Author Topic: 14 Feb 2007: Valentine's -- "Love Stinks!"  (Read 7496 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
14 Feb 2007: Valentine's -- "Love Stinks!"
« on: February 11, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
So what's in store this year?

This week Dave was soliciting Foghead "love stories" (and the songs that go with them). These are to be played throughout the Morning Show on Wed. I can't recall them ever doing this before (sounds a lot like "Sledgehammers" to me), and my first thought was, how will this impact the Valentine's 10@10, or will there not be one? Or maybe we'll revert to the "Love Stinks" set for "equal time".

If there's no V-day set, then maybe Urth's theory about fewer theme sets is correct.  We've also got a potential Mardi Gras set the following (Fat) Tuesday.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Feb 2007: The Valentine's Set?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

This week Dave was soliciting Foghead "love stories" (and the songs that go with them). These are to be played throughout the Morning Show on Wed. I can't recall them ever doing this before (sounds a lot like "Sledgehammers" to me), and my first thought was, how will this impact the Valentine's 10@10, or will there not be one? Or maybe we'll revert to the "Love Stinks" set for "equal time".

If there's no V-day set, then maybe Urth's theory about fewer theme sets is correct.  We've also got a potential Mardi Gras set the following (Fat) Tuesday.

I was mostly referring to sets like Soul Patrol, Motor City Revue, and Beatles Landing in America as the kind of themes we're short on lately--mostly the holiday themes will continue to appear (although I am in serious Xmas card deficiency, after no set for two freakin' years). However, there's no mention of the Valentines set on DM's blog, so it very well could not be happening this year. And being as he and Alejandro may still be on the outs, he might just not wanna think about it. Guess we'll find out on Wednesday, if not before.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:42:11 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

I was mostly referring to sets like Soul Patrol, Motor City Revue, and Beatles Landing in America as the kind of themes we're short on lately--mostly the holiday themes will continue to appear (although I am in serious Xmas card deficiency, after no set for two freakin' years). However, there's no mention of the Valentines set on DM's blog, so it very well could not be happening this year. And being as he and Alejandro may still be on the outs, he might just not wanna think about it. Guess we'll find out on Wednesday, if not before.

This morning Dave is soliciting votes: choose between "Heart & Soul" (10 great R&B love songs, similar to what he did last year or the year before), and "Love Stinks", which he hasn't done in 4 or 5 years and which gets my vote.  Vote early, vote often, vote Stinks!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »

This morning Dave is soliciting votes: choose between "Heart & Soul" (10 great R&B love songs, similar to what he did last year or the year before), and "Love Stinks", which he hasn't done in 4 or 5 years and which gets my vote.  Vote early, vote often, vote Stinks!

Wasn't last year's V-Day the Atlantic Records set that had "Show Me," Natural Woman," et al?  Or am I mixing up days?

I'm happy with either, just as long as it's something.  Themed sets are always more interesting to me than unthemed ones.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Wasn't last year's V-Day the Atlantic Records set that had "Show Me," Natural Woman," et al?  

Yup.

The Chords - Sh-Boom
Joe Tex - Show Me
Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Spinners - One of a Kind Love Affair
Ray Charles - Hallelujah, I Love Her So
Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - Where is the Love
Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman
Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind
Otis Redding - Try a Little Tenderness (B-O-S!!!)
Persuaders - Thin Line Between Love & Hate
BONUS TRACK: Otis & Carla - Tramp

quite delightful, tho' if Dave goes this route again, I hope it's not just a straight-up rerun.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »
It's Official: "valentine's day: an opposing viewpoint", aka "Love Stinks!". Hooray!  Dave's still soliciting suggestions, BTW.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:39:29 AM »
It's Official: "valentine's day: an opposing viewpoint", aka "Love Stinks!". Hooray!  Dave's still soliciting suggestions, BTW.

Looking forward to the stinky set. Listening to the Love Stories and they are great. I feel like I'm happily married but certainly not as lovey dovey as every one else sounds to be!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
Love STINKS! TOTHC! Woo Hoo!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »
OMG! Mr Loaf twice in one week, barely 17 and barely dressed.

Poor Phil Rizzuto, he had NO idea.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
Dave's latest blog entry also has some wisdom regarding the state of being single.

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=1460&id=35

Sounds like he's still dealing with his recent return to bachelorhood, but methinks he doth protest too much.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »
Easy BOS--You're Breakin' My Heart--Harry Nilsson, beeps or no.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Dave's latest blog entry also has some wisdom regarding the state of being single.

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=1460&id=35

Sounds like he's still dealing with his recent return to bachelorhood, but methinks he doth protest too much.

Dave can get laid whenever he wants, I'm sure; based on Greg's comment's to Mark a few years ago, methinks he was probably doing just that, even when he was "with" Alejandro.  Whatever.

oh no, the dreaded Alanis MoreUpset!

BOS Nilsson!!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
It's interesting... I have the uncensored version of "Breakin My Heart" on the Nilsson Anthology... but the bleeped version is actually funnier.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 10:25:49 AM »
ah, Dave's fave clip: Elliott Gould & Marcia Rodd in Little Murders.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
Anyone have a clue to these movie clips? Not I, but they're tres apropos.

BOS2, the rarely heard Carly Simon and "That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be."
Let's get right to it.