Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499806 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1770 on: February 27, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
And for those watching the Oscars tonite... I'll be doing my snarky thang on FB. (No more double-posting.) Join me -- and don't be afraid to be rude! Hey, it's working for Charlie Sheen...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 08, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Hilarious post from a movie blog, re: the upcoming Pixar sequel to Cars:

I've never seen a frame of any Pixar movie, but the main thing I remember about CARS is that somehow it gave a second lease on life to that idiotic LIFE IS A HIGHWAY song by Tom Cochrane that was a massive unavoidable radio hit my first year of college. One of those one-hit wonders that's everywhere for six months, never to be heard from again. Then lo and behold, 14 years later with it blissfully out of mind for the entire planet, it's back in every TV spot for CARS, and I couldn't BELIEVE someone would subject us to that hideous racket again. Then I find out it wasn't even the original, but a 100% soundalike cover that became a MASSIVE hit (Rascal Flatts) anew, and has a whole generation of kids thinking it was an original.

So fingers crossed that Big and Rich can do a pitch-perfect cover of White Town's "Your Woman" or Shawn Mullins' "Rockabye" for the sequel.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
Nice piece in today's Chron, an interview with Phil Ochs' daughter. The docu about him plays at the Balboa starting next Friday (3/18).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/11/MVDP1I6FA5.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 12, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
a docu about the heyday of the legendary club The Troubador in LA -- currently playing in NYC but will turn up on PBS in March:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/movies/02troub.html?ref=movies

and lo, this docu is showing on KQED at this very moment.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
a docu about the heyday of the legendary club The Troubador in LA -- currently playing in NYC but will turn up on PBS in March:

Crap. OPB showed this last week. Missed it, dammit.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »

Crap. OPB showed this last week. Missed it, dammit.

It's pledge-drive season -- it'll be rerun ad infinitum.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1776 on: March 16, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
Martha and I attended a free screening (facebook link) of The Music Never Stopped tonight. It was at times funny, tear-inducing, and quite touching.  I'm sure some of you would enjoy it, but I would hesitate to recommend it to the, er how you say, non-aligned among us.  You never know.  Part of the whole thing is that we all have our own personal memories connected to specific music.  I wonder how my kids would react.

IMDB link

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »
Martha and I attended a free screening (facebook link) of The Music Never Stopped tonight. It was at times funny, tear-inducing, and quite touching.  I'm sure some of you would enjoy it, but I would hesitate to recommend it to the, er how you say, non-aligned among us.  You never know.  Part of the whole thing is that we all have our own personal memories connected to specific music.  I wonder how my kids would react.

and don't forget the Phil Ochs docu at the Balboa starting tomorrow.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »

IMDB link

OK. You said tear inducing. I welled up watching the preview. Memory loss is troubling me now. Not me yet but MIL with severe Alz/dementia and my Dad after having a brain tumor removed in December just had an episode of seizures two days ago and I took him home from the hospital yesterday. He is not back to his mentally sharp self yet. Troubling. I am seeing my Dad slip away slowly.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 17, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »

and don't forget the Phil Ochs docu at the Balboa starting tomorrow.
yes, I need to carve out some time for that too.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 17, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »

IMDB link
OK. You said tear inducing. I welled up watching the preview. Memory loss is troubling me now. Not me yet but MIL with severe Alz/dementia and my Dad after having a brain tumor removed in December just had an episode of seizures two days ago and I took him home from the hospital yesterday. He is not back to his mentally sharp self yet. Troubling. I am seeing my Dad slip away slowly.

Well, it continues to resonate for me a day after seeing it, and I'm torn between identifying with the father and the son.  Certainly, now that I'm 60, I relate to much of what the father character goes through, but at the same time, I'm the same age (born around the same time) as the son.  I am the deadhead, and my dad wasn't.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 21, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »

When movies ruin great songs

From "Forrest Gump" to "Garden State," the films (and one TV show) that mutilate the music we love

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/film_salon/2011/03/18/songs_ruined_by_movies/slideshow.html
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Bad reviews are so much more fun to read than raves. Case in point: AO Scott's pan of Sucker Punch. (No surprise, it looks godawful to me)

"You could go to see Sucker Punch this weekend — a lot of people probably will, and a few may even admit as much back at the office on Monday — or you could try to make it yourself, which might be more fun, though not necessarily cheaper. Here’s what you will need: a bunch of video-game platforms; DVDs of Shutter Island, Kill Bill, Burlesque and Shrek; some back issues of Maxim; a large bag of crystal meth; and around $100 million. Your imagination will take care of the rest."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 06, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
I don't see many trailers for comedies these days that actually make me want to see the movie, but this looks pretty funny to me. Damn, that Julianne Moore cheats in every movie lately!  Bonus: it's directed by the guys who did I Love You Phillip Morris, one of my favorite underseen flicks of the past year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCibwSV1ts

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
I don't see many trailers for comedies these days that actually make me want to see the movie, but this looks pretty funny to me. Damn, that Julianne Moore cheats in every movie lately!  Bonus: it's directed by the guys who did I Love You Phillip Morris, one of my favorite underseen flicks of the past year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCibwSV1ts

That didn't last long--the clip has been pulled due to Warner's copyright claim. So what movie were you referring to? You didn't mention the title.
Let's get right to it.