Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499805 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1170 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:09 PM »
Sci-Fi Alert! KOFY TV-20 is showing 4 classic Twilight Zone eps tonite starting at 8, including "To Serve Man" and the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "I Sing The Body Electric".
I just watched "To Serve Man" and I thought the main alien
-- from a race called Kanamits -- looked familiar. 

He was played by Richard "Jaws" Kiel:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:58:53 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 30, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
For fans of Mockumentarys, tournament poker, and/or Dune, I recommend The Grand, now out on video.  Simply hilarious.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 01, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
Mark will be happy to hear this: Cronenberg is doing a sequel to Eastern Promises:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=8451

This is for real, unlike the fake story that made the rounds earlier today about the Dark Knight sequel (which said Tim Burton, Joel Schumacher and Jim Carrey were all collaborating with Christopher Nolan!)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 03, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »
Came across this review on MetaCritic. The movie's only playing in LA (so far) but it sure sounds like the WTF/so-bad-its-good flick of the year to me:

C ME DANCE Faith-based films have made great strides in the past decade or so, from mainstream stars like Mel Gibson and Kirk Cameron giving passion projects a boost to evangelicals like Matthew Crouch becoming more savvy about the ins and outs of studio production. And yet, if any movie could undo all that progress in one fell swoop, it’s C Me Dance, an overwrought piece of (apparently) unintentional camp that, if it is remembered at all, will be only because some low-brow cinephile chooses to place it on a drunken rep-house double-bill with Tommy Wiseau’s The Room. Written, produced, directed by and starring “veteran” Greg Robbins (Pastor Greg), who has fewer movies on his IMDB profile than I do and whose filmmaking career seems to stretch back all of four years, C Me Dance plays like a fake Christian movie Troy McClure might end up starring in on an episode of The Simpsons, though it’s apparently for real. When high school ballerina Sheri (Christina DeMarco) is diagnosed with the world’s most flattering case of leukemia (no chemo or wasting away for this cancer girl!), her devastation quickly subsides as the power of the Lord descends, giving Sheri the ability to communicate telepathically, and in turn causing anybody she touches to hallucinate an image of the nails driven into Christs hands. This naturally angers Satan (Peter Kent), who appears as a paunchy guy in a trenchcoat, who sometimes forgets to put his monster-eye contacts in. But Sheri and her dad (Robbins) cleverly counter the Devil ... by evangelizing on TV! Had Trinity Broadcasting Network come up with this feature in 1980, it would have been easier to sympathize with its flaws. In 2009, its hilarious ineptitude makes it border on becoming a cult classic for the ages ... and we’re not talking religious cult.

:o :o :o

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 07, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »
worst idea ever: a remake of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid starring.... Tom Cruise and John Travolta.  Xenu will be SO proud...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13767/cruise-travolta-do-butch-cassidy-remake-/

Miss Travolta will make a *very* "butch" Cassidy!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 09, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »

worst idea ever: a remake of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid starring.... Tom Cruise and John Travolta.  Xenu will be SO proud...

maybe Greta Van Susteren can play the Katherine Ross role?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 09, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »

bwahahaha!  I went looking for celeb Scientologists, to find an actress that might fit; best I could do was Jenna Elfman and (of course) Katie Holmes. Was sad to see that Giovanni Ribisi is one (the princess will be heartbroken) and shocked to see Chaka Khan on the list -- I thought she was big into Louis Farrakhan and I doubt he'd be pleased.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »

bwahahaha!  I went looking for celeb Scientologists, to find an actress that might fit; best I could do was Jenna Elfman and (of course) Katie Holmes. Was sad to see that Giovanni Ribisi is one (the princess will be heartbroken) and shocked to see Chaka Khan on the list -- I thought she was big into Louis Farrakhan and I doubt he'd be pleased.

I thought Chaka had joined the JWs in exchange for Prince producing one of her albums.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 10, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »

I thought Chaka had joined the JWs in exchange for Prince producing one of her albums.

she's a god-whore!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 10, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »

Was sad to see that Giovanni Ribisi is one (the princess will be heartbroken)

I'm heartbroken, too.

He's in the upcoming Public Enemies, as Alvin Karpis.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 10, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
First, check out this trailer for a movie called Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIexG8179K8&feature=player_embedded

Looks like a pretty cool sci-fi flick, but note the director's name: Duncan Jones.

For 25 big Frink points (without Googling), under what other name is Duncan Jones known? (the answer blew my mind)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 10, 2009, 08:07:08 PM »

Looks like a pretty cool sci-fi flick, but note the director's name: Duncan Jones.

For 25 big Frink points (without Googling), under what other name is Duncan Jones known? (the answer blew my mind)

OK, watched the trailer and paused on the credits to see if there were any clues there. The only one I could come up with was the name "Trudie Styler" who is listed as one of the producers. She is also Mrs. Gordon Sumner, aka Sting. So if that's who Duncan Jones is, then I'm completely gobsmacked. COMPLETELY.

Am going to Google now, as I just gotta know.

ETA: Have googled and was completely wrong. But the answer is almost as good.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:09:49 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »

I see the movie is done by Xingu Films and Limelight. I was going to guess it's someone from South America, maybe Brazil -- b/c Xingu is a Portuguese word, at least it seems to me.  Completely wild guess, but I'll say it's someone who has had a musical connection w Brazil. Specifically: David Byrne...

Now I'll chk Google, b/c I gotta know, too.

ETA: Like urth, I was wrong as well, but that was a fun exercise.   :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:33:14 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1183 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
M. LaSalle falling out of chair in review of Watchmen:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/05/BA5M16993S.DTL&type=movies

there's an emerging love-it-otr-hate it streak in the reviews.  I'm not a fanboy/geek (I've never read the com -- er, graphic novel) And i can't decide if I'n ready for another 2-hour-and-40-minute "dark" superhero thing.

I had never heard of Watchmen until a preview at the movie theater several months back, so I'm not all that worked up about it either.  May or may not see it after the opening week(s) hoopla calms down.

I'm not heavily into illustrated novels, but I've read Watchmen a few times and find it fascinating.  I'll see the film at some point, waiting for the theaters to shake out the fanboys and kiddies first.

I saw it today & it was bloody awesome. 

didya notice the amazing resemblance of jeffrey Dean Morgan to Javier Bardem?

Just got back from seeing it.  Besides the movie being somewhat spoiled by jerky punks who disrupted the movie, and lame security who did nothing about it, it was way too long.  Now, since I didn't read the book ahead of time, take my opinion with a grain of salt.  I did pickup on a great deal of the inside jokes, and many things only older folk would be able to get, and much of the music was from my generation.  It just seemed too long, without the plot being very involved.  I haven't even read the Chronicle review yet; guess I should.  The actress who played Lori looked a lot like Danica McKeller (Winnie!) and I had trouble getting Denny from Grey's Anatomy out of my mind when I saw The Comedian, who seemed based on Ernie Kovacs.  I guess I should read the reviews and maybe the book(comic?) to see if I just missed it or not.  The previews in the theater do presage more and more special effects, I wonder at what price.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 12, 2009, 08:53:51 AM »
Biggest box office flops of past 25 years:
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/getback-movie-flops.html