Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499971 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1650 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
A great quote from a movie-blog poster in re: Julia Roberts (on the occasion of Eat Pray Love opening next week):

Ever notice Julia Roberts is one of those women that WOMEN think is beautiful, but NO GUY EVER has EVER found attractive? She's not unattractive, she's actually beautiful if we're speaking technically... but ZERO appeal to any straight guy ever. Have never, ever met a dude with a thing for Julia Roberts. But TOTALLY the one, maybe the only one, chick who every guy's mom or crazy aunt is, "Julia Roberts is the prettiest woman in movies." I don't get it.

I LOL'ed at this, since I've always said something similar -- Julia has always looked to me like her brother Eric in drag. Discuss!

I agree.  I think she acts like she knows at least half the population thinks she's "...the prettiest woman in movies."   I also don't like Julianne Moore for similar reasons.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
A great quote from a movie-blog poster in re: Julia Roberts (on the occasion of Eat Pray Love opening next week):

Ever notice Julia Roberts is one of those women that WOMEN think is beautiful, but NO GUY EVER has EVER found attractive? She's not unattractive, she's actually beautiful if we're speaking technically... but ZERO appeal to any straight guy ever. Have never, ever met a dude with a thing for Julia Roberts. But TOTALLY the one, maybe the only one, chick who every guy's mom or crazy aunt is, "Julia Roberts is the prettiest woman in movies." I don't get it.

I LOL'ed at this, since I've always said something similar -- Julia has always looked to me like her brother Eric in drag. Discuss!

I agree.  I think she acts like she knows at least half the population thinks she's "...the prettiest woman in movies."   I also don't like Julianne Moore for similar reasons.

Apropos of the above, this very funny "if you're a man, see Expendables, not Eat Pray Love" trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZTgUxVa28&feature=player_embedded
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
If you have IFC on your cable system, tonite at 8:30 they're showing the original The Inglorious Bastards from 1978, with Fred Williamson -- yes, the cheezy action flick that inspired Tarantino to make his Inglourious Basterds.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 07, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
Standard British coming-of-age stuff, but this one takes place in the early-'70s UK Northern Soul dance scene.  Killer soundtrack, needless to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_6NS_lLgis

Lord knows if it will ever get a US release.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22:53 AM »

Here's an unretouched studio shot of Julia:

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 08, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Standard British coming-of-age stuff, but this one takes place in the early-'70s UK Northern Soul dance scene.  Killer soundtrack, needless to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_6NS_lLgis

Lord knows if it will ever get a US release.

Thanks for posting this one, RG!  Gonna look out for this one.  Yes!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »
Coen Bros and Zhang Yimou fans unite!  Zhang has remade Blood Simple as a Chinese period piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGBQDpfLnc&feature=player_embedded

Damn, I can't wait to see this one!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 15, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
Just got home from seeing Inception, and decided to check in here to see what y'all had said about it. And am surprised that there's been precious little mention of it at all. Or did I miss something? Anyway, I really loved it. Very engaging sci-fi thriller--I was on the edge of my seat for nearly the entire film. Even Ellen Page was good in a part that was as far from her Juno role as it could be. Thoughts?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 16, 2010, 07:39:42 AM »
Just got home from seeing Inception, and decided to check in here to see what y'all had said about it. And am surprised that there's been precious little mention of it at all. Or did I miss something? Anyway, I really loved it. Very engaging sci-fi thriller--I was on the edge of my seat for nearly the entire film. Even Ellen Page was good in a part that was as far from her Juno role as it could be. Thoughts?

have not seen it yet -- a 2-1/2 hour movie is something I have to make time for on the weekend, and so far I haven't been able to work it in. Also, I've been told to see it in IMAX so I've been waiting for the crowds to die down a bit.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 17, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 17, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
Saw Toy Story the other day. (Late, I know.) And the final verdict...

...C-, and the only reason it's that high is because of the animation.  Otherwise it would be two full grades lower.  Worst movie I've seen in the past year (not counting a few bloopers from the Asian American Film Fest) and perhaps the biggest disappointment of all time to me.

I usually adore this type of movie (LOVED How to Train Your Dragon and I even liked Shrek 4, which was even more of an unnecessary sequel than TS3).  But ugh.  It just totally rubbed me the wrong way.

The good: The animation was brilliant.  TS1 and TS2, as long as they didn't fudge anything up, would have wow'd because the animation was then cutting edge, but this took it to a whole new level.

The bad: This was cancelled out by having a worse story line than that "Godzilla" movie a few years back.  

SPOILER ALERTS

Too many inconsistencies; the thing I really liked about the first two TS is that every time a human comes into the room - the toys rearrange themselves right back to where they left them.   This one ripped that to shreds.  The issue of how the toys "officially" got back to Andy was never resolved and then when Woody writes a note telling him to donate the toys to that girl, and then Woody himself jumping in that box -- totally fudged up the meaning of the series.  And put a completely misplaced tearjerking scene in.

There were were so many things here that didn't belong in a G-rated movie either.  Don't get me wrong; I'm no puritan but it was incredibly disturbing to see a bunch of these things in a movie about kids' toys, aimed for kids.  First, there's Barbie and Ken.  That's ok, but right when they meet Ken asks Barbie if she wants to spend the night in his dreamhouse and then the rest of the toys cheer her on!  This is just so akin to college frat boys/sorrority girls trying to get their bro/sis a "Score."  Then Barbie saying "nice ascot" - seriously, she might as well have just said "nice ass" and it would have been the same.

The bear's a sociopath too - kids don't need to see that and to top it off everything having to do with the bear was portrayed so badly.  If the rest of the toys were trying to get on his good side, for instance, it didn't help that Woody seemed to rub it because he kept on rubbing it in to the bear "you got replaced!"  And then when Woody saves him from the dumpster at the end - WTF!!! The bear tried to kill him!!! You do NOT save people who try to kill you - that's irresponsible AND dangerous!

Finally, the scene where the toys were about to burn to their fiery deaths -- that didn't belong in a kids movie either.

I also felt disgusted at the toys being covered in garbage and then simply washed themselves off as if nothing had happened and going back to Andy.  They're still going to bring so many germs back to the owner -- seriously if I found out my toys did had been there I'd just throw them all away.

And then a few things happened that just didn't make a lot of sense.  The girl already has her set of toys, she didn't need to acquire a whole new set of them.  (And the toys are going to have the same problem in another 10 years or so.)

Woody, when explaining to the girls' toys how he "escaped" from the nursery, puts on the most generic arrogant face, which was just completely unncessary and by this point overdone. (Hiccup in 'Dragon' was like this, and it was equally annoying but understandable as it was integral to his character.  It's not to Woody's so there was no reason for him to act like that.)

A few things about the story that I can appreciate:
The girl's toys, when hearing that Woody already has an owner, helped him locate him.
and the Barbie and Ken scene, despite the above caveats, was probably the most well-done of the character dynamics in the movie.

Worst of all, although this isn't something I can really take off for, now the market is once again going to be flooded with a bunch of ugly toys - most notably Woody and Buzz Lightyear.  They were ok in the movie as generic toys but they don't need to be real.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 17, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »
Wow, r-347...  I think you're over-thinking things a tad. ;)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 18, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
It was Paul Newman Day on TCM, and I just watched Cool Hand Luke, which (amazingly) I'd never seen in its entirety.  Great film, of course, but amazing how many famous faces in small supporting roles: Harry Dean Stanton, Dennis Hopper, Joe Don Baker, a pre-M*A*S*H Wayne Rogers and a pre-Waltons Ralph Waite. And another great Lalo Schifrin score -- I'd forgotten that a piece of it (from the road-paving scene) later became famous on ABC-TV local affiliates in NYC, LA & Chicago as the "Eyewitness News" theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXjofHL0t1A&feature=related