Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499317 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1875 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
er... TWO Jeff Buckley biopics?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/reeve-carney-to-play-jeff-buckley-in-biographical-film/

speaking of, whatever became of those 2 dueling Marvin Gaye biopics?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:53:54 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »
Saw The Help today. I hate that movies always seem to make me cry. I laughed, I cried. Enjoyed.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 18, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
Since the new Conan flick is getting trashed from coast-to-coast, I half-expected Mick laSalle to do his contrarian (Conan-trarian?) thing and rave about it, but even he hated it. And I'll admit this is one of his funnier bits of writing in a while:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/18/DD7T1KOEIH.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 19, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
Since the new Conan flick is getting trashed from coast-to-coast, I half-expected Mick laSalle to do his contrarian (Conan-trarian?) thing and rave about it, but even he hated it. And I'll admit this is one of his funnier bits of writing in a while:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/18/DD7T1KOEIH.DTL

But lest you think Mick has somehow regained his sanity, check out the reviews for the new Anne Hathaway romance One Day...

Salon.com: "an appallingly bad movie made by talented people who could and should have done much better, but somehow all drove off the cliff together"

Boston Globe: "miscast, underwritten, drably directed adaptation of a very popular novel, it's the feel-bad film of the summer and an almost perfect example of how not to turn a book into a movie"

Rolling Stone: "This tear-jerking twaddle, adapted by David Nicholls from his 2009 bestseller, is nearly as bad as Anne Hathaway's British accent, which is heading for infamy." (BTW, Peter Travers goes out of his way to like almost everything)

ah, but then there's our Mick: "a beautiful movie, but beautiful in a way that life often is, not movies. Nothing is sudden or easy, either for the characters or for the audience, and there are no thunderbolts from the blue. Rather, the film achieves its effects and builds toward a wealth of feeling through an accumulation of seemingly day-to-day incidents, presented over the course of years. We meet two people, and with time and maturity, the towering consequence of their relationship reveals itself..."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
Finally saw Rise/Planet/Apes and damn, it's really great. Cleverly thought-out and very well-put-together -- a tight 100 minutes, unlike some bloated summmer blockbusters I could name.  So often a young director makes an acclaimed, little-seen indie and then H'wood signs him up to make some tentpole/reboot/CGI crapfest and he takes the money and runs. This guy, Rupert Wyatt, made a liitle movie called The Escapist a few years ago and now he's done this and I can't wait to see what he does next. 

How this movie opened with no buzz is beyond me. Why was FOX afraid to show it to anybody? WTF?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:21:17 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 28, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
OMGWTF: the FLIX channel is showing a Jim Henson double feature as we speak: Dark Crystal followed by Labyrynth. Bowie as Queen King Goblin. Bwahahaha!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: August 28, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »
jeezus, channel 32 dredges up some seriously awful crap for their Sun nite movie slot, but tonite takes the cake: Blood Song, a 1982 low-budget shocker with Frankie Avalon as an axe murderer (!) and featuring an original song by Lainie Kazan (!!).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:12:59 PM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:49 PM »
hush now baby baby don'tchoo cryyyyy

The Wall is playing on Palladia.  Damn this is a creepy movie.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1883 on: August 28, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »

no shit, I had to turn the channel.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1884 on: August 28, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »

no shit, I had to turn the channel.
turned the channel to Hendrix at Woodstock on KCSM
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: August 29, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: August 29, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
Finally saw Rise/Planet/Apes and damn, it's really great. Cleverly thought-out and very well-put-together -- a tight 100 minutes, unlike some bloated summmer blockbusters I could name.  So often a young director makes an acclaimed, little-seen indie and then H'wood signs him up to make some tentpole/reboot/CGI crapfest and he takes the money and runs. This guy, Rupert Wyatt, made a liitle movie called The Escapist a few years ago and now he's done this and I can't wait to see what he does next. 

How this movie opened with no buzz is beyond me. Why was FOX afraid to show it to anybody? WTF?

I liked it, too.  Andy Serkis who did the motion acting for our protagonist, did a great job (as did the CGI techies to make Serkis' chimp emotionally appealing.)  Sure, there were cardboard characterizations, (Franco's vet girlfriend, the Malfoy actor at the Primate facility) but it worked emotionally on me.

One flaw: there were no bikes on the GG Bridge.  Everything else is completely plausible.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »

I liked it, too.  Andy Serkis who did the motion acting for our protagonist, did a great job (as did the CGI techies to make Serkis' chimp emotionally appealing.)  Sure, there were cardboard characterizations, (Franco's vet girlfriend, the Malfoy actor at the Primate facility) but it worked emotionally on me.

One flaw: there were no bikes on the GG Bridge.  Everything else is completely plausible.

the question is: where do they take the sequel? I assume it'll be set at some time *after* humanity dies off ('cause who wants to watch 2 hours of people coughing up blood?). Like, when the Apes take over and perhaps a small band of virus-resistant humans are living in underground bunkers. or something.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »

the question is: where do they take the sequel? I assume it'll be set at some time *after* humanity dies off ('cause who wants to watch 2 hours of people coughing up blood?). Like, when the Apes take over and perhaps a small band of virus-resistant humans are living in underground bunkers. or something.

Apes' rise to real power will include clashes with fractious ape splinter groups, known as the Banana Party, which will hold rallies and offer candidates who don't believe they really descended from Apes.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 03, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »
Just watched (via On-Demand; it is also in theaters) Magic Trip, the docu about the Ken Kesey/Merry Pranksters bus trip across the US in 1964. Wow. What an amazing historical document.  Hey Geoff: cameo appearance by the Dead!