Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499871 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1950 on: November 25, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
almost forgot to mention that the new Pixar short that precedes the Muppet film (featuring the Toy Story gang) is also awesome.
That was a nice treat indeed!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: November 27, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
We just saw the Muppet movie, and really enjoyed it.  It's kind of a Thanksgiving Turkey, per Dave's definition this morning.  We really enjoyed it, even if it's kind of stupid/silly.  At times, I was genuinely touched.  But I'm a corny old guy, and I'd be curious what the, how we say, less gullible reviewers think.

Loved it. Rainbow Connection got me misty.  Well done.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1952 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
We just saw the Muppet movie, and really enjoyed it.  It's kind of a Thanksgiving Turkey, per Dave's definition this morning.  We really enjoyed it, even if it's kind of stupid/silly.  At times, I was genuinely touched.  But I'm a corny old guy, and I'd be curious what the, how we say, less gullible reviewers think.

That scene reminded me of the Mighty Wind movie just a bit!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »

That scene reminded me of the Mighty Wind movie just a bit!

We saw it last night, too. First time I've been in a nearly full theater (at least at the local multiplex) in ages. Pretty much agree with the previously expressed opinions--my wife almost lost it during Rainbow Connection as well. Didn't make the Mighty Wind association at the time, but it's fitting.  And I had fun trying to spot the various cameos. Some were pretty obvious (like Neil Patrick Harris), but did anyone spot Dave Grohl? I saw someone that I thought kind of looked like him, mentioned it to Sarah, and it turned out I was right. That bugger is everywhere.

Was a little disappointed there was no final bit of action tacked on after the credits. Quite a few folks hung around anticipating some sort of lagniappe, and didn't get it. Oh well.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: December 01, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »
Saw Arthur Christmas last nite in 3-D. From the Aardman folks, but not a Claymation thingy like their Wallace & Gromit or Chicken Run. Terribly British and wonderfully inventive -- really enjoyed it. But be warned: you'll be subjected to Justin Bieber's  version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" -- TWICE.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: December 03, 2011, 12:37:42 AM »
Watching Model Shop (Jacques Demy, 1968), and the band Spirit not only has some soundtrack music in it, but they make an appearance as themselves.  The main male character (played by Gary Lockwood, 2001) even sits down and chats w Jay Ferguson for a while. Jay's not a real good actor, btw.  Anouk Aimee also stars.   Nice LA locations. Vietnam war looms.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: December 03, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
Watching Model Shop (Jacques Demy, 1968), and the band Spirit not only has some soundtrack music in it, but they make an appearance as themselves.  The main male character (played by Gary Lockwood, 2001) even sits down and chats w Jay Ferguson for a while. Jay's not a real good actor, btw.  Anouk Aimee also stars.   Nice LA locations. Vietnam war looms.

YES! strange flick -- I posted this 3 years ago:

"So TCM is showing this odd, obscure 1969 film I'd never heard of called Model Shop, one of those existential things so fashionable back then, with people wandering aimlessly and contemplating the meaning of their existence. Very European (dir. by Jacques Demy) despite taking place in LA. Gary Lockwood (of 2001) becomes obsessed with French chick Anouk Aimee (best known for A Man and a Woman). And about 20 minutes into it, Lockwood's character goes to visit some friends who have a band, and they're played by... Spirit! And in the next scene he has a heart-to-heart conversation with Jay Ferguson! Weird."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: December 03, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »

YES! strange flick -- I posted this 3 years ago:

"So TCM is showing this odd, obscure 1969 film I'd never heard of called Model Shop, one of those existential things so fashionable back then, with people wandering aimlessly and contemplating the meaning of their existence. Very European (dir. by Jacques Demy) despite taking place in LA. Gary Lockwood (of 2001) becomes obsessed with French chick Anouk Aimee (best known for A Man and a Woman). And about 20 minutes into it, Lockwood's character goes to visit some friends who have a band, and they're played by... Spirit! And in the next scene he has a heart-to-heart conversation with Jay Ferguson! Weird."

you nailed it.  very existential, French New Wave feel.   

a couple self-reflexive moments:
  • Anouk shows Gary her photo album back at her bachelorette pad (I love the sprinkling of psychedelic posters on the  walls of characters' homes) and there's one photo of her from the movie Lola, which she starred in -- and which Demy also directed -- in 1961.  In fact, she plays the same characcter, Lola, in this movie and refers to her past as a dancer and "not very good" singer.
  • Gary calls his parents from the offices of the hippie newspaper, and there's a photo of nouvelle vague icon Jean Paul Belmondo on the wall near the pay phone.

It's a slow moving movie, not much happens, which is like the main characters' lives, they are searching for some movement -- but the shots of LA, specifically around and along Santa Monica Blvd, are pretty fun. 

Did you notice Fred Willard as the gas station attendant about two thirds of the way in?  his role was uncredited, and I think his voice was dubbed. 

I was hoping Spirit would play some on-screen songs, but the best we get is a brief scene of the band putting down their instruments after a practice session.  They say hello to Gary and then the band shuffles out of the house.  Randy California (guitar) was probably 17 when they filmed this! 

Then Gary sits down with Jay, who plays a little electric piano ditty (which I was trying to identify as a Spirit song, and perhaps it was a riff from Fresh Garbage??) and he lends Gary $100 (two fifty dollar bills he peels out of his wallet) and says somethig like Hey, no problem, man. The band is doing well. We're really taking off." 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:08:42 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: December 03, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
Watching Big-Top PeeWee -- first time I've seen it in ages. Even more delightful than I remembered.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: December 06, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
A holiday movie tip: Rare Exports, the wacked-out Scandinavian Xmas horror flick I raved about last year, is now on the Comcast Video-On-Demand menu. Not to be missed, assuming you have a sick sense of humor (and ah KNOW y'alls do).

it will also play Dec 23 at 10:30 pm at the SF Film Society Cinema on Post St in J-town

http://www.sffs.org/content.aspx?catid=928,942&pageid=2603
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: December 13, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
catching up:

Last nite I saw The Artist, the French, black-&-white silent film about... silent films (or Hollywood during that era).  And it's very enjoyable, an extremely clever, well-made cinematic stunt.  But kinda slight.  As valentines-to-film go, I still prefer Hugo.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
last nite I saw Young Adult, the latest Diablo Cody/Jason Reitman collab -- loved it. Very funny and dark -- Charlize Theron great as usual and Patton Oswalt steals the show.  Plus the first of what I assume will be many retro-'90s soundtracks. Teenage Fanclub!  Well worth your time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Just came from seeing Shame, with Michael "donkey dick" Fassbender. Wow.  I loves me some NC-17.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
Just came from seeing Shame, with Michael "donkey dick" Fassbender. Wow.  I loves me some NC-17.

OMG jealous!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

OMG jealous!

:)  It's actually a good movie, aside from the sex. Carey Mulligan does the damndest version of "New York New York".