Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499357 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #840 on: March 03, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
You may remember there was some mild controversy when the eligibility of the song from Once for Oscar consideration was called into question by the Academy... and a few days later it was ruled eligible after all.  According to a post on Hollywood-Elsewhere:

"Apparently [Glen] Hansard was invited to some Irish rock stars photo shoot or event or something, and Bono comes up to him and starts chatting him up like he's old pals, and asks Hansard how it's going. Hansard says, well, I'm a bit bummed, we thought we were going to be up for an Oscar but now there's some issue with the eligibility because the record came out before the movie did. Bono says, 'What? Hang on a second.' He whips out his cellphone and calls somebody and tells him 'This is bullshit, you have to fix this.'

He hangs up and tells Hansard, 'Don't worry, I called David Geffen and told him to take care of it for you'. And so it was..."

Bono really IS God!

Maybe he can do something for the Seattle SuperSonics before he returns to saving the world/recording an album/buying new sunglasses.

That would be a really good use of his powers if you ask me.  The Sonics' situation reeks to high heaven.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
fwiw, during this period of normally slim pickens at the cineplex, I saw In Bruges, and it is a solid thumbs up.  It's a much more complex film than the trailer indicates, but I can't say much more without getting into serious spoiler territory.  In fact the trailer may be unique in this day and age in that it doesn't even hint at either the fact or the emotional impact of the key driver to the plot.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:03:03 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 03, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
fwiw, during this period of normally slim pickens at the cineplex, I saw In Bruges, and it is a solid thumbs up.  It's a much more complex film than the trailer indicates, but I can't say much more without getting into serious spoiler territory.  In fact the trailer may be unique in this day and age in that it doesn't even hint at either the fact or the emotional impact of the key driver to the plot.

Totally agree -- loved it. Colin Farrell (who was also great in the recent Woody Allen thing, Cassandra's Dream) is really terriffic in this. As are Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes.

And BTW, I saw Scarlett Jo in the Boleyn thang; it's PG-13 so the twins don't make much of a showing. You can def wait until DVD. ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 03, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

Totally agree -- loved it. Colin Farrell (who was also great in the recent Woody Allen thing, Cassandra's Dream) is really terriffic in this. As are Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes.

Yeah, in my book Brendan Gleeson needs to change his last name to Walsh, because he's in the M. Emmet Walsh/J.T. Walsh category now of actors who make any movie they're in well worth watching.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 03, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
You may remember there was some mild controversy when the eligibility of the song from Once for Oscar consideration was called into question by the Academy... and a few days later it was ruled eligible after all.  According to a post on Hollywood-Elsewhere:

"Apparently [Glen] Hansard was invited to some Irish rock stars photo shoot or event or something, and Bono comes up to him and starts chatting him up like he's old pals, and asks Hansard how it's going. Hansard says, well, I'm a bit bummed, we thought we were going to be up for an Oscar but now there's some issue with the eligibility because the record came out before the movie did. Bono says, 'What? Hang on a second.' He whips out his cellphone and calls somebody and tells him 'This is bullshit, you have to fix this.'

He hangs up and tells Hansard, 'Don't worry, I called David Geffen and told him to take care of it for you'. And so it was..."

Bono really IS God!

Maybe he can do something for the Seattle SuperSonics before he returns to saving the world/recording an album/buying new sunglasses.

That would be a really good use of his powers if you ask me.  The Sonics' situation reeks to high heaven.

Mark, you should check out what Bill Simmons has had to say about it at ESPN.com.  He's taking full advantage of his bully pulpit there.  (And I fully agree about the sitch; among other things, it's despicable that billionaires who are paying millionaires are forcing the working-class public to build and pay for their stadiums. Sports team owners = welfare recipients.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Mark, you should check out what Bill Simmons has had to say about it at ESPN.com.  He's taking full advantage of his bully pulpit there.  (And I fully agree about the sitch; among other things, it's despicable that billionaires who are paying millionaires are forcing the working-class public to build and pay for their stadiums. Sports team owners = welfare recipients.)

Oh I'm well aware of what Bill Simmons has been doing, and I couldn't agree with either of you more.  His contrast between the Congressional attention paid to Roger Clemens and the Congressional attention *not* being paid to this is most apt.  I really and truly hope Sonic fans take his advice and stage a non-violent protest to disrupt a game.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 12, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
Just for mshray (and the princess too), the skinny on Scarlett Jo's hot girl-on-girl action with Penelope Cruz in the next Woody Allen flick:

http://www.hotinhollywood.tv/original/scarlet_johansson/index.html

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 12, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
Just for mshray (and the princess too), the skinny on Scarlett Jo's hot girl-on-girl action with Penelope Cruz in the next Woody Allen flick:

OMG!  The picture accompanying that article has to be shared.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »

OMG!  The picture accompanying that article has to be shared.

gosh. i wish i were a famous hollywood director so i could make all my dreams come true.

they're gonna do it! (their way)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »

gosh. i wish i were a famous hollywood director so i could make all my dreams come true.

You could make like Peter Griffin and host a public-access TV show, "The Side-Boob Hour."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 13, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »

You could make like Peter Griffin and host a public-access TV show, "The Side-Boob Hour."

The princess could come up with something far funnier tha anything on Family Guy I'm sure.  Of course, so could a retarded monkey. ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 17, 2008, 08:45:28 AM »
Anyone else watch the John Adams miniseries on HBO last nite? I thought it was pretty great.

Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin: Best. Casting. EVER.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 17, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Anyone else watch the John Adams miniseries on HBO last nite? I thought it was pretty great.

Yes, I thought it was pretty great as well.  I just saw Michael Clayton last weekend, so I was Wilkinson's character in that was still fresh in my mind, which didn't exactly help when he showed up as Franklin, but I agree that he pulled it off nicely.

When are they showing part 3?  Now that the Wire is over (and the Sopranos, Deadwood, etc), I've been considering dumping HBO...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 17, 2008, 09:42:49 AM »

Yes, I thought it was pretty great as well.  I just saw Michael Clayton last weekend, so I was Wilkinson's character in that was still fresh in my mind, which didn't exactly help when he showed up as Franklin, but I agree that he pulled it off nicely.

When are they showing part 3?  Now that the Wire is over (and the Sopranos, Deadwood, etc), I've been considering dumping HBO...

"I am Ben Franklin, the God of Death!"

Next Sunday, and for the next 5 Sundays. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
Since it came up again in the KFOG St. Pat's set: Will someone kindly explain to me what the hell "I drink your milkshake!" means?  I watched the clip on YouTube and didn't understand what was going on, and so the point (and now, humor) of this catchphrase is lost on me.

Thx,
Chef Gaz.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:01:28 PM by Gazoo »