saw Echo & The Bunnymen last night at the Warfield.  Singer Ian McCulloch was in fine form, rambling in his Scouse-y accent about "football" teams coaches, how much he likes SF.  The dude was a regular chatterbox, but I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.  it needed subtitles.  We were on the floor directly center.  Good place to be.

These were "album shows" and they did their first two albums Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here, throwing in some hits to please the masses:

Going Up
Stars Are Stars
Pride
Monkeys
Crocodiles
Rescue
(Broke My Neck snippet)
Villiers Terrace
Pictures On My Wall
All That Jazz
Happy Death Men
Do It Clean
Bring On the Dancing Horses
Nothing Lasts Forever / Walk on the Wild Side  (Lou Reed cover)
 --Intermission--
Show of Strength
With a Hip
Over the Wall
It Was A Pleasure
A Promise
Heaven Up Here
The Disease
All My Colours
No Dark Things
Turquoise Days
All I Want 
-Encore:
The Killing Moon
The Cutter 
-Encore 2:
Lips Like Sugar
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:26:36 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
TOMMY come to San Jose Civic and up to Portland fwiw.

The Who and its members have staged their fair share of "Tommy" tours previously, but one thing will set his venture apart. While previous tours have omitted select songs from the groundbreaking album, Daltrey has promised to perform the rock opera opus in its entirety, according to his tour statement.

Daltrey's touring band will include guitarists Frank Simes and Simon Townshend (younger brother of Who guitarist Pete Townshend), bassist Jon Button, drummer Scott Deavours, and keyboardist Loren Gold.

I think I'll go to San Jose show Oct 21.

Gonna get my Tommy/Daltrey on in Oct. Got dress circle sec 202 row A. Should be OK. Hoped for floor but nothing came up. Never been to the SJ Civic.  Satisfied. Broke.

Roger Daltrey *IS* the Acid Queen!

Was surprised it's at SJ Civic (capacity 3000+) rather than HP. I've a friend who is an absolute Who FREAK and she's already got tix to see him in Colorado.
Do you want to go with us?

Nah, I think I've heard "Tommy" in its various permutations a few too many times at this point.  ;)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
Gonna get my Tommy/Daltrey on in Oct. Got dress circle sec 202 row A. Should be OK. Hoped for floor but nothing came up. Never been to the SJ Civic.  Satisfied. Broke.

well, it looks like you won't be spending money on Stanley Cup Finals tix ;)  I'm despairing of seeing the Sharks advance.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 20, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

well, it looks like you won't be spending money on Stanley Cup Finals tix ;)  I'm despairing of seeing the Sharks advance.
My seat partners have their tix for tonight on StubHub and I don't really want to go, even at face value. I do want the orange t-shirt giveaway. I feel sick about the series. I have hope but it is dwindling. I do have my seats for Sunday at noon.  IF team teal does not beat Vancouver best of 7, I will cheer for Vancouver. They are really the best.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 20, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »

My seat partners have their tix for tonight on StubHub and I don't really want to go, even at face value. I do want the orange t-shirt giveaway. I feel sick about the series. I have hope but it is dwindling. I do have my seats for Sunday at noon.  IF team teal does not beat Vancouver best of 7, I will cheer for Vancouver. They are really the best.

C'mon people!  Two away losses and you're ready to give it up.  Game two WAS embarrassing, but it was just a single game.  Sharks are a different team at the Tank.  They win big tonight.

I hope.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Gonna get my Tommy/Daltrey on in Oct. Got dress circle sec 202 row A. Should be OK. Hoped for floor but nothing came up. Never been to the SJ Civic.  Satisfied. Broke.

well, it looks like you won't be spending money on Stanley Cup Finals tix ;)  I'm despairing of seeing the Sharks advance.
My seat partners have their tix for tonight on StubHub and I don't really want to go, even at face value. I do want the orange t-shirt giveaway. I feel sick about the series. I have hope but it is dwindling. I do have my seats for Sunday at noon.  IF team teal does not beat Vancouver best of 7, I will cheer for Vancouver. They are really the best.

C'mon people!  Two away losses and you're ready to give it up.  Game two WAS embarrassing, but it was just a single game.  Sharks are a different team at the Tank.  They win big tonight.

I hope.

I watched game 2 on the internet -- I found a Canadian Broadcasting Co stream via justin.tv.   The announcers sounded familiar, and then I realized their voices are the ones used in XBOX hockey games!  They were really homers, too, pretty much cheering for the Canucks as the Sharkies imploded.  

They Sharks were horrible, true, but don't give up hope....!   (hey, wait... why are we in the Concert thread?)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »
OMFG!  A musical about... the Shaggs!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/theater/the-shaggs-stage-musical-is-about-to-return.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Wish this had opened before I was in NYC. Gaz, you MUST see it and report back to us!!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 20, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Saw Echo & The Bunnymen last night at the Warfield.  Singer Ian McCullough was in fine form, rambling in his Scouse-y accent about "football" teams coaches, how much he likes SF.  The dude was a regular chatterbox, but I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.  it needed subtitles. 

Jealous!!  Original line-up?
Yeah, I agree on the subtitles, though I don't know which is more difficult to understand: Scouse or Mancunian?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
Saw Echo & The Bunnymen last night at the Warfield.  Singer Ian McCullough was in fine form, rambling in his Scouse-y accent about "football" teams coaches, how much he likes SF.  The dude was a regular chatterbox, but I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.  it needed subtitles.  

Jealous!!  Original line-up?
Yeah, I agree on the subtitles, though I don't know which is more difficult to understand: Scouse or Mancunian?

just Ian and Will and hired hands.   Orig drummer de Freitas died way back when, so who knows: maybe after this weekend the original lineup will be getting the band back together.  Wouldn't that be Rapture?

Check out David Beckham for some amusing Scouse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJyYIUFuSMo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:53:34 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 20, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
Saw Echo & The Bunnymen last night at the Warfield.  Singer Ian McCullough was in fine form, rambling in his Scouse-y accent about "football" teams coaches, how much he likes SF.  The dude was a regular chatterbox, but I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.  it needed subtitles. 

so, Ian's a randy Scouse git, then?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 20, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »

I can't remember if I've posted this here before, but this is a funny (albeit, slightly bitchy) bit I read in a Ian McCulloch interview from Uncut Mag a while back...

Are you still mates with The Sopranos' Michael Imperioli?

I'm seeing him next week in New York as it happens. He's great. When we met he
knew more about the Bunnymen than I did, he's a real fan of Will's guitar
playing. He also told me that Bono wore "a piece".  At first I thought he
meant a gun, but it turned out he meant his hair.

Tee hee. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 22, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »

#wonderingifimtheonlyonewhogotthat
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »

If you mean the Monkees reference, then no.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 23, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »

If you mean the Monkees reference, then no.

I didn't recognize it, but thought it meant something b /c it was pretty specific.   

I just looked it up and Wikipedia says this:

".. (it) ended up a top 5 hit in the UK where it was retitled 'Alternate Title' after the record company (RCA) complained that the title was 'actually somewhat taboo to the British audience'." 
 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Scouse_Git

:)
~CPL593H~