Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499710 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #810 on: February 15, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »

Mark: yeah, I hate "Oscar parties" generally. (especially gay ones)

Maybe I could invite myself over?  We cancelled our DirectTV a while back, so I will not have the wherewithall to watch by myself this year, and Christina isn't all that much into the Oscars anyway.  But for the first time in a long time I have seen all the major contenders, have a rooting interest in the outcomes, & on the plus side for you, if you watch with me it won't be all that gay.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:21 PM »
Seen on cable tonight: The Shootist, John Wayne's final role, as a frontier holdover who shoots people for being mean to him but he's good at it and he's dying of a cancer so all is forgiven.  Surprisingly affecting, and effective.  Though I still hate Jimmy Stewart's voice.

Nashville is on now, and I wish I could stay up to watch it, but sleep beckons.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 16, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Seen on cable tonight: The Shootist, John Wayne's final role, as a frontier holdover who shoots people for being mean to him but he's good at it and he's dying of a cancer so all is forgiven.  Surprisingly affecting, and effective.  Though I still hate Jimmy Stewart's voice.

Nashville is on now, and I wish I could stay up to watch it, but sleep beckons.

TCM rules, esp when they do their annual all-Oscars-all-the-time thing.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 17, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »

Maybe I could invite myself over?  We cancelled our DirectTV a while back, so I will not have the wherewithall to watch by myself this year, and Christina isn't all that much into the Oscars anyway.  But for the first time in a long time I have seen all the major contenders, have a rooting interest in the outcomes, & on the plus side for you, if you watch with me it won't be all that gay.

Don't take it personally, but I'm kinda not in a "hosting" mood right now. Apartment a serious mess, etc.

But as to the question at hand, I got out my Oscar stat books, and started looking for bad Best Pic Noms.

2000: "Chocolat" (over "Almost Famous", "Billy Elliot", "Wonder Boys")
1992: "Scent of a Woman" (for which Pacino won the Oscar -- the role for which he least deserved it)
1989: "Dead Poets Society" (over "Do the Right Thing", "Henry V", "Glory", "Crimes & Misdemeanors").
1970: "Airport" *AND* "Love Story"! (over "Women in Love", "The Great White Hope", "Little Big Man"
1969: "Hello Dolly" (over "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?")

My favorite Oscar absurdity was in 1959: the Original Screenplay nominees included Hitchcock's  "North by Northwest", Truffaut's "The 400 Blows" and Bergman's "Wild Strawberries" ... so of course the winner was... "Pillow Talk".

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #814 on: February 18, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »

Don't take it personally, but I'm kinda not in a "hosting" mood right now. Apartment a serious mess, etc.

But as to the question at hand, I got out my Oscar stat books, and started looking for bad Best Pic Noms.

1992: "Scent of a Woman" (for which Pacino won the Oscar -- the role for which he least deserved it)
1989: "Dead Poets Society" (over "Do the Right Thing", "Henry V", "Glory", "Crimes & Misdemeanors").
1970: "Airport" *AND* "Love Story"! (over "Women in Love", "The Great White Hope", "Little Big Man"

My favorite Oscar absurdity was in 1959: the Original Screenplay nominees included Hitchcock's  "North by Northwest", Truffaut's "The 400 Blows" and Bergman's "Wild Strawberries" ... so of course the winner was... "Pillow Talk".

I always think of 1980 "Kramer vs. Kramer" over "Apocalypse Now."
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
here are the front and back graphics for a shirt i made a couple of weeks ago (it's in the wash, so i can't take a picture of me wearing it now):

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 18, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »
here are the front and back graphics for a shirt i made a couple of weeks ago (it's in the wash, so i can't take a picture of me wearing it now):

That's hilarious -- and so true. She Wasn't. Even. NOMINATED! But technically, that's the Oscars for 1980 (ceremony in March of '81).

For those of you who are scratching your heads... Ms D'Angelo played Patsy Cline in Coal Miner's Daughter and was considered a Supp Actress shoo-in by many -- but it didn't happen.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 18, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »

That's hilarious -- and so true. She Wasn't. Even. NOMINATED! But technically, that's the Oscars for 1980 (ceremony in March of '81).

For those of you who are scratching your heads... Ms D'Angelo played Patsy Cline in Coal Miner's Daughter and was considered a Supp Actress shoo-in by many -- but it didn't happen.

Oh, I assumed Vacation.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 19, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »

well, she wasn't robbed until they didn't nominate her (in '81). she sang her own parts, too!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:08 AM »

well, she wasn't robbed until they didn't nominate her (in '81). she sang her own parts, too!!

Sorry, I'm Oscar-anal  ;)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »

I was thinking of several of those, especially Dead Poets Society (which also featured one of the least deserving Best Actor noms - not only did Robin Williams get the nom simply for not OVERacting, he wan't even a lead in the story!).

don't worry about the viewing thing, it was contingent on getting a hall pass from my wife anyway, and that didn't happen (too many chores to do).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:41:39 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 22, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Just watched Flirting With Disaster -- first time I'd seen it since it was released in '96. Still hilarious. Ben Stiller when he was actually funny, a young (and very hot) Josh Brolin, Mary Tyler Moore, Lily Tomlin... if you've never seen it, rent it immediately.

"Jerry Garcia -- blah, blah, BLAH!"

SFGuy

« Reply #822 on: February 22, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
I don't watch the Oscar's nor do I follow it because I don't really watch movies but when was the Oscar's moved from late March?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 23, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
I don't watch the Oscar's nor do I follow it because I don't really watch movies but when was the Oscar's moved from late March?

2 years ago -- it was an experiment designed to make the "campaign season" shorter and therefore less expensive and acrimonious, FWIW.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
I'm hearing good things about Charlie Bartlett, which (sadly) tanked at the box office this weekend. It's a sort of Ferris Bueller-for-the-new-millennium thing.  But apparently it makes sly use of "If You Got to Sing Out, Sing Out", in homage to Harold & Maude.