Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499692 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
news to me, but apparently in the pipeline:

"Whatever they’re paying Mos Def’s agent, it’s not enough. Fresh off his high-profile performance in Be Kind, Rewind, the mighty Mos has recently been cast as Chuck Berry in Cadillac Records, the upcoming film on the rise and fall of the influential Chicago label Chess Records.

Alongside him, Adrien Brody will play label founder Leonard Chess, Cedric The Entertainer will portray session musician Willie Dixon, Eamonn Walker will play Howlin’ Wolf, and, as previously reported, Beyoncé Knowles will do her best Etta James. Knowles will also contribute four songs to the soundtrack, though there's no word on whether they’ll be remakes of James material. "

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:33 PM »
Mos Def, FWIW, was *fabulous* as Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I wish I liked his music more, but it's spotty.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »
Mos Def, FWIW, was *fabulous* as Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I wish I liked his music more, but it's spotty.

He was also good in the Bruce Willis vehicle, 16 Blocks. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 19, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
Best movie title I've heard in ages: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead .
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
Do not pass go. 

Do not collect $200.

Go directly to Burn After Reading.  (unless you really don't get the Coen bros sense of humor; if you liked Raising Arizona &/or Big Lebowski, you will love this). 

If only because George Clooney gets to deliver the following line:

"It's a hundred bucks, all in.  Not counting my labor...and the price of the dildo."

Finally saw this last night in a theater with four other people. Raucous laughter from most of us--Sarah's not such a big fan of the Coen's sense of humor.

And to respond to the question about Clooney, Brad, and Angelina, I agree that Clooney is probably the most talented of the three, but Pitt was really good as the vapid and dense Chad in this film. Like he was born to the part. :)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
DAMN! If this doesn't make you want to see Josh Brolin as Dubya, nothing will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HHHJXJUU8

I. Cannot. WAIT.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
Tis the season for films about disgraced presidents, I guess. Before Burn After Reading last night we saw a trailer for Frost / Nixon, a film version of the play about David Frost's interviews with Richard Nixon in 1977. Looks good, but Frank Langella's Nixon seemed almost an exaggeration of Dick's vocal mannerisms. They couldn't get Rich Little?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 29, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »
Tis the season for films about disgraced presidents, I guess. Before Burn After Reading last night we saw a trailer for Frost / Nixon, a film version of the play about David Frost's interviews with Richard Nixon in 1977. Looks good, but Frank Langella's Nixon seemed almost an exaggeration of Dick's vocal mannerisms. They couldn't get Rich Little?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/

I saw Frost/Nixon on B'way last year with Langella and the great Michael Sheen (he was Tony Blair in The Queen and plays Frost here).  It was good, not great, but certainly entertaining. The movie is a Ron Howard thing, so I'm skeptical -- no doubt they'll be pushing both actors for the Oscar race.  I'm still betting on Brolin, but then I predicted Sheen would be a shoo-in for The Queen, and he wasn't even nominated.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 29, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
Over the weekend I saw the French thriller Tell No One, and recommend it highly.  It's not playing on too many screens, but it is well worth the effort to find it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 30, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Over the weekend I saw the French thriller Tell No One, and recommend it highly.  It's not playing on too many screens, but it is well worth the effort to find it.

A terriffic movie. Sort of like The Fugitive in French (tho' it's based on an American novel). And Kristin Scott-Thomas as a lesbian! If she wasn't on the princess' "list" before, she will be now...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 09, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
Saw Religulous last nite and thoroughly enjoyed. Of course, I totally agree with Bill Maher's opinions on religion, so I was pretty much predisposed to like it.  Great exchange (you may have seen it in the commercials):

Pastor of an "ex-gay" ministry: "Nobody is born gay"

Maher: "Have you ever met Little Richard?"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 10, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
Saw Religulous last nite

I hope it comes out here. There was a repot on the news the other day about that film, the new Michael Moore film, the "new" Michael Moore spoof film, and Oliver Stone's film about Bush. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them.

For now, though, we rejoice because "Mad Money" hit theatres today!! Gosh, what a nightmare that film must be. Who decided to put Queen Latifah, Diane Keaton and Katie Holmes together? Does Katie Holmes even act? And Queen Latifah was already in a bankrobbing movie (granted, it wasn't a comedy). OK, I just had to look it up - Ted Danson is in it, too! Super!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 10, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
Saw Religulous last nite

I hope it comes out here. There was a repot on the news the other day about that film, the new Michael Moore film, the "new" Michael Moore spoof film, and Oliver Stone's film about Bush. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them.

For now, though, we rejoice because "Mad Money" hit theatres today!! Gosh, what a nightmare that film must be. Who decided to put Queen Latifah, Diane Keaton and Katie Holmes together? Does Katie Holmes even act? And Queen Latifah was already in a bankrobbing movie (granted, it wasn't a comedy). OK, I just had to look it up - Ted Danson is in it, too! Super!

The Moore spoof is the one with the "cream" of the H'wood GOP (Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, Jon Voight) and Chris Farley's little brother as the Moore character -- An American Carol. It's supposed to be pretty awful.  Queen Latifah RULED in her Sat Nite Live cameo this week as PBS's Gwen Ifill, moderating the Palin/Biden debate. I am TOTALLY looking fwd to W.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 11, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »
Queen Latifah RULED in her Sat Nite Live cameo this week as PBS's Gwen Ifill, moderating the Palin/Biden debate.

they removed it from youtube, but i found it here:
http://mediahangout.blogspot.com/2008/10/snl-vp-debate-spoof-100408-saturday_9661.html

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1004 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
Queen Latifah RULED in her Sat Nite Live cameo this week as PBS's Gwen Ifill, moderating the Palin/Biden debate.
they removed it from youtube, but i found it here:
http://mediahangout.blogspot.com/2008/10/snl-vp-debate-spoof-100408-saturday_9661.html
It's not like it's being hidden, it's the top video on nbc.com:
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/update-thursday-debate-open/742065/
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!