Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499525 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1110 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
Is #5 referring to Shakespeare In Love?  If not I have no clue.

That one may actually *be* Ghandi.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »

3) SEAN PENN…. was the second straight prior winner to take home Best Actor. His closest competition was MICKEY ROURKE, who was previously not nominated (ditto perceived 3rd placer Frank Langella). Despite the perception that the Oscars hand out consolation prizes to overdue actors, only TWO actors in the past fifteen years were prior nominees of an acting award, but had yet to win one. Name them.

The wording on this is unclear...don't they mean only two "winners of Oscar for Best Actor"?  I assume they must, in which case Sean Penn must be one, as he had 3 noms before Mystic River.  Wasn't Russell Crowe nommed before Gladiator?  Have to look that up.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

3) SEAN PENN…. was the second straight prior winner to take home Best Actor. His closest competition was MICKEY ROURKE, who was previously not nominated (ditto perceived 3rd placer Frank Langella). Despite the perception that the Oscars hand out consolation prizes to overdue actors, only TWO actors in the past fifteen years were prior nominees of an acting award, but had yet to win one. Name them.

I see 3, not 2 (depending how you interpret the "15 years" time-frame):

Penn won for Mystic River in '03 after several noms.

Russell Crowe won for Gladiator in '00 after a nom for Insider

Tom Hanks' first win for Philadelphia in '93 came after a nom for Big

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 26, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »

I see 3, not 2 (depending how you interpret the "15 years" time-frame):

Penn won for Mystic River in '03 after several noms.

Russell Crowe won for Gladiator in '00 after a nom for Insider

Tom Hanks' first win for Philadelphia in '93 came after a nom for Big

I think they said 15 yrs specifically so that Hanks' win for Forrest Gump would be a repeat, and Philadelphia would be outside the range.

And I figured out the Kate Winslett question.  I had to start looking down the list of Best Actress winners & checking their Golden Globe info on IMDb.  There were 4 or 5 in the 80's or 70's that I couldn't be sure of - not remembering or never having seen the movie - but if they had a GG nom it was also for Best Actress.  Once I got to the 60's it became pretty obvious who it must be, and sure enough, it checked out.  But I'll leave that as a big enough hint.

Where did this come from btw?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 26, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »

5) DUSTIN LANCE BLACK ’s screenplay for Milk was considered original because it was not based on any biographical account or the famous documentary film on the subject. What script won an award for Original Screenplay despite being obviously based on famous and successful source material?

The Ten Commandments?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 26, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »
And I figured out the Kate Winslett question.  I had to start looking down the list of Best Actress winners & checking their Golden Globe info on IMDb.  There were 4 or 5 in the 80's or 70's that I couldn't be sure of - not remembering or never having seen the movie - but if they had a GG nom it was also for Best Actress.  Once I got to the 60's it became pretty obvious who it must be, and sure enough, it checked out.  But I'll leave that as a big enough hint.

Audrey Hepburn?

~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 27, 2009, 02:03:23 AM »

5) DUSTIN LANCE BLACK ’s screenplay for Milk was considered original because it was not based on any biographical account or the famous documentary film on the subject. What script won an award for Original Screenplay despite being obviously based on famous and successful source material?

The Ten Commandments?

Gone with the Wind.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 27, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »

The Ten Commandments?

Gone with the Wind.

That was goiing to be my joke answer.  It did win screenplay, but they didn't distinguish original and adapted in 1940.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »

Audrey Hepburn?

Nope, Patricia Neal for Hud.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »

#1 - Platoon, Gandhi & The Last Emperor

I believe you are correct!

On second thought, Question #1 is in error, because Gandhi is *not* set 'exclusively in Asia'.  The early part is set in South Africa.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

On second thought, Question #1 is in error, because Gandhi is *not* set 'exclusively in Asia'.  The early part is set in South Africa.

What's the one with Mel Gibson and Linda Hunt?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 27, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »

Year of Living Dangerously -- but the only award that won was Ms Hunt for Best Supporting Midget Actress ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 27, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »

Year of Living Dangerously -- but the only award that won was Ms Hunt for Best Supporting Midget Actress ;)

I can't find a picture, but there's a guy who does the KQED TV Pledge drives that could be Linda Hunts taller brother.   know who I mean?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »
There IS a god, perhaps: The Jonas Bros concert film grossed less than $13M this week end, less than half of what most were predicting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/movies/02arts-MADEAHOLDSOF_BRF.html?ref=arts