Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499370 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
ETA:  Not planning on seeing it, either.  Though the bear fight looks cool.

Wife & Kids want to see it tomorrow, I'll let y'all know what I think.  Been reading the Narnia books the last couple weeks (The Magician's Nephew & The Last Battle, the 6th & 7th, according to the original order) to my kids & we re-watched the first movie last weekend.  The 2nd movie, Prince Caspian, is coming this May.

Not that y'all are holding your breath, but we haven't sen it yet, probably going on the 22nd for Adrian's b-day.

The reviews have moved it way down on my to-see list.  The next 3 weeks are traditionally an orgy of moviegoing for me. This weekend: Atonement and Juno.  But I'm most looking forward to Walk Hard, which looks freakin' hilarious.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2007, 02:19:01 PM »
http://imdb.com/features/rto/2008/globes

Golden Globe Noms are out this morning.  Can't believe Eastern Promises got a Best Picture & Best Actor nod without getting a Best Supporting nom for Armin Mueller-Stahl.  Wonder if the Academy will fix this.  Between him & Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton & Javier Bardem in NCFOM, I was going to predict that this year Supporting Actor race was shaping up like the Best Actor race in 1983, with Mueller-Stahl & Wilkinson playing Hoffman & Newman  to Bardem's Kingsley (veterans in the roles of their lives, doomed to lose to a breakout perf for the ages from a European).

only wilkinson and mueller-stahl are also european.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 13, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »

Golden Globe Noms are out this morning.  Can't believe Eastern Promises got a Best Picture & Best Actor nod without getting a Best Supporting nom for Armin Mueller-Stahl.  Wonder if the Academy will fix this.  Between him & Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton & Javier Bardem in NCFOM, I was going to predict that this year Supporting Actor race was shaping up like the Best Actor race in 1983, with Mueller-Stahl & Wilkinson playing Hoffman & Newman  to Bardem's Kingsley (veterans in the roles of their lives, doomed to lose to a breakout perf for the ages from a European).

I know, I ought to have written "up and coming" or "previously little-known" European.

But seriously, I posted here that I thought Armin M-S was a mortal lock, and then I saw Michael Clayton & thought Tom W was a mortal lock, and then I started reading reviews of Bardem and began to wonder just how good he'd have to be for the reviewers (who must have already seen the other two performances) to be ravingthe way the were, and then I saw it for myself.  And really, one of my first thoughts upon leaving the theater was "Poor Tom & Armin".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 13, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »

I know, I ought to have written "up and coming" or "previously little-known" European.

But seriously, I posted here that I thought Armin M-S was a mortal lock, and then I saw Michael Clayton & thought Tom W was a mortal lock, and then I started reading reviews of Bardem and began to wonder just how good he'd have to be for the reviewers (who must have already seen the other two performances) to be ravingthe way the were, and then I saw it for myself.  And really, one of my first thoughts upon leaving the theater was "Poor Tom & Armin".

well, so far, i've only seen promises. i'm planning to see clayton tomorrow. and the bardem flick hasn't opened here yet (though he is on EVERY magazine cover at the newstand). talk about national pride!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 13, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »
i'm planning to see clayton tomorrow.

Hope you like it as much as I did -- the Clooney rocks mah world.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 13, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
i'm planning to see clayton tomorrow.

Hope you like it as much as I did -- the Clooney rocks mah world.

mine, too! i don't even know what it's about - just going to see it for him. i rarely know what movies are about before i see them, though. i just pick them by the posters, directors, and actors - in that order.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »

mine, too! i don't even know what it's about - just going to see it for him. i rarely know what movies are about before i see them, though. i just pick them by the posters, directors, and actors - in that order.

That's what it was like for me when I lived in Taiwan.  I saw some real doozies that way.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 14, 2007, 08:12:28 AM »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 14, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »

That's what it was like for me when I lived in Taiwan.  I saw some real doozies that way.
I have an admit two pass for Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story. Up for grabs! Screening is Thursday 7pm Dec 20 at Centeury 20 Oakridge in San Jose. I'm not going.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 14, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
I have an admit two pass for Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story. Up for grabs! Screening is Thursday 7pm Dec 20 at Centeury 20 Oakridge in San Jose. I'm not going.

I could do that!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 14, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »

I could do that!
I'll mail it to you.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 15, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »
Best Hip-Hop Review of an Incredibly White Movie: this post, from Metacritic, praising Atonement:

"Yo, this movie was some of that dank shit. I straight up cried in like two parts, son. The acting is phenomenal and the screenplay is dope. Two forties up."

FWIW, I saw it last night and thought it was pretty great.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 23, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
I just came from seeing Walk Hard  -- it is very VERY funny. With a level of craft that's light-years ahead of all those Scary/Epic/Date Movie cheezeball parodies. The orig songs are terrific. And it's apparently the surprise flop of the season -- it'll barely make $5M this weekend (compare that to Nat'l Treasure 2's $54M). So see it ASAP, you will not be sorry.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 28, 2007, 07:33:03 AM »
Belated Xmas Wish: I've been complaining alll year that it seems like every Woody Allen movie ever made has been on cable repeatedly these last couple of years -- except Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex. Well it finally showed up on Starz, and I watched it last nite, first time in years and years. Still hilarious.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 28, 2007, 07:36:49 AM »
My only movie of the year was I Am Legend, which was interesting but ultimately unsatisfying and anticlimactic.  They could have been a lot more imaginative (and given its 1:40 running time, it's not like they didn't have room to).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”