Author Topic: 24 Oct 2007: It's 1978  (Read 9737 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Bruce
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Even the bonus track is a frequent flyer--Bruce again, Candy's Room.

Sobering thought: this Saturday will be 27 years to the day since I first saw Bruce, in the very same building he's playing tomorrow and Friday. Yikes. I be gettin' old.

I think the only time I saw Bruce was Dec. 78 Winterland.  There's a KSAN live broadcast tape in circulation.  My favorite was his rendition of Point Blank that night, which was slightly different than the record.  My cassette was ruined by some accidental demagnetizing, which caused the sound level to go up and down with every spin of the reels.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 10:12:51 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Sobering thought: this Saturday will be 27 years to the day since I first saw Bruce, in the very same building he's playing tomorrow and Friday. Yikes. I be gettin' old.

I think the only time I saw Bruce was Dec. 78 Winterland.  There's a KSAN live broadcast tape in circulation.  My favorite was his rendition of Point Blank that night, which was slightly different than the record.  My cassette was ruined by some accidental demagnetizing, which caused the sound level to go up and down with every spin of the reels.

That recording is pretty widely circulated and reknowned as one of the best Springsteen boots ever--it was simulcast on several other stations around the west coast (Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, maybe Reno) so lots of folks got it. I'm sure i have it on ancient cassette--not sure if I've upgraded to CD or not, but if I have I'll get you a copy. I remember listening to it on the radio in the kitchen of the restaurant I was working at. The manager had to come back and tell us to turn it down, as the customers could hear it pretty well, but several of the cooks, waiters, and other staff were all really digging it.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
24 Oct 2007: It's 1978
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »

Was that the Born in the USA tour? That was the last and only time I've seen him. Outside in Oakland I'm pretty sure. My old memory isn't serving too well. I missed him the last few times around.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
Everyones a winner
sidenote:
I sometimes enter the contests on the KFOG site. I just heard from them that I won a $35 Cheap Pete's certificate. Supposedly comng in the mail soon. There's a Page and Plant tour poster in my garage needing  a frame. Very timely.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Was that the Born in the USA tour? That was the last and only time I've seen him. Outside in Oakland I'm pretty sure. My old memory isn't serving too well. I missed him the last few times around.

First saw Bruce in '76 at the Palladium in NYC (a little bigger than the Warfield). Also saw him at Madison Sqaure Garden twice -- at No Nukes in '79 and again on Thanksgiving '80.  Then not again until PacBell/SBC/AT&T a few summers ago.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
brain fart
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »

I guess there are holes in my memory.  I guess I've seen Bruce more than once.  I'm not sure why I went, but I remember being at some outdoor show at Oakland too!  That was when he was doing the Jimmy Cliff song "Trapped."
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: brain fart
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »

I guess there are holes in my memory.  I guess I've seen Bruce more than once.  I'm not sure why I went, but I remember being at some outdoor show at Oakland too!  That was when he was doing the Jimmy Cliff song "Trapped."

I'm guessing that woulda been mid-'80s, since a live version of "Trapped" ended up on the "USA for Africa" LP.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »

Nope, BitUSA wasn't til '84/85. In 80 he'd just released The River, and as always, did only two local shows. They sold fast, but not nearly as fast as the ones in '84.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: brain fart
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »

Could have been the Oakland Stadium in '85 or he played there a few years later (88? I have holes in my memory, too) on an Amnesty Int'l tour with Peter Gabriel and others.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »

Nope, BitUSA wasn't til '84/85. In 80 he'd just released The River, and as always, did only two local shows. They sold fast, but not nearly as fast as the ones in '84.

I was here on vacation in Sept '84 (my first-ever trip to SF) and I remember driving past a VERY long line of folks waiting to buy tix on a Sunday morning at some place (can't recall where exactly) that had Ticketron, or whatever the ticket seller of choice was back then.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Mark and I are going on Thursday.  We've got seats in section 106, or something like that.  Oh, and BOS3 for EW&F.

I'm giving serious thought to trying to scalp a ticket outside. Craigslist is lousy with people trying to dump extras, particularly for Thursday, so it might be easy pickin's.

'Cept my concert budget is kinda stretched right now, with Yo La Tengo and P-Spree next week, and Elvis C at the Music Hall the week after. We'll see.

Nah, not gonna do it. It's been a beater of a day, I'm heading home. Now I know I'm getting old.

Hope y'all that are going tonight (and tomorrow for that matter) see some great performances. Cheers, y'all!
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Mark and I are going on Thursday.  We've got seats in section 106, or something like that.  Oh, and BOS3 for EW&F.

I'm giving serious thought to trying to scalp a ticket outside. Craigslist is lousy with people trying to dump extras, particularly for Thursday, so it might be easy pickin's.

'Cept my concert budget is kinda stretched right now, with Yo La Tengo and P-Spree next week, and Elvis C at the Music Hall the week after. We'll see.

Nah, not gonna do it. It's been a beater of a day, I'm heading home. Now I know I'm getting old.

Hope y'all that are going tonight (and tomorrow for that matter) see some great performances. Cheers, y'all!

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing a review of tonight's show. Maybe Mark or Dave will post. I'm totally ready for tomorrow. In late to work, out early. Gotta do it! BSB too. I feel optimistic about Broooce making a guest appearance with Neil on Saturday.
Sharks bleed teal.