Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499611 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1155 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
Saw I Love You, Man! last nite -- just hilarious, Paul Rudd is wonderful and the whole gay-subtext thing is priceless. Not to spoil too much but Rudd's character, who is this wimpy metrosexual straight guy, has a gay brother (SNL's Andy Samberg) who is butcher than he is (he's a personal trainer and a total meathead fratboy type).  *AND* -- DUUUUUUUUUUDE! -- a cameo appearance by Rush! Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:57:50 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 24, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
for the princess especially: the Streep as Julia Child (coming this summer)!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 24, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »

I'm curious--in what film does she play Julia? Never thought about it, but JC would make an interesting biopic subject, since before becoming a food icon, she was a counterintelligence operative during WWII. Really.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 24, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »

I'm curious--in what film does she play Julia? Never thought about it, but JC would make an interesting biopic subject, since before becoming a food icon, she was a counterintelligence operative during WWII. Really.

it's not a biopic, per se, it's called Julie & Julia, based on Julie Powell's book about the year she quit her job and devoted herself to cooking every. single. recipe in Child's book Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Amy Adams plays Powell). Not clear whether she actually met Child, or if Julia is seen in flashbacks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 24, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »

I just want to see her weeping tears of joy at Tu Lan at 6th and Mission.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 24, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »

Are they still there? That place milked Julia's recco for all it was worth, even though it was pretty filthy the last couple times I was in there. Loved their imperial rolls and pan fried noodles though. Lots of Warfield staff ate their regularly, since they're right across the street. Also Cancun, for the same reason.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »

Are they still there? That place milked Julia's recco for all it was worth, even though it was pretty filthy the last couple times I was in there. Loved their imperial rolls and pan fried noodles though. Lots of Warfield staff ate their regularly, since they're right across the street. Also Cancun, for the same reason.

I ate there when I visited in December.  The place is a hole, as is the whole block, but it's really got the best bun cha I've had in my life.  I try to stop by every time I'm in town.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »

I ate there when I visited in December.  The place is a hole, as is the whole block, but it's really got the best bun cha I've had in my life.  I try to stop by every time I'm in town.

No kidding about that 'hood--it's quite literally one of the worst blocks in SF. I always kept one hand on my wallet whenever I went over there, and tried to make sure I got in and out before dark if possible. But the food is great.

(Have to wonder if that place could have been a lot more successful if they'd just move to a better location. I can't imagine what sort of daily weirdness they have to deal with just to do business.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:31:36 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »

we've gotta get you to Shanghai Dumpling King next trip.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 24, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »

we've gotta get you to Shanghai Dumpling King next trip.

The one out on Balboa, a few blocks from the Balboa theater, yes? Also a great place.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 25, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

God, how I love those women!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 26, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »
Demetri Martin "premiered" the trailer for Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock last nite on his show; Martin plays Elliot Tiber, who was instrumental in getting the music festival held in White Lake NY after the original site pulled out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq8z2WDbKo&feature=player_embedded

What i didn't know was that Tiber was also a gay man who was at the Stonewall Riots!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Tiber

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »
Demetri Martin "premiered" the trailer for Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock last nite on his show; Martin plays Elliot Tiber, who was instrumental in getting the music festival held in White Lake NY after the original site pulled out.

What i didn't know was that Tiber was also a gay man who was at the Stonewall Riots!

Wow - his 1969 makes for one hell of a "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:43 AM »

Wow - his 1969 makes for one hell of a "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"!

indeed, I can't wait for this -- how many people were at Woodstock AND Stonewall?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 29, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Sci-Fi Alert! KOFY TV-20 is showing 4 classic Twilight Zone eps tonite starting at 8, including "To Serve Man" and the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "I Sing The Body Electric".