Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499924 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1815 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Japanese monster nite on TCM: Rodan, Ghidrah and Godzilla vs Monster Zero. Tokyo is in ruins!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
On TCM at this hour: High Society -- in case you'd like to see if the Crosby/Sinatra version of "Well Did You EVAH?" is better than the Iggy Pop/Debbie Harry take.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1817 on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
Just saw Bridesmaids -- damn, it's hilarious. Kudos to everyone, but Kristen Wiig (who stars and co-wrote) RULES. And I'll never say anything bad about Wilson-Phillips ever again.

We just saw it tonight, and must report that the old folks dug it too!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
Just saw Bridesmaids -- damn, it's hilarious. Kudos to everyone, but Kristen Wiig (who stars and co-wrote) RULES. And I'll never say anything bad about Wilson-Phillips ever again.

We just saw it tonight, and must report that the old folks dug it too!

I love Kristen Wiig.  She can be my Target Lady any time.  And I heard that even Maya Rudolph is acceptable in this.   

========================================

Note: Special offer for Visa Signature Card holders!

2 for 1 tickets any movie on Fridays through July. Must be purchased on a Friday and used the same day. While supplies last.

Available for purchase on Fridays only at fandango.com/visasignature

Varies by theater. Up to a $19 value limit per ticket.

Movies are always better with a friend, so treat yours to 2 for 1 movie tickets available exclusively through fandango.com/visasignature for Visa Signature cardholders.

2 for 1 tickets must be purchased on a Friday and used the same day. One offer per card per month. Offer valid for a limited time and while supplies last.

* One complimentary movie ticket (up to $19 per ticket) with the purchase of at least one movie ticket with a valid U.S. issued Visa Signature card
    * Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
    * Limit one complimentary ticket purchase per cardholder per month

more info:  http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa-signature/detail/vro_eventsDetails.jsp?eventId=33269&pageId=15624&signatureFlag=6
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:06:50 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 04, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
Guilty pleasure of the week:  The Green Berets.

I watched half last night, finished it off tonight.  On Demand, the Preferred Collection (which has a bunch of free movies, and kind of rocks).

Yes, it is an awful, awful movie.  Bad acting, bad directing, and the worst kind of right-wing propaganda.  But it is funny as hell.  Hella funny.  OMG funny.

What I want to do is do a mash up of The Green Berets, Apocalypse Now, Star Trek (George Takei is awesomely awsome in TGB) and Barney Miller (Jack Soo too).  I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but in the end, Martin Sheen would kill John Wayne.

BTW, I finally got my wireless going at home, so I'm likely to be much more active on my computer in the evenings from now on.  Fair warning.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 04, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »

I remember seeing it in a theater when I was, like, 14. The bit about Viet hookers putting razors in their pussy was pretty mind-blowing to a 14-year-old.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1821 on: June 04, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

I remember seeing it in a theater when I was, like, 14. The bit about Viet hookers putting razors in their pussy was pretty mind-blowing to a 14-year-old.

ewww!

TMI!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

Uh, I think you might be remembering a different movie.  The movie is graphic to a point, but they kept it pretty clean too...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 06, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
Meant to mention I watched Gnomeo & Juliet on PPV sat nite. It was... cute. Lots of bright colors. And Sir Elton's catalog gets quite the workout.  But boy am I glad I didn't pay 15 bucks to see it in 3-D.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 06, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 06, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
No TEXTING, bitch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs&feature=player_embedded

that's pretty funny, but she also sounded tipsy on that recorded message.  Lesson number two: Don't drink and dial!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 07, 2011, 07:38:03 AM »
Saw Midnight in Paris last evening, and it's as good as you've heard. The best Mr Allen has done in a few years at least and Owen Wilson is Woody's best surrogate since John Cusack in Bullets Over B'way.  Unlike that horrid Anything Else in 2003 where Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci sit around talking about Billie Holiday (as if she's still as popular with twentysomethings as Beyonce), Wilson, whose character is a writer, is actually believable as someone who reveres Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Nice work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:00:15 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
Saw Midnight in Paris last evening, and it's as good as you've heard. The best Mr Allen has done in a few years at least and Owen Wilson is Woody's best surrogate since John Cusack in Bullets Over B'way.  Unlike that horrid Anything Else in 2003 where Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci sit around talking about Billie Holiday (as if she's still as popular with twentysomethings as Beyonce), Wilson, whose character is a writer, is actually believable as someone who reveres Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Nice work.

heh, I almost went myself.  I might go tonight to see that or Terence Malick's Tree Of Life

last night I saw Playtime at the Castro.  It's playing again tonight as part of a mini-70mm festival.  Coming up is  Vertigo, Lawrence of ArabiaWest Side Story already finished its two-day run.

http://www.castrotheatre.com/p-list.html#jun05
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 08, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
So, I was gonna post in another thread that Alec Baldwin is considering a run for Mayor of NYC, now that Mr Weiner's hopes have been (pink) torpedoed.  But the article on HuffPo mentions, almost as an afterthought, that he's starring on the film adaptation of the B'way hair-band musical Rock of Ages (!)  Why did I not know about this??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/31/alec-baldwin-in-rock-of-ages-photo_n_869200.html

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
Saw Tree of Life last night.  It's a very ambitious movie, and challenging.  I think Mick LaSalle said of it that it comes close to showing on screen how memory works. That's debatable  -- my memories were never in such detailed and clear expansive visuals, mine often play out more like scratchy fuzzy super-8 clips -- but it does illuminate the non-narrative aspect of the movie.  If you're expecting a plot-driven ride, go elsewhere.  This is largely dark and very tense at times when it focuses on the main character's unsettling recollections.  Large portions are devoted to seemingly tangential forays into cosmological- or molecular-level displays that might come off as laughable if you're not in the mood.  Likewise with the  occasional disconnected and ponderous voiceover clips that play out from the main character's consciousness.   Parts of the movie are also tedious, perhaps like some well-worn memories we'd rather not see again?

It will stick with me: it's powerful, but I can't say it was completely enjoyable... nevertheless I give it two gerbils up!
~CPL593H~