Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499709 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #960 on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »
the theater was pretty empty, so there wasn't a crowd of people singing along.  That would've been too much for me....

TANC (sorta): the Castro is doing sing-along Little Mermaid for a week starting this Friday.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
the theater was pretty empty, so there wasn't a crowd of people singing along.  That would've been too much for me....

TANC (sorta): the Castro is doing sing-along Little Mermaid for a week starting this Friday.

also on the Castro's big screen next month: the newly restored versions of Godfather I & II, prior to its release on DVD/Blu-Ray.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 23, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
It's all true: Tropic Thunder is just f---ing HIGH-larious. From the fake trailers before it starts to the big climax, non-stop bust-a-gut funniness.  Downey Jr gets special praise but, really, everybody's at the top of their game.

And I also saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and it really is one of Woody's best of the decade. Scarlet Jo and Penelope Cruz in hot girl-on-girl action -- yowsah!

"yeah, sure, I'll come up to your room... but you'll have to seduce me." (ScarJo says that to Javier, actually)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 24, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »
It's all true: Tropic Thunder is just f---ing HIGH-larious. From the fake trailers before it starts to the big climax, non-stop bust-a-gut funniness.  Downey Jr gets special praise but, really, everybody's at the top of their game.

And I also saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and it really is one of Woody's best of the decade. Scarlet Jo and Penelope Cruz in hot girl-on-girl action -- yowsah!

"yeah, sure, I'll come up to your room... but you'll have to seduce me." (ScarJo says that to Javier, actually)

I loved TT too.  The faux Downey/Maguire trailer was worth the ticket by itself.  And I don't want to be a spoiler, but at what point did you figure out the uncredited cameo?  I didn't have a clue until pretty far in.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »
Please rank these in the order in which I should see them:

Tropic Thunder
Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Swing Voter
Wall-E

Graz,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 24, 2008, 11:28:33 PM »

Tropic Thunder
Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Swing Voter
Wall-E

Graz,
Gaz.

Well, I haven't seen Swing Voter or TT, but of the remaining trio, I'd rank them thusly:

1) Dark Knight
2) Wall-E
5,342) Pineapple Express

I saw the last of these because it was it was 101 out that day and it was the only thing both my wife and I both had any curiousity about that we hadn't seen yet (TT was not out yet), and we both regretted it--should have seen Dark Knight a second time. (Admittedly, movie pickings around here lean heavily toward mainstream multiplex fodder, unless we drive into Portland--and it's only slightly better there.) Apatow, attach your name to another flick as bad as this and your reputation will be forever trashed, if it's not already.

Not having seen them, I'd still guess Tropic Thunder probably ranks after Dark Knight, and Swing Voter after Wall-E.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:34 AM »
I don't want to be a spoiler, but at what point did you figure out the uncredited cameo?  I didn't have a clue until pretty far in.

I knew about it beforehand (it's gotten tons of publicity, so It's not exactly a secret) And it's pretty easy to figure out who it is once the person in question appears, IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:00:02 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #968 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

Tropic Thunder
Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Swing Voter
Wall-E

Graz,
Gaz.
I've only seen Wall-E, and you should see it too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:10 AM »

Tropic Thunder
Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Swing Voter
Wall-E

Graz,
Gaz.

Well, I haven't seen Swing Voter or TT, but of the remaining trio, I'd rank them thusly:

1) Dark Knight
2) Wall-E
5,342) Pineapple Express

I saw the last of these because it was it was 101 out that day and it was the only thing both my wife and I both had any curiousity about that we hadn't seen yet (TT was not out yet), and we both regretted it--should have seen Dark Knight a second time. (Admittedly, movie pickings around here lean heavily toward mainstream multiplex fodder, unless we drive into Portland--and it's only slightly better there.) Apatow, attach your name to another flick as bad as this and your reputation will be forever trashed, if it's not already.

Not having seen them, I'd still guess Tropic Thunder probably ranks after Dark Knight, and Swing Voter after Wall-E.

I've only seen two, which should be seen in this order:

1.  Tropic Thunder
5,342.  Pineapple Express

To be fair, I saw PE straight -- undoubtedly it's much funnier stoned.  But it didn't do much for me, especially in comparison to TT.

Of the remaining 3, I'm not tempted to see any of them.  I will look forward to Wall-E on cable, and will catch the other two on cable as well, perhaps even renting the Dark Knight OnDemand before it comes out for free.  I'm not a big fan of the Batman franchise, or Batman in general.  Not my cup of super-hero.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
I don't want to be a spoiler, but at what point did you figure out the uncredited cameo?  I didn't have a clue until pretty far in.

I knew about it beforehand (it's gotten tons of publicity, so It's not exactly a secret) And it's pretty easy to figure out who it is one the person in question appears, IMHO.

Which uncredited cameo?  I didn't read the credits much, and there were a lot of cameos (like Lance Bass, who was only there for a second, but got a big laugh).  I assume you mean the Les Grossman character, but I thought he was credited.  Hilarious, regardless.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #971 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
[I will look forward to Wall-E on cable
Well, it is pretty high-rez animation dude!  We saw it in Kauai, and my memory is hazy due to the vacation induced dream state, but it seemed pretty good at the time!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 25, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »

I knew about it beforehand (it's gotten tons of publicity, so It's not exactly a secret) And it's pretty easy to figure out who it is one the person in question appears, IMHO.

Which uncredited cameo?  I didn't read the credits much, and there were a lot of cameos (like Lance Bass, who was only there for a second, but got a big laugh).  I assume you mean the Les Grossman character, but I thought he was credited.  Hilarious, regardless.

Yes, the Les - "a nutless monkey could do your job" - Grossman character (and that line's about where I realized who it was). I guess I should've said, un-billed cameo.  You're right that he was credited, in fact he was the credits.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 25, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »

Tropic Thunder
Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Swing Voter
Wall-E

Graz,
Gaz.

I've seen all but Swing Vote, but I would say that TT, DK & W-E are all must sees.  Probably my 3 favorite films of the year, with Iron Man a close follower.  In terms of tone, W-E & DK are polar opposites, so make sure you're in the right mood.  Can't imagine that Swing Vote is anything more a than a nice one to see when there's nothing else on cable.

I liked PE quite well, but can see how others didn't like it so much.  And I was totally straight when I saw it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:20:10 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 25, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »

And -- Breaking News! -- apprently starting Friday in "selected theaters", Universal is rolling out a sing-along version of Mamma Mia!, trying to strike while the iron is, well, reasonably warm.

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/08/19/mamma-mia-to-become-louder-more-annoying-via-sing-along-edi/

"And the best part is, even if you're a terrible singer, you can take comfort in knowing you're still better than Pierce Brosnan..."  LOL!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:13:58 AM by RGMike »