Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499946 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1965 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »
Just came from seeing Shame, with Michael "donkey dick" Fassbender. Wow.  I loves me some NC-17.

OMG jealous!

:)  It's actually a good movie, aside from the sex. Carey Mulligan does the damndest version of "New York New York".

I loves me some ginger Fassy:

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »

OMG jealous!
[/quote]

Green with envy; nice touch
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1967 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »
We saw Tin Tin last night, and really enjoyed it.  I guess they figure it's just a kid's movie because there are only a few showings in the evening.  No, it's not too complex, but it's totally engrossing, as a movie should be.  We saw it on a real small screen at the Presidio, but at times could see why it might be good in 3D. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
We saw Tin Tin last night, and really enjoyed it.  I guess they figure it's just a kid's movie because there are only a few showings in the evening.  No, it's not too complex, but it's totally engrossing, as a movie should be.  We saw it on a real small screen at the Presidio, but at times could see why it might be good in 3D.

Oddly, I have no desire to see it, despite being an animation geek. I never read the comic books or watched the TV shows as a kid. It was never on my radar. But I'm amused that the bad guy appears to look just like Spielberg -- is that true to the original comics?

Tonite I saw The Muppets for the 2nd time; every bit as wonderful as the first time and I was able to pay more attention to how nicely it was directed. If Bret MacKenzie's songs aren't Oscar-nominated I may go postal.  My annual holiday movie orgy begins in earnest tomorrow. I hope to see most of these in the next 11 days:

Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo
Sherlock Holmes 2
We Bought a Zoo

(damn -- those rhyme!)
Land of Blood & Honey
War Horse
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Flowers of War
Pariah

and there are still Oscar-bait movies (Carnage, The Iron Lady, Coriolanus) that don't open here until January.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: December 23, 2011, 07:56:39 AM »

Tonite I saw The Muppets for the 2nd time; every bit as wonderful as the first time and I was able to pay more attention to how nicely it was directed. If Bret MacKenzie's songs aren't Oscar-nominated I may go postal.  My annual holiday movie orgy begins in earnest tomorrow. I hope to see most of these in the next 11 days:

Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo
Sherlock Holmes 2
We Bought a Zoo

(damn -- those rhyme!)
Land of Blood & Honey
War Horse
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Flowers of War
Pariah

and there are still Oscar-bait movies (Carnage, The Iron Lady, Coriolanus) that don't open here until January.

Gonna see The Muppets today with my boy.  Can't wait! 
Turns out I have next week off.  Maybe I'll catch The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with you!

Here's the trailer to Ridley Scott's Prometheus.  Looks bad-ass.  Fassy alert!
http://youtu.be/sftuxbvGwiU

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 23, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
Turns out I have next week off.  Maybe I'll catch The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with you!

I'm actually seeing TGWTDT today (it's loooong) "Tinker Taylor" tomorrow and am up for any of the others next week. Flowers of War is about the rape of Nanking and stars Christian Bale -- ah loves me some Bale -- and it's playing at the Bridge. I was thinking some early DimSum followed by a matinee.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: December 23, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »

I'm actually seeing TGWTDT today (it's loooong) "Tinker Taylor" tomorrow and am up for any of the others next week. Flowers of War is about the rape of Nanking and stars Christian Bale -- ah loves me some Bale -- and it's playing at the Bridge. I was thinking some early DimSum followed by a matinee.

I loves me some Bale, too.  Dang, that means I missed Melancholia at The Bridge.  Dim Sum sounds good too.  Lemme see which days next week I'll be kid-free. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 23, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »

I loves me some Bale, too.  Dang, that means I missed Melancholia at The Bridge.  Dim Sum sounds good too.  Lemme see which days next week I'll be kid-free.

sounds like a plan -- and Melancholia is available on Comcast On-Demand for 5 bucks.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »

sounds like a plan -- and Melancholia is available on Comcast On-Demand for 5 bucks.
Dude.  I don't have Comcast.  That sh*t is hella spendy.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1974 on: December 23, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
Oddly, I have no desire to see it, despite being an animation geek. I never read the comic books or watched the TV shows as a kid. It was never on my radar. But I'm amused that the bad guy appears to look just like Spielberg -- is that true to the original comics?
I have no idea about the original comics.  It's just a well-made, entertaining movie.  I think you could say the bad guy looks like Spielberg; his voice is Daniel Craig.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 23, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
I have no idea about the original comics.  It's just a well-made, entertaining movie.  I think you could say the bad guy looks like Spielberg; his voice is Daniel Craig.

And speaking of Mr Craig, I just saw ...Dragon Tattoo. Thought it was pretty great -- but then I'm a big David Fincher fan.  I've neither read the books nor seen the Swedish films made of them, so it was all new to me.  And I kinda wanted to hate Rooney Mara (another child of privilege who wants to be a movie star; see also: Armie Hammer) but damn she's really impressive.  It's loooong -- over 2-1/2 hrs -- but never boring.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: December 23, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Just saw The Muppets.  It really is all that!  Makes me wanna buy all the Muppet Show DVDs.....

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 25, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yesterday. Another case of never having read the book or seen the orig BBC mini-series. But I really enjoyed it -- terrific British cast, and very densely-plotted, which I like. Big thumbs up if you're an old-fashioned spy-thriller type. 

And it turns out Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and In the Land of Blodd & Honey don't open here until January, along with Carnage, Albert Nobbs, Iron Lady and several other Oscar contenders. I can't remember the last time SF was denied so many year-end "prestige" pictures before Xmas. WTF, Hollywood?

And now I'm off to see We Bought a Zoo.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 25, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
And it turns out Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and In the Land of Blodd & Honey don't open here until January, along with Carnage, Albert Nobbs, Iron Lady and several other Oscar contenders. I can't remember the last time SF was denied so many year-end "prestige" pictures before Xmas. WTF, Hollywood?

Then I can probably count on seeing them in Portland around mid-February. ;)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 25, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

And now I'm off to see We Bought a Zoo.

and now I'm back -- it was rather sweet. You can imagine what Disney might've done with the same plot back in the '60s (where's Hayley Mills when you need her?).  Only in a Cameron Crowe movie would a zoo have a jukebox.