Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499951 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1725 on: January 01, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
Saw True Grit tonight.  It's pretty dang good.  Powerful.   I don't always like the Coen brothers, but in this one they don't get too hysterical with the camera athletics, which is nice.  I like a good 8 minute tracking shot as much as anyone (oh, wait, that's from Touch of Evil) but they tell the story fairly straight, visually.    (I do wish there were more extreme long shots of landscapes, a la John Ford in his Monument Valley epics).  I love westerns.  The girl was really good.  The dialog is dense and florid at times, but certainly seeming from the period, sort of like how Deadwood came across, if you're familiar with that HBO series.  Listen closely, there's some good lines in there.  "He has overrun the banks of English" someone says of someone else who pontificates.

I don't recall much about John Wayne's version, but I do know they replicated the final shootout-on-horseback scene where Rooster takes the reins in his teeth and has guns a-blazin' on both hands.

The song over the closing credits was by Iris DeMent, whom I saw at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass a couple years back, where she was fantastic. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:50:02 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 01, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
Saw True Grit tonight.  It's pretty dang good.  Powerful.   I don't always like the Coen brothers, but in this one they don't get too hysterical with the camera athletics, which is nice.  I like a good 8 minute tracking shot as much as anyone (oh, wait, that's from Touch of Evil) but they tell the story fairly straight, visually.    (I do wish there were more extreme long shots of landscapes, a la John Ford in his Monument Valley epics).  I love westerns.  The girl was really good.  The dialog is dense and florid at times, but certainly seeming from the period, sort of like how Deadwood came across, if you're familiar with that HBO series.  Listen closely, there's some good lines in there.  "He has overrun the banks of English" someone says of someone else who pontificates.

I enjoyed it too, tho' I think Bridges was trying a little too hard not to be John Wayne (as well as not wanting to repeat his Crazy Heart drunk, either). Definitely the most conventional flick the Coens have made, and I *am* a big fan of theirs.

Also saw Rabbit Hole and Somewhere and liked both; Nicole Kidman is very good in the former (as are Aaron Eckhart and Dianne Wiest) and I didn't have any problem with Kidman's allegedly creepy forehead.  Somewhere is one of those Antonioni-esque flicks about ennui; not much happens in it, but (speaking of little-girl actors) Elle Fanning (Dakota's li'l sis) is quite excellent.

And TC, your Thatcher/Sheen side-by-side was genius. Same teeth!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:27:04 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 02, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
Finally saw TRON: Legacy and it was just as I expected: fabulous eye-candy, not much of a script. Loved Michael Sheen.  Saw it at the Castro; their digital projection was crystal-clear and 12 bucks for 3-D is pretty cheap compared to Metreon.  Did anyone else notice that the actor who played Sam looks a lot like Buster Posey?

Meanwhile: alert the princess! The Streep to play Margaret Thatcher!

http://movies.gearlive.com/movies/article/q107-meryl-streep-to-play-margaret-thatcher-in-new-biopic/

WTF is with movie prices?  I saw Tron in the Metreon Imax 3D theater and tickets were $18.  Good thing we had a coupon that took $3.50 off each ticket.  Geebus!  as for the movie, I agree, good eye candy: I wish there was more light cycle scenes and gaming in general.  Imax is cool, huge screen, but it wasn't necessary.  Many scenes weren't in 3D, too.   

I didn't recognize Michael Sheen at first -- I was thinking that maybe it was Simon Pegg. 

Streep as Margaret Thatcher?   I think Micheal Sheen would do a better job.  Tell me they don't look alike...!

and you're right about Sam/Buster Posey. 

OMG: just saw this Assmussen bit from Friday -- TRON = MUNI. Just freakin' brilliant!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/31/DDASMUSSENBR.DTL

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:23 AM »

I don't recall much about John Wayne's version, but I do know they replicated the final shootout-on-horseback scene where Rooster takes the reins in his teeth and has guns a-blazin' on both hands.

It was almost a scene for scene replication of the first film, as far as what happens.  Different feel, and slight differences here and there, but almost identical (the biggest difference is LaBeouf's final disposition).  So, I found it surprising that the first film didn't truly stray from the novel.

I enjoyed this one a lot, but couldn't help but feel it was a bit unneccesary.  Or that I have seen the Duke's version a few too many times.  Good, or great, performances all around.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
For those of us who are Phil Ochs fans (and those who need to be introduced to his brilliance), a new docu getting raves:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/movies/05phil.html?ref=movies&pagewanted=1

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1730 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
For those of us who are Phil Ochs fans (and those who need to be introduced to his brilliance), a new docu getting raves:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/movies/05phil.html?ref=movies&pagewanted=1
please post if it plays here.  I really loved Phil Ochs, and even wrote my own new verse for There But For Fortune!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Now this is my kinda flick:  Willem Dafoe as the owner of a strip club; Bob Hoskins as his manager; Sylvia Miles as their landlady... directed by Abel (Bad Lieutenant) Ferrara.  Cheese Louise, why was this never released?

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/movies/07gogo.html?ref=movies

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 06, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
Please rank these - either in your preferred order or the presumed order of a pop culture vulture with escapist tastes:

True Grit
I Love You Phillip Morris
Tron: Legacy
Black Swan
How Do You Know

Merci buckets, from someone who's considering actually seeing a film this weekend.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
Please rank these - either in your preferred order or the presumed order of a pop culture vulture with escapist tastes:

True Grit
I Love You Phillip Morris
Tron: Legacy
Black Swan
How Do You Know

Merci buckets, from someone who's considering actually seeing a film this weekend.

ILY Phillip Morris -- really worth seeing from a gay perspective, and I'm not the biggest Jim Carrey fan.
Black Swan -- I was very entertained but I'm kinda baffled by the OMG! reviews. A horror movie with a PhD.
True Grit. -- see discussion in this thread.
Tron -- great visuals, crappy script. If Michael Sheen isn't auditioning for a Bowie biopic during his brief appearance, then I just don't know.
How Do You Know -- I loves me some Paul Rudd but boy is this thing a dud. Painful.

I also HIGHLY recommend The Fighter and (if you're looking for misery and depression) Rabbit Hole. No interest in the Phil Ochs docu?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:57:24 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
No interest in the Phil Ochs docu?

The story of Phil Ochs depresses me like almost no other.  I'm not sure I could bear it.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 06, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
No interest in the Phil Ochs docu?

The story of Phil Ochs depresses me like almost no other.  I'm not sure I could bear it.

Understandable, and probably why the planned biopic never got off the ground.  Sean Penn wanted to play him -- 20 years ago -- and would've been perfect, I think

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 07, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 13, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
In his surprisingly positive review of The Dilemma (surprising because it's at 24% on Rotten Tomatoes), the NYT's AO Scott nonetheless gets in this zinger at the expense of Vince Vaughn's expanse -- Vaughn is paired with the petite Jennifer Connelly:

"To ask if Mr. Vaughn and Ms. Connelly have any chemistry is to invoke the wrong science; extreme disparities of size and shape suggest, instead, a fascinating problem of zoology, as if a whippet had decided to cohabit with a yak"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
... at the expense of Vince Vaughn's expanse -- Vaughn is paired with the petite Jennifer Connelly:

nice.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
TCM is showing Camelot at the moment. Vanessa Redgrave was quite hot in 1967.