Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499427 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #825 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
I'm hearing good things about Charlie Bartlett, which (sadly) tanked at the box office this weekend. It's a sort of Ferris Bueller-for-the-new-millennium thing.  But apparently it makes sly use of "If You Got to Sing Out, Sing Out", in homage to Harold & Maude.

This is the first I've heard of it.  Sounds like my bag.

PS: No post-Oscar comments from anyone?  I'm surprised at youze.   :P
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 27, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »
I'm hearing good things about Charlie Bartlett, which (sadly) tanked at the box office this weekend. It's a sort of Ferris Bueller-for-the-new-millennium thing.  But apparently it makes sly use of "If You Got to Sing Out, Sing Out", in homage to Harold & Maude.

This is the first I've heard of it.  Sounds like my bag.

PS: No post-Oscar comments from anyone?  I'm surprised at youze.   :P

No comments because there were few surprises. Closest to one was the French chick over Julie Christie (deserved, IMHO). As I predicted months ago, Roger Deakins split the cinematography vote between his 2 noms and the guy from TWBB was able to sneak in.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
I'm sure Mark already has a ticket: Scarlett Jo opens Friday in the title role of The Other Boleyn Breasts Girl

That's ScarJo with her costar Natalie Portman.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »
I'm sure Mark already has a ticket: Scarlett Jo opens Friday in the title role of The Other Boleyn Breasts Girl

That's ScarJo with her costar Natalie Portman.

damn! look out betty white!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 27, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Nice, umm, picture.  The mind boggles.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 28, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
The Love Guru.  Just saw an ad for it.  Mike Myers, with help from Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake.  My interest is piqued.  I suspect Myers' inspiration in the role was Devendra Banhart.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:22 PM »
The Love Guru.  Just saw an ad for it.  Mike Myers, with help from Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake.  My interest is piqued.  I suspect Myers' inspiration in the role was Devendra Banhart.

So... he gets to do another Peter Sellers imitation, basically?  Timberlake plays a hockey player -- yeah, that's believeable. ::)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 29, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »

So... he gets to do another Peter Sellers imitation, basically?  Timberlake plays a hockey player -- yeah, that's believeable. ::)

Yeah, Peter Sellers, with a touch of Arte Johnson's "Rabbi Shankar" character from Laugh-In.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »

Yeah, Peter Sellers, with a touch of Arte Johnson's "Rabbi Shankar" character from Laugh-In.

Meyers is heavily into Deepak Chopra, I'm sad to report. They did an episode of IFC's "Iconoclasts" mutual-admiration-society series together.  Maybe Deepak is helping him deal with his sexuality?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 29, 2008, 11:23:04 AM »

speaking of, NYC's Film Forum is showing The Party as part of a month-long "90th Anniversary of United Artists" festival in April.  Some fabulous stuff.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »

speaking of, NYC's Film Forum is showing The Party as part of a month-long "90th Anniversary of United Artists" festival in April.  Some fabulous stuff.

Oh wow, I'll have to look into this - thx!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 29, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »

Oh wow, I'll have to look into this - thx!

http://www.filmforum.org/films/unitedartists.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 03, 2008, 04:45:13 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 03, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »
You may remember there was some mild controversy when the eligibility of the song from Once for Oscar consideration was called into question by the Academy... and a few days later it was ruled eligible after all.  According to a post on Hollywood-Elsewhere:

"Apparently [Glen] Hansard was invited to some Irish rock stars photo shoot or event or something, and Bono comes up to him and starts chatting him up like he's old pals, and asks Hansard how it's going. Hansard says, well, I'm a bit bummed, we thought we were going to be up for an Oscar but now there's some issue with the eligibility because the record came out before the movie did. Bono says, 'What? Hang on a second.' He whips out his cellphone and calls somebody and tells him 'This is bullshit, you have to fix this.'

He hangs up and tells Hansard, 'Don't worry, I called David Geffen and told him to take care of it for you'. And so it was..."

Bono really IS God!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 03, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »
You may remember there was some mild controversy when the eligibility of the song from Once for Oscar consideration was called into question by the Academy... and a few days later it was ruled eligible after all.  According to a post on Hollywood-Elsewhere:

"Apparently [Glen] Hansard was invited to some Irish rock stars photo shoot or event or something, and Bono comes up to him and starts chatting him up like he's old pals, and asks Hansard how it's going. Hansard says, well, I'm a bit bummed, we thought we were going to be up for an Oscar but now there's some issue with the eligibility because the record came out before the movie did. Bono says, 'What? Hang on a second.' He whips out his cellphone and calls somebody and tells him 'This is bullshit, you have to fix this.'

He hangs up and tells Hansard, 'Don't worry, I called David Geffen and told him to take care of it for you'. And so it was..."

Bono really IS God!

Maybe he can do something for the Seattle SuperSonics before he returns to saving the world/recording an album/buying new sunglasses.