Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499489 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1515 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
It's ghoulish, but I watched the Oscars' In Memorium sequence mostly to see who would be the biggest applause-getter.  I consider it a minor upset that Karl Malden was the crowd favorite.  I'd have bet on Michael Jackson.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 07, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
It's ghoulish, but I watched the Oscars' In Memorium sequence mostly to see who would be the biggest applause-getter.  I consider it a minor upset that Karl Malden was the crowd favorite.  I'd have bet on Michael Jackson.

I've said this on FB tonite, but the MJ reaction was oddly subdued. But then, he didn't make a whole lot of movies...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »

I've said this on FB tonite, but the MJ reaction was oddly subdued. But then, he didn't make a whole lot of movies...

right, I think he made one movie (The Wiz) and one movie-like video (Thriller).  No Farrah Fawcett either, but I don't think she made any released (aka Hollywood) movies.

For the record, I thought the dancing was really fun, but had nothing to do w the movies in question, or movies in general, for that matter.  How can break dancers and a dude doing the Robot mean anything to the movie "Up"?  it's like way to Pop and (Sher)Lock, Holmes!
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 07, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »

No Farrah Fawcett either, but I don't think she made any released (aka Hollywood) movies.

What about Logan's Run?

I thought the Oscar's were better this year than in recent memory, kinda glad they dumped all the 'official' lifetime acheivement awards (not counting the one Jeff Bridges got) off to a different event.  Glad to see Hurt Locker win all its awards, but most especially (for me anyway) the editing award.

The biggest WTF I had was why John Hughes got like 5 minutes of special treatment.  I can think of all kinds of comparisons to people who deserved more - don't get me started on the 47 seconds Brando got - but how about just last year when Sidney Pollack died?  (yeah I know Brando & AMPAS hated each other, but still...)  Close second WTF was what Molly Ringwald looked like, and close third was what Macauley Culkin looked like.  So it was a complete clusterWTF in my view.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:09 AM »
The biggest WTF I had was why John Hughes got like 5 minutes of special treatment.  

it's called Zero-ing In On the Target Demo. If you were 13 when Breakfast Club came out, you're pushing 40 now.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »
The biggest WTF I had was why John Hughes got like 5 minutes of special treatment.  

it's called Zero-ing In On the Target Demo. If you were 13 when Breakfast Club came out, you're pushing 40 now.

Urgh, don't remind me.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 08, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »

Urgh, don't remind me.

Hee.  I'd also add that pre-Hughes, movies aimed *specifically* at teens were not really done by big studios, they were done by 2nd-stringers like American-International for the drive-in market (think Wild in the Streets and various "beach party"/surf flicks). But Hughes showed that teens were a demo to be reckoned with at the box-office.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 08, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
OK, so I just watched Precious last night, and am so glad Mo'nique won. I haven't seen the Bullock film yet, but her acceptance speech was golden (and, no, it wasn't just because she said The Streep was a good kisser - I already knew that). :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:15 PM »
Just caught up with Shutter Island, and sorry to say I'm kinda with the naysayers.  I thought it was rather a long slog to get to a "twist" that wasn't exactly hard to see coming.  (Can you say "M Night Scorsese"?) A very well-acted and skillfully directed slog, but a slog nonetheless.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 08, 2010, 09:19:45 PM »
Both sides' explanation of the Oscars' "Kanye Moment":

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/2010/03/07/music_by_prudence_burkett
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »
Just finished watching last night's Oscars (we had plans to be out, so I tivo'd for later viewing). My one gripe is that it seemed like a lot of the winners of "lesser" awards got barely 30 seconds to say their piece, and then get hustled off while the orchestra drowns them out. Yet they dedicate what seemed to be a good 20+ minutes of the show to solicited testimonials about the best acting nominees from their peers. These were all touching, but I didn't feel they added to the program in the slightest, and some of that time could have been better distributed among a few of the other winners who got short shrift. For that matter, the whole show up until the last half hour seemed rushed--I always enjoyed the pace of the show, except in those years when it went well beyond the 4 hour mark.

All that aside, I was glad to see Jeff Bridges get recognized (note that no one cut off *his* acceptance speech--nor should they), and I guess now I gotta go see The Blahnd Sahd (as my wife's aunt, from No. Carolina) calls it. At least I know it's playing somewhere within 15 miles or so. 
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
Holy crap! I had NO IDEA this movie even existed -- thanx Larry Grogan for the tip -- but damn, I wanna see this. Ladies & gentlemen, Telstar: The Joe Meek Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4UAgR_ds2w

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:52 AM »
folks, here's the Oscar-winning animated short Logorama.  It's fantastic!  I was lucky enough to see all the nom'd ani shorts  on a big screen the week before the Oscars, and this one stood out .. it deserved to win (NSFW language, wear headphones)

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=11899
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
folks, here's the Oscar-winning animated short Logorama.  It's fantastic!  I was lucky enough to see all the nom'd ani shorts  on a big screen the week before the Oscars, and this one stood out .. it deserved to win (NSFW language, wear headphones)

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=11899

Yeah, it's pretty funny. And as much as I love Wallace & Gromit, it was nice to see somebody else win for a change.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 12, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
Holy crap! I had NO IDEA this movie even existed -- thanx Larry Grogan for the tip -- but damn, I wanna see this. Ladies & gentlemen, Telstar: The Joe Meek Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4UAgR_ds2w

and while we're on Brit musical biopics, he're the Ian Dury flick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAentMF22m0&feature=player_embedded