Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499657 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #900 on: May 28, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
it's official -- Fraggle Rock: The Movie!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/28/fraggle-movie-movie-details-revealed/

down with fraggle rock.

hey princess, has the French film Roman de Gare played in Spain yet? saw it the other day, it's a really cool mystery/puzzle type movie. Fanny Ardant is surely on your list of, um, women-of-a-certain-age?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 28, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »

down with fraggle rock.

hey princess, has the French film Roman de Gare played in Spain yet? saw it the other day, it's a really cool mystery/puzzle type movie. Fanny Ardant is surely on your list of, um, women-of-a-certain-age?
I'd be ardent for that Fanny!  She looks like a brunette Candace Bergen, kinda.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »

down with fraggle rock.

Gaz, be tender with that Fanny.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:11 AM »

Not just kinda--she's a dead ringer for Ms. Bergen in a brunette wig, imo
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »

down with fraggle rock.

haven't heard of it yet. fanny's pretty hot!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
The Muppets are coming back, with help from... Judd Apatow!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?&entry_id=27187

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 20, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
Well, true to form, Mick laSalle hated Get Smart, but said Love Guru isn't half-bad -- the exact opposite of the critical consensus.  Guru looks (from the commercials) like one of the un-funniest moves ever. Verne Troyer getting hit in the face with a hockey puck -- oh yeah, *that's* comedy!  "dreary dick jokes and elephant poop" was one critic's description.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
Well, true to form, Mick laSalle hated Get Smart, but said Love Guru isn't half-bad -- the exact opposite of the critical consensus.  Guru looks (from the commercials) like one of the un-funniest moves ever. Verne Troyer getting hit in the face with a hockey puck -- oh yeah, *that's* comedy!  "dreary dick jokes and elephant poop" was one critic's description.

Just came from seeing Get Smart -- it doesn't suck.  Coulda been shorter (at a tight 85 mins instead of 110, it might've killed) but it has its moments.

Meanwhile, TCM is giving us a disco-cheese double bill tonite: Roller Boogie, which I saw a few years back at the Castro with Xanadu, and the little-seen cult fave The Apple, which I've never seen.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 21, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

Just came from seeing Get Smart -- it doesn't suck.  Coulda been shorter (at a tight 85 mins instead of 110, it might've killed) but it has its moments.

Meanwhile, TCM is giving us a disco-cheese double bill tonite: Roller Boogie, which I saw a few years back at the Castro with Xanadu, and the little-seen cult fave The Apple, which I've never seen.
Please let me know what you think of The Apple!  I barely know anyone else who's seen it.  Among its attributes are the greatest deus ex machina ever.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 21, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »

Please let me know what you think of The Apple!  I barely know anyone else who's seen it.  Among its attributes are the greatest deus ex machina ever.

Well, I didn't make it to the end (watched the first hour) so I missed the deus ex machina, but since the bad guy is literally the Devil, I can only imagine.  I found it pretty deadly -- the songs are quite awful.  I'm not big on camp to begin with; sometimes bad is bad, as Huey Lewis once sang.  And so things like Xanadu and Can't Stop the Music are just terrible, IMHO, with no redeeming value.

The Apple isn't quite in their league; this one seemed to have a budget and a concept at least (if not a terribly original one). Pretty bad acting, mostly. Catherine Mary Stewart's first film, I'm guessing; she made quite a few in the '80s, like The Last Starfighter. I *HIGHLY* recommend getting hold of Privilege, a 1967 British film about a future Fascist gov't in the UK that controls the populace thru pop music.  Shot in documentary style, long before that became a standard/cliche method. Paul Jones (former lead singer of Manfred Mann) and Jean Shrimpton (the model) play the leads.  Great stuff.

ETA: great comment on IMDB about The Apple: "The varied use of MYLAR throughout the movie never ceased to amaze me!"

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:24:28 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
The Apple isn't quite in their league; this one seemed to have a budget and a concept at least (if not a terribly original one). Pretty bad acting, mostly. Catherine Mary Stewart's first film, I'm guessing; she made quite a few in the '80s, like The Last Starfighter. I *HIGHLY* recommend getting hold of Privilege, a 1967 British film about a future Fascist gov't in the UK that controls the populace thru pop music.  Shot in documentary style, long before that became a standard/cliche method. Paul Jones (former lead singer of Manfred Mann) and Jean Shrimpton (the model) play the leads.  Great stuff.

ETA: great comment on IMDB about The Apple: "The varied use of MYLAR throughout the movie never ceased to amaze me!"

1. I've never heard of Privilege, but will seek it out; so thank you.

2. Yes!  I actually referred to that mylar quote when writing about The Apple in the Voice about 2 years ago.  It was a short piece and thus ungoogleable now.   :-[

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
Would you believe Get Smart made $100 million at the box office this weekend?

Would you believe $65 million?

OK, would you believe $39 million?

39's the actual figure; it was #1.  The almost universally loathed Love Guru only made $14 million, even worse than expected.  Guess Mr Meyers will be working on Austin Powers 4 starting tomorrow.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #912 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »
We just saw Love Guru today, and laughed our asses off.  I don't expect any critics to like it, but there are some killer jokes.  Offensive to all.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:07 AM »
We just saw Love Guru today, and laughed our asses off.  I don't expect any critics to like it, but there are some killer jokes.  Offensive to all.

Wow, that's tells us more about you than we wanted to know, Geoff! ;)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #914 on: June 23, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
Wow, that's tells us more about you than we wanted to know, Geoff! ;)
TMI Baby!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!