Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499923 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1890 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
Just got home from seeing Crazy, Stupid, Love (yes, that's their punctuation). Dunno what took me so long, but it's very funny, pretty smart for a commercial, big-studio rom-com, and Ryan Gosling is awesome. But really, everyone in it does fine work. Same directing team as the wonderful, underseen I Love You Philip Morris -- can't wait to see what they do next.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 05, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
Doubleheader today: The Help and Our Idiot Brother.

The Help is an entertaining... sometimes moving... Hallmark Chammel movie. But Viola Davis is sublime and deserves every award/nomination she's gonna get in the next 6 months.

Ah, but Idiot Brother: I (heart) Paul Rudd and he's wonderful. Delightful and very funny. Gaz especially would love it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 06, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
wow, yet another very cool-looking '60s/'70s retro-documentary: The Black Power Mixtape.  Will be available via On-Demand later this month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/movies/the-black-power-mixtape-1967-1975-temperate-militants.html?_r=1&ref=movies

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 08, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »
Saw a wonderful film last nite that few people will see, probably: Higher Ground, with the great Vera Farmiga, who is also making her directing debut.  It's based on a memoir and is a rare even-handed film about faith. Farmiga's character spends her life exploring fundamentalist Christianity and suddenly hits a kind of wall as her marriage falters. Even as an atheist, I was moved by her plight and it's really a very impressive piece of work.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
I know anything from the Adam Sandler factory is probably gonna suck, but still I'm stunned by how mind-numbingly awful Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star looks. Easily the worst TV spots for a movie I've ever seen... and they seem to run on Comedy Central at every friggin' break.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
Cheeze Alert:  Tonite TCM is showing a double bill... @ 11:00 it's Breakin' -- ain't not stoppin' us! -- followed @ 12:30 by the skate-tastic goodness of Roller Boogie!  Linda Blair was never lovelier.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:10:54 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 14, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
I know anything from the Adam Sandler factory is probably gonna suck, but still I'm stunned by how mind-numbingly awful Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star looks. Easily the worst TV spots for a movie I've ever seen... and they seem to run on Comedy Central at every friggin' break.

Reviews are finally coming in, and they aint good.  As the guy from the NY Times says:

Let me put the matter another way: this may be the worst movie Pauly Shore has ever been in. Think about that.

Ouch.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 14, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

Reviews are finally coming in, and they aint good.  As the guy from the NY Times says:

Let me put the matter another way: this may be the worst movie Pauly Shore has ever been in. Think about that.

Ouch.

Would the best Pauly Shore movie be a bit like the most passionate matchbox twenty song?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 14, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »

Reviews are finally coming in, and they aint good.  As the guy from the NY Times says:

Ouch.

Would the best Pauly Shore movie be a bit like the most passionate matchbox twenty song?
Pauly Shore?  Eek.  Oh, here's something that's funny - Brad Pitt's vintage Pringles commercial.  (BTW: I heart Pringles!)  Nice cars, too.  I see suicide doors, so my guess is that's an old Continental?  Paging Wayback...
http://www.evilbeetgossip.com/2011/09/14/brad-pitt-should-really-do-more-commercials/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:13:38 PM by sundaygal »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I've only attended one movie at the theatre this year so far ("The Trip"), but I'm seriously contemplating "Moneyball". Should be interesting.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
Oh, here's something that's funny - Brad Pitt's vintage Pringles commercial.  (BTW: I heart Pringles!)  Nice cars, too.  I see suicide doors, so my guess is that's an old Continental?  Paging Wayback...
http://www.evilbeetgossip.com/2011/09/14/brad-pitt-should-really-do-more-commercials/
Yes, a '60s yellow Continental in the Pringles ad, and a '63 or '64 Ford Galaxie convertible in the Levi's spot.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 14, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
I've only attended one movie at the theatre this year so far ("The Trip"), but I'm seriously contemplating "Moneyball". Should be interesting.
The "Moneyball" premiere is Monday Sept 19 6PM at the Paramount in Oakland, if you wanna meet Brad Pitt and the cast:
http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »

It's getting great reviews. "it's the Social Network of baseball movies!"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
Ok, it's decided. I'm watching "Moneyball" tomorrow, and hopefully it will be "The Social Network of Baseball Movies".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Ok, it's decided. I'm watching "Moneyball" tomorrow, and hopefully it will be "The Social Network of Baseball Movies".

Def seeing it this weekend. But I've a language question: for decades, people "saw" movies ("I'm going to see Jaws") and "watched" TV ("I watched Family Ties last nite"). In the last 10 years I hear younger people who've just been to a movie theater say "We watched Captain America tonite". And it grates on my ear because it just sounds wrong. But I guess in the DVD/download age the usage has changed.

Still sounds weird to me.

Moneyball has a 90 on RT and an 85 on Metacritic
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:57:58 AM by RGMike »