Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 490488 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #2115 on: August 11, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy: Soundtrack supervision by Dave Morey.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

wait, what?  You read the credits and this is the name that appeared, correct?  coincidence
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

wait, what?  You read the credits and this is the name that appeared, correct?  coincidence

the sndtk is loaded with '70s cheeze -- ooga-chukka, ooga-ooga!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

the sndtk is loaded with '70s cheeze -- ooga-chukka, ooga-ooga!

Not literally, but seemed like it could have been -- pretty much every song in the soundtrack has appeared more than once in 10@10, mostly during the Morey era.

In any case, a very fun film, one of the 3 or 4 best I've seen this summer.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 12, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
This morning on KPOO, JJ said the James Brown movie was "silly and ridiculous". Honestly, that's the first bad thing I've heard about it, but if anybody knows his JB, it's JJ.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2120 on: August 16, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
This morning on KPOO, JJ said the James Brown movie was "silly and ridiculous". Honestly, that's the first bad thing I've heard about it, but if anybody knows his JB, it's JJ.

I don't know if JJ is black, but there is a certain thread out there that the movie is an exploitation since the producers and director/writers are not black.  We enjoyed the movie, and it seems to me like Mick Jagger was mainly interested in letting the world know how big a talent James Brown was.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »

I don't know if JJ is black, but there is a certain thread out there that the movie is an exploitation since the producers and director/writers are not black.  We enjoyed the movie, and it seems to me like Mick Jagger was mainly interested in letting the world know how big a talent James Brown was.

JJ is black. And I get the particular POV you referenced; like 42 last year, this was another biopic of a black icon that Spike Lee wanted desperately to direct, but got shut-out of.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 01, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »

JJ is black. And I get the particular POV you referenced; like 42 last year, this was another biopic of a black icon that Spike Lee wanted desperately to direct, but got shut-out of.

Finally caught up with Get on Up today -- had to go to Berkeley, since it's disappeared from SF theaters.  Really enjoyed it, and Chadwick Boseman was really terrific. "Don't tell me when, where or for how long I can be funky!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 05, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
after being on the shelf for years (IMDB says it was finished in 2008!) the docu about the Wrecking Crew is FINALLY getting released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5BCgmr7tg

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 06, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »
YAY!

Comes out the week after my birthday, so I think that will be a present to myself. 

ETA:  Since Tinka & I share the same b-day, maybe we can get a club event organized around this? 

ETA 2:  Everyone should click through on the YouTube link Mike provides above, because there are dozens of related clips that will pop up after you see the trailer.  I am not going to get anything else done today!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:56:22 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 11, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
Saw a preview of this today and it's pretty good. The list of songs these guys played on is impressive. (And it was mostly men, except for Carol Kaye, the woman who came up with a boatload of awesome licks, including the signature bass line of Sonny & Cher's The Beat Goes On.) One downside of the movie was being reminded that the Beach Boys didn't play on their own recordings after the early years. Pet Sounds is all Brian arranging the Wrecking Crew with the BB on backing vox. This will hit Bay Area theaters March 27.
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 29, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
Has everyone who's going to see The Force Awakens seen it yet?  I don't want to have to worry about spoilers if I discuss it here.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 29, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Has everyone who's going to see The Force Awakens seen it yet?  I don't want to have to worry about spoilers if I discuss it here.

I have not -- I'm seeing it Monday. I stand in line for neither man nor Wookiee.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2128 on: January 15, 2016, 07:46:20 PM »
I've been hearing lots of talk on progressive radio about how white the Oscar nominations turned out.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
I've been hearing lots of talk on progressive radio about how white the Oscar nominations turned out.

Wow... I am very surprised to hear that... you mean there's actually progressive radio?

:)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"