Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404002 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1170 on: October 02, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »

18. Monkey To Man - Bill Kirchen

Did Bill play in the band all night?  He's awesome.

Pretty sure he played the whole night - EC and NL were mostly playing rhythm.  I hadn't heard of him until last night.  He really was fabulous - I love a twangy lead!  :)

He was an original member of Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen (that's him playing lead on "Hot Rod Lincoln").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Kirchen
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1171 on: October 03, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

18. Monkey To Man - Bill Kirchen

Did Bill play in the band all night?  He's awesome.

Pretty sure he played the whole night - EC and NL were mostly playing rhythm.  I hadn't heard of him until last night.  He really was fabulous - I love a twangy lead!  :)

He was an original member of Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen (that's him playing lead on "Hot Rod Lincoln").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Kirchen
Bill's live version of Hot Rod Lincoln is a tour de force.  He deftly imitates almost every famous guitar style brilliantly.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: Radical's Review
« Reply #1172 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
Who went to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass?  I was lucky enough to be able to go all 3 days, and most of the bands that I really wanted to see (with a few exceptions) weren't overlapping.  Here's my rundown of the bands I paid attention to (starting with my most favorite):

:)
The Dukes of September Rhythm Review ft. Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald, & Donald Fagen: Yes, AC Lite music, but wow, this was easily a $100+ show.  Perfect in every way, great music, great sound, great production, overall great performance.  Kudos to them for playing "I Keep Forgettin'" & "Lowdown."
Richard Thompson
Peter Himmelman, despite missing all but the last song.  I came up here an hour early just so I'd be able to find parking and get there on time, and it took me an hour and a half!!!  >:(.  Fortunately I was able to make it to his very last song, "Mission of My Soul," which was spectacular in every way.  Wish I would have been able to see the rest -- does anyone know if he played "The Discipline of Rain"?
Patti Smith
Randy Newman
Conor Oberst: Seeing as he's so mondo with the hipsters I was fully expecting this native of my state (:P) to be entirely overrated, however I was pleasantly surprised.
The Avett Brothers: Similar to the above, I was fully expecting them to be overrated as I know they have quite the following but all I've heard from them up to this point are their radio singles. "I & Love & You" is one of the most grating songs (not to mention titles) of the year & "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise" didn't help their case much.  However, now I realize it's a textbook example of a sellout album; they have earlier material all of which is quite good & gave one heck of a performance (especially liked their jumping cello player); everything they played off of their latest album, on the other hand, was crap.
Steve Earle & The Dukes: Seemed a bit lethargic at first, but showed stamina.  Loved hearing "Jerusalem."
Sarah Lee & Johnny: Have not heard of them, but I liked their accessible folksy sound.
Fountains of Wayne: On the dividing line between ' :)' and ' :-\' but they get bumped up for playing "Someone to Love" & "Stacy's Mom," bonus points since they weren't too cool for the latter (as artists like these sometimes are with their big hit.)

:-\
Elvis Costello & the Sugarcanes: Maybe I was just annoyed that I could barely see the tops of their heads, and maybe I was annoyed that he didn't play any of his recognizable songs (at least not during the last ~50 minutes, as I was @ Keller for the first 20) but I thought they were just ok.
Keller & the Keels: I do respect Keller's talent a lot, but felt that his covers project did not live up to its full potential.  "Rehab" was good as that essentially is a country-bluegrass song, but his remake of "Pepper" was just...flat.  And it could have been not flat.  Then he lost me @ the Grateful Dead cover.
James McMurtry: Performance wise he was fine, but he's here primarily for poor song selection.  I missed the first 15 minutes as I was @ the end of P. Himmelman, but over half of the remaining 35 minutes were taken up by the seemingly obligatory (but totally unnecessary) jam-type song followed by an even more unnecessary 10-minute ballad.  We didn't even get "Painting By Numbers," "Where's Johnny," "Talking at the Texaco," "Just Us Kids," or "Bad Enough," unless he played at least three of those in the first 15 minutes.  At least when I came by he was playing the next best, which was "Hurricane Party."
Jenny & Johnny: I've never seen the appeal in any of her incarnations: Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis, Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins, and now Jenny & Johnny.  She's not horrible, but she's just so incredibly average.  Her music is what happens when people who know how to play instruments and use the English language, but aren't prodigies at either, decide to pick up a guitar & start singing.  Seeing her live confirmed this, rather than made me a fan as it did with Conor Oberst.  The description stated "This is not a Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis, or Johnny album...it's Jenny & Johnny."  Coulda fooled me.
Mondo Cane: Ehh...I tried to like it.  It worked quite well for the first 10 minutes, but then it just became too ridiculous.

::) (Not that I can complain too much, since it was free, but...)
Patty Griffin: What a disappointment.  I love her for her lyrics, and here she comes on doing a bunch of gospel covers!!! To be fair, her covers were competent...but why torture us with merely competent covers when she could have delighted us with her brilliant originals.  No "Rain" or "Kite". :(
T-Bone Burnett ft. The Punch Bros & Secret Sisters: Sorry, but when the billing is T-Bone Burnett ft. yada yada[/u] & the short bio in the program is primarily about T-Bone Burnett, I expect T-Bone Burnett to be the focus of this set.  Not the Punch Brothers or the Secret Sisters.  T-Bone appeared like twice.  Yes, the Punch Brothers were good, but couldn't make up for false advertising & by themselves did not deserve to be in the headlining time slot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: Radical's Review
« Reply #1173 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

Keller & the Keels: I do respect Keller's talent a lot, but felt that his covers project did not live up to its full potential.  "Rehab" was good as that essentially is a country-bluegrass song, but his remake of "Pepper" was just...flat.  And it could have been not flat.  Then he lost me @ the Grateful Dead cover.

Keller, as in Keller Williams? Now there's someone I cannot stand, based on the brief period some years back when KFOG was giving him a big push. I found him quite cringe-worthy and was glad when they gave up on him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:57:20 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »

Keller, as in Keller Williams? Now there's someone I cannot stand, based on the brief period some years back when KFOG was giving him a big push. I found him quite cringe-worthy and was glad when they gave up on him.

Yeah, that's him.  I love his fingerwork on the guitar.  He can be amazing live imo, though I do see how it wouldn't translate to the radio, esp. since some of his songs are pretty silly.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 07, 2010, 01:16:01 PM »

Yeah, that's him.  I love his fingerwork on the guitar.  He can be amazing live imo, though I do see how it wouldn't translate to the radio, esp. since some of his songs are pretty silly.

indeed. I can't even remember the name of the song KFOg played to death but it was very... cutesy. Very "look at me, I'm a white hipster doofus using black slang".

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 07, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Teenage Fanclub are playing GAMH next Tuesday.  Grant Lee Buffalo are playing there in January and The Mother Hips are playing in December. 

Did I just land on the LOST island and it's 1992???  ;)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »
Teenage Fanclub are playing GAMH next Tuesday.  Grant Lee Buffalo are playing there in January and The Mother Hips are playing in December. 

Do NOT miss Teenage Fanclub. Scottish power pop at its finest, from the band that invented it. Grant Lee Buffalo? I had no idea they'd reformed. As for Mother Hips, to my knowledge they've never gone away despite many threats to the contrary.
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:37 AM »

Do NOT miss Teenage Fanclub. Scottish power pop at its finest, from the band that invented it.

Which reminds me - I've got to request Star Sign the next time 1991 comes along.  :)

All these bands are doing "albums in their entirety" tours lately.  Saw the Pixies earlier this year play Doolittle (brilliant, btw) and just bought tickets to see Weezer perform their Blue Album in November.  The rumor is Primal Scream wants to tour Screamadelica (which I saw the first time around in '92 at the Warfield) and Jesus and Mary Chain may tour Psychocandy.  I'm all for these Gen-X revivals!!!  Bring IT!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
All these bands are doing "albums in their entirety" tours lately.

On a different note, Zappa Plays Zappa is doing Apostrophe December 1, at the Warfield (Frank's 70th b'day).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:34 PM »
Sundaygal (and others) may want to head to cafe du Nord on Oct 25 to see Best Coast and five other bands ... All for ten bucks. It's Aquarius records' 40th birthday party shebang

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

Whoo-hoo!

As previously announced, we have tickets available here at the store, $10 each, and they've been selling briskly.

You can also order them online from TicketWeb (there's a $2.25 service fee though):

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3264155
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:56:20 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 19, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »
Sundaygal (and others) may want to head to cafe du Nord on Oct 25 to see Best Coast and five other bands ... All for ten bucks. It's Aquarius records' 40th birthday party shebang

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

Whoo-hoo!

As previously announced, we have tickets available here at the store, $10 each, and they've been selling briskly.

You can also order them online from TicketWeb (there's a $2.25 service fee though):

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3264155

Ooo...thanks for the heads up!  I'm gonna see them at GAMH.  Tickets were only $15 - a freakin' bargain considering I shelled out $125 to see Elvis Costello & Nick Lowe.  :)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 22, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Wonder if the rain will impact this weekend's annual Bridge School Benefit? Also on the bill: Buffalo Springfield, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Elton John & Leon Russell, Billy Idol, Pearl Jam, Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson, more. Article in today's local paper:
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_16370464
"Hey, what's that sound? Why, that would be the reunited Buffalo Springfield, getting ready to perform its first public shows in more than 40 years. The legendary group, led by the Bay Area's own Neil Young, will headline the Bridge School Benefit concerts on Saturday and Sunday at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View..."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:25:09 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 23, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
Wonder if the rain will impact this weekend's annual Bridge School Benefit? Also on the bill: Buffalo Springfield, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Elton John & Leon Russell, Billy Idol, Pearl Jam, Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson, more. Article in today's local paper:
"Hey, what's that sound? Why, that would be the reunited Buffalo Springfield, getting ready to perform its first public shows in more than 40 years. The legendary group, led by the Bay Area's own Neil Young, will headline the Bridge School Benefit concerts on Saturday and Sunday at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View..."

I cannot believe it's been a year already since my experience of last year's BSB with Ali and her family.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 24, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »

I cannot believe it's been a year already since my experience of last year's BSB with Ali and her family.
Wish you could have been there last night. I tried texting you something but was impaired  and not sure how coherent it was. I want to say this was the best line up ever and I have been there for the past dozen years. Beautiful Sugar Mountain and Comes a Time to start. Merle was out ill so Kris and Elvis both had Emmylou perform with them which was spectacular. She is amazing. I should have made notes about who played what because it is now a blur. I'll look online. LOVED Kris. Elvis also amazing. I yearned to hear Alison as this was my first time seeing Elvis. He did not comply but did not disappoint. Eddie Vedder blew me away. He always performs so well. He celebrated that it was 20 years ago they had their first gig and thanked Uncle Neil for his support. He also said after seeing the old guys still performing that he realizes he is not even halfway through his career. He played about 5 songs, covered Patti Smith and then brought Neil out to perform Neils new song Walk with Me. I almost forgot BillyIdol. I was dancing to his second song when the Giants WON and a small outburst of World Series fever swept the crowd. Neil asked for NO TV coverage of the game but the emcees gave updates between sets and there was radio and phone coverage everywhere. Met GREAT people there. Met a few Pearl Jam folks who travel from PA to see Eddie everywhere.
Buffalo Springfield was amazing too. Neil looked so happy and played his ass off. Stephen Stills was spectacular. A true OMG show. Hard to believe I was seeing and hearing what I was.

OK, to aid my failing memory, here is a review from Rolling Stone, http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/224972

I thought I would go today but after the legendary show last night, I am fulfilled.
Happy Cat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:14:05 AM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.