Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499469 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
went up to the Lumiere to catch the Oscar Nominated Shorts (live action) -- they're all good, hard to pick the best.

But damn, Polk street was depressing: the discount wine store around the corner was out-of business, and my fave Indian restaurant, India Aroma (next door to Red Devil Lounge) has also gone belly-up. Damn.
We were just talking about cheap Indian places on Polk.  There are others still, right?

Shalamar's still there, right?  Well, if you're in the mood for not cheap/not Indian, there's always Swan's!

yeah, the cheaper places a few blocks south of there are still around.  There used to be a great place on Valencia called Scenic India, and the owners of that place also ran India Aroma.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:20:40 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
did an Embarcadero double-header today.

Movie #1: Chico y Rita, the surprise Best Animated Film nominee -- a hand-drawn love story about Cuban musicians, refugees who come to NYC in the '50s and interact with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker. Very sweet.

Movie #2: Rampart -- hot damn! Woody Harrelson as a very VERY dirty, corrupt LA cop. A great bit of acting that deserved more Oscar-season traction. Anne Heche and Cynthia Nixon as his 2 ex-wives, Sigourney Weaver as the city prosecutor trying to cut a deal, great supporting cameos from Ben Foster and Ice Cube (as one of the good guys!)... highly recommended.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
I'm not even doing an Oscar-predictions post this year -- it's been looking like the Most. Boring. Oscars. EVAH. A sweet, clever, but very minor trifle of a film -- a movie very few Americans have seen or ever will -- is probably gonna walk away with 5 or 6 awards (if the pundits are correct). It was an underwhelming year for movies generally, IMHO.

But it's looking like the show itself may have its moments: Crystal may be old but he *can* be funny, and they've lined up some funny folks as presenters: Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Chris Rock, Ben Stiller, Tina Fey, the cast of Bridesmaids and -- but of course! --  Kermit & Miss Piggy. Man or Muppet, indeed.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
another very well-wriiten piece from Mr Ebert. I haven't seen Act of Valor (nor do I want to), but I *have* seen Hell & Back Again, the Oscar-nommed documentary he references here. 

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120222/REVIEWS/120229991

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
Oscar post-mortem: The show didn't suck (Tim Goodman was being far too cranky last nite). Crystal did what he was hired to do, the funny people were (for the most part) actually funny, and at 3 hrs 10 mins it was one of the shorter shows of the past decade. No major complaints.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
Boy, snarking makes the time fly by!  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »
The SF Chronicle's Mick LaSalle will be the guest on KQED's Forum with Michael Krasny today at 9 AM.   88.5 FM

I'll cross post this you-know-where.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:56:05 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
"My baby fits me like a flesh torpedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink toprpedo"

Spinal Tap on TCM.

"how could I leave this....BEHIND?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
Great casting: Viola Davis as the late, great Rep. Barbara Jordan:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051235

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »

Planning to catch Hunger games this weekend.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 03, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
Roger Ebert sums up Avengers:

These films are all more or less similar, and The Avengers gives us much, much more of the same. There must be a threat. The heroes must be enlisted. The villain must be dramatized. Some personality defects are probed. And then the last hour or so consists of special effects in which large mechanical objects engage in combat that results in deafening crashes and explosions and great balls of fire.

Much of this battle takes place in midtown Manhattan, where the neatest sequences involve Loki's ginormous slithering, undulating snake-lizard-dragon machine, which seems almost to have a mind of its own and is backed up by countless snakelings. At one point, an Avenger flies into the mouth of this leviathan and penetrates its entire length, emerging at the business end. You won't see that in The Human Centipede.

"Comic-Con nerds will have multiple orgasms," predicts critic David Edelstein in New York magazine, confirming something I had vaguely suspected about them. If he is correct, it's time for desperately needed movies to re-educate nerds in the joys of sex. The Avengers is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: May 07, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »
My review of Avengers:

In 2012, when you get a movie with 3-6 superheroes (there seems to be a lack of consensus on whether or not Hawkeye, Black Widow, and The Hulk are considered), it better have brilliant special effects and be wall-to-wall eye candy.  And it is.

But the plot...ugh.  It wasn't really offensive so much as it just wasn't there.  To start off, it should have been called "Thor II" instead of "The Avengers."  It's weakly centered around a battle between Thor and Loki, and as in Thor I, this doesn't really work.  Partly because both of these are weak characters, but mostly because Loki is not a legitimate villain.  He is more of a trickster and has no purpose in mind other than causing very expensive and inhumane mischief.  The other superheroes, although nice to look at, feel more like auxiliaries especially with no real villain in sight.

The movie made it seem like they could have captured Loki so many times but didn't just so they could drag out more fight scenes.  The good vs. bad fights were spectacular and, at times, could reclassify this movie as comedy.  On the other hand, the fights and bicker scenes between our heroes were pointless and we don't get the sense that they're legitimately working together, even at the end, so much as we get the sense that the director just wants us to give us colorful fight scenes. 

Which, speaking of, do not disappoint.  It's hard not to smile when a massive green block starts throwing bad guys around, or when Captain America in spandex stops monstercraft with his discus-type shield.  Comedic timing is especially skillful for an action movie.  For those in the know (which is most of the audience) this movie cleverly finds ways to pays homage to many of the comic book greats.

It's just too bad that this is wasted on a plot like this -- it could have been something great, on every level, rather than simply being good for looks & laughs.

Rating: B

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
Saw the little indie time-travel movie Safety Not Guaranteed last nite. It's "quirky" and fairly clever. But while I generally believe that less is more -- save us from bloated CGI extravaganzas! -- this is one flick that would've benefitted from a bigger budget and from a different actor than Mark Duplass as the guy who claims he can go back in time.

And speaking of Duplass, he also directs films (teamed with his brother Jay). And I've HATED everything they've been involved in -- The Puffy Chair, Humpday, Cyrus -- so imagine my surprise when I watched their latest on VOD the other nite, Jeff Who Lives at Home. Wow, talk about a movie that was not quite what you expected.  Jason Segal as a stoner doofus who lives in his mom's (Susan Sarandon) basement, with Ed Helms as his obnoxious brother. That description had me expecting stoner-doofus hijinks but... oh no.  A movie that goes someplace entirely other, and well worth checking out. It's on Comcast's On-Demand menu at the moment.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: October 09, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
Saw The Paperboy yesterday and boy it's pretty much as awful as you may have heard. It's quite a mess, but not exactly the no-bad-it's-good "camp classic" some have touted it as.  Lee Daniels (the guy who did Precious) takes a Pete Dexter novel and tries to turn it into trailer-trash-noir meets The Help. Or something.  Nicole Kidman urinates on Zac Efron (seriously).  I gotta hope/believe that the book was better. Oy.

Oh, and while there are a couple of great soul nuggets on the soundtrack (like "Third Finger, Left Hand") Daniels commits the cardinal sin of period filmmaking: songs from the wrong year. Although the film takes place in 1969, Al Wilson's 1974 hit "Show & Tell" blares from a car radio in one scene. How hard is it to get that sorta thing right?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:51:52 AM by RGMike »