Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499661 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #2085 on: June 28, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
The Embarcadero theater is "closed for renovations"... until NOVEMBER!!  WTFF??
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 28, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »

the renovations are supposed to be extensive.. as in you won't recognize it.  I like that Embarcadero walkway system. It's so 1973.

How did you find out about it?   I knew b/c I saw an email press release at work, but the website itself makes no mention:

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanFrancisco/EmbarcaderoCenterCinema.htm
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 28, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »

the renovations are supposed to be extensive.. as in you won't recognize it.  I like that Embarcadero walkway system. It's so 1973.

How did you find out about it?   I knew b/c I saw an email press release at work, but the website itself makes no mention:

I walk past it all the time, and saw the message a couple of weeks ago. My regrets for not alerting y'all.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 28, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »

I walk past it all the time, and saw the message a couple of weeks ago. My regrets for not alerting y'all.

most recent film I saw there was Terrence Malick's To the Wonder.  I think it scared me away for a while..    ;)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

I saw that their listing on Fandango was blank, so I called the recorded number for showtimes, which makes the announcement.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Best bad reviews of the summer?  R.I.P.D. is apparently quite dreadful.

"In R.I.P.D., we have a legitimate train wreck of a motion picture: a film that doesn't work on any level. It's not funny. It's not exciting. It's not engaging. It's a waste of time and money."

"It so shamelessly borrows from so many other movies, and then does absolutely nothing to add to them -- nothing to raise the bar, nothing to make it more interesting, and really nothing to make it the least bit appealing."

"For a movie that so strenuously rips off Ghostbusters and Men in Black, R.I.P.D. manages to come up with fresh new ways of being absolutely terrible."

"This expensive misfire runs a little less than ninety minutes, which means that there’s likely a 105-110 minute long version that the producers hacked up in order to get the maximum amount of 3D showtimes to not embarrass the studio on opening weekend. Judging by the released product, that version is likely even worse, if such a thing were possible."

and my favorite:

"The results feel rote and trite, like a mid-1980s NBC pilot designed to take the 9:00 hour between Misfits of Science and Manimal."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:50:34 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: August 07, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
Albert Brooks wonders: "How come Lovelace isn't in 3-D?"  Heh.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2092 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »
Not sure how many of you have seen "Blue Jasmine" yet.  Really good movie, but funny thing is how a couple scenes are filmed at very familiar locations.  One, in maybe the 3rd scene, is on the corner down the block.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/20511_10201877795409367_1922811571_n.jpg
(this is not a scene from the movie, but a promo shot of our band on the same street corner we took a couple of years ago)

Then, late in the movie, there's a scene in a guitar store that's supposed to be in Oakland, but it's really near Mission and Van Ness, and the shop where I do a lot of business.  I guess when I was told I couldn't get one of my basses assembled in time because Woody Allen took over the shop for filming, he was telling the truth!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:06:46 PM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: August 09, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
Not sure how many of you have seen "Blue Jasmine" yet.  Really good movie, but funny thing is how a couple scenes are filmed at very familiar locations.  One, in maybe the 3rd scene, is on the corner down the block.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/20511_10201877795409367_1922811571_n.jpg
(this is not a scene from the movie, but a promo shot of our band on the same street corner we took a couple of years ago)

Then, late in the movie, there's a scene in a guitar store that's supposed to be in Oakland, but it's really near Mission and Van Ness, and the shop where I do a lot of business.  I guess when I was told I couldn't get one of my basses assembled in time because Woody Allen took over the shop for filming, he was telling the truth!

Definitely at the top of current releases I want to see.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »
Saw Fillmore - The Last Days (1972) the other night.  Culled form the final week's perfs form the Fillmore (West) on Market and Van Ness.   It closed in 1971, and even then people (mainly Bill Graham)  were reminiscing about the golden age of hippiedom, even thought the Summer Of Love was only four years before.   Good document of live music from the period (but as a history nut I wanted more historical footage of SF back then).

The acts back then mainly just plugged in, sang and played without on unadorned stages.   Your talent had to be there, no hiding behind an effects box or clouds of fog and strobe lights.  Of course, playing to a stoned audience was prob in your favor. :)  Can't say I was that taken with the music from Cold Blood, but I understand they were faves of Bill Graham (he signed them to his SF Records label). The singer, Lydia Pense, channels Janis' bluesy voice well enough, but I was distracted by the attention she seemed to give her lovely hair while on stage.  In an era where many of the performers were rocking the hippie look, someone so conventionally attractive and seemingly aware of it tended to stick out.  We f-fwd'd through some of their songs after deciding the music it self was kinda meh.  There seemed to be a lot of meh stuff (for me) in that film.  Like the tunes from Hot Tuna.   Oh dear, Jorma sang like he was holding his nose...  IMO, the best music on this movie came from the Dead, Elvin Bishop and Santana.  Fun document, though, and a close look at the ornery and dynamic Bill Graham, who spends a considerable amt of time yelling into the phone at Santana's management, trying to get them to stop being divas about their slot as the final act on the Fillmore stage. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »
Can't say I was that taken with the music from Cold Blood, but I understand they were faves of Bill Graham (he signed them to his SF Records label). The singer, Lydia Pense, channels Janis' bluesy voice well enough, but I was distracted by the attention she seemed to give her lovely hair while on stage.  In an era where many of the performers were rocking the hippie look, someone so conventionally attractive and seemingly aware of it tended to stick out.  We f-fwd'd through some of their songs after deciding the music it self was kinda meh. 

Of course, that was kinda the hook when they were trying to sell Cold Blood: "She sounds like Janis -- only she's hot-looking!" Don't think I've seen that docu, but the early '70s were a treasure-trove of music movies -- studios were scooping them up in the wake of Woodstock's success. I remember going to see the Concert For Bengla Desh  movie during Easter vacation in '72.

I *do* remember the closing of the Fillmore East, which was broadcast live on WNEW-FM and WPLJ. I heard some but not all of it, and nothing really stands out in my mind -- it was a Sunday nite and the next day was the last day of school for the semester.  Gotta work that into the novel, methinks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:14:36 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
Saw Fillmore - The Last Days (1972) the other night.  Culled form the final week's perfs form the Fillmore (West) on Market and Van Ness.   It closed in 1971, and even then people (mainly Bill Graham)  were reminiscing about the golden age of hippiedom, even thought the Summer Of Love was only four years before.   Good document of live music from the period (but as a history nut I wanted more historical footage of SF back then).

The acts back then mainly just plugged in, sang and played without on unadorned stages.   Your talent had to be there, no hiding behind an effects box or clouds of fog and strobe lights.  Of course, playing to a stoned audience was prob in your favor. :)  Can't say I was that taken with the music from Cold Blood, but I understand they were faves of Bill Graham (he signed them to his SF Records label). The singer, Lydia Pense, channels Janis' bluesy voice well enough, but I was distracted by the attention she seemed to give her lovely hair while on stage.  In an era where many of the performers were rocking the hippie look, someone so conventionally attractive and seemingly aware of it tended to stick out.  We f-fwd'd through some of their songs after deciding the music it self was kinda meh.  There seemed to be a lot of meh stuff (for me) in that film.  Like the tunes from Hot Tuna.   Oh dear, Jorma sang like he was holding his nose...  IMO, the best music on this movie came from the Dead, Elvin Bishop and Santana.  Fun document, though, and a close look at the ornery and dynamic Bill Graham, who spends a considerable amt of time yelling into the phone at Santana's management, trying to get them to stop being divas about their slot as the final act on the Fillmore stage.
This was practically the week I moved to San Francisco.  I went the first night (I think!) and saw the Boz Scaggs/Cold Blood and some others.  I liked Cold Blood, especially because the bass player was one of my biggest influences at the time (along with Tower of Power).  At the end, Taj Mahal came out to jam, which I think is also in the film.  I loved this era of Boz (Moments) and he really rocked.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »

This was practically the week I moved to San Francisco.  I went the first night (I think!) and saw the Boz Scaggs/Cold Blood and some others.  I liked Cold Blood, especially because the bass player was one of my biggest influences at the time (along with Tower of Power).  At the end, Taj Mahal came out to jam, which I think is also in the film.  I loved this era of Boz (Moments) and he really rocked.

they had a killer horn section, too.   The movie does not contain Boz or Taj, but Boz is on the album. (Taj is not) >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillmore:_The_Last_Days

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: August 19, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »

they had a killer horn section, too.   The movie does not contain Boz or Taj, but Boz is on the album. (Taj is not) >>

Actually, the Taj jams appear to be on disc 2

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »

Actually, the Taj jams appear to be on disc 2

I sit corrected.   Taj Mahal is still wonderful, saw him last fall at the Independent. 
~CPL593H~