Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499861 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:35 PM »
without googling, identify this exchange (movie and actors, please):

WOMAN: "Well, since this may be your last night on Earth, let's go back to my room and make love."

MAN: "Oh, nice idea! I'll bring the soy sauce!"

I knew I didn't know it, so I googled.  I haven't seen this movie; should I rent it?  It looks funny, and has lots of Russian lit jokes, which are right up my alley, being a former Russian Studies major.

If you're into Russian lit you'll love it; dunno how big a fan you are of the filmmaker but it's one of his good ones.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 18, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
OMFG! the "Flix" cable channel is showing A Boy and his Dog as I type.  Don Johnson's finest hour -- funny, it takes place in 2024, which semed a loooong way away when I first saw the movie in 1976.  A true cult classic.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 24, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
I loved that movie.  Based on an award-winning short story by Harlan Ellison.

Saw two flicks recently.  Wolfman was interesting at first, but ultimately dissappointing, despite Tony Hopkins' impressive virility.  I don't recommend you spend money to see it.  One small spoiler - in case I'm not the only one who's been hoping to see even more of Emily Blunt's body than in Charlie Wilson's War...not gonna happen.

Shutter Island was very impressive, and I plan to see it again.  I won't say anything about the plot, but unlike most movies these days, there's a *helluva* lot more to it than what you see in the trailer (in fact if you look at the cast list on IMDb or something, you'll notice a major character that isn't even glimpsed in the trailer - I hadn't so it was part of the surprise for me).  It felt a bit long 2/3 through, and if you're like me you might get a bit frustrated trying to anticipate the resolution.  But not only is the payoff very good, there's a very thought provoking denouement.  DiCaprio is awesome, and once the movie is over I bet you'll think back and appreciate just how amazing he was throuhgout.  Strangely though, it never felt like a Scorcese movie to me, unlike their previous two collaborations.  But that's takes nothing away from the movie.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
I loved that movie.  Based on an award-winning short story by Harlan Ellison.

"Farm! Immediately!"  I read that story in high school and was a HUGE Ellison fan. Was overjoyed when the movie came out and rushed to see it (it was in-and-out of theaters pretty quickly in '76). I think it woulda made a great "adult" cartoon in the Ralph Bakshi mold. Definitely ripe for a remake/re-imagining. Paging Shia LaBeouf!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 05, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
OMGWTF: Smurfs: The Movie -- starring NPH!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=486273&gt1=28101

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »

How magnificently asexual of him.   ::)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

certainly gives new meaning to "screwed, blue'd and tattooed".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 05, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »

But is my point taken?  He might as well be starring in "The Contrabulous Frabtraption of Dr. Horatio Hufnagel."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »

But is my point taken?  He might as well be starring in "The Contrabulous Frabtraption of Dr. Horatio Hufnagel."

Oh, I hear ya. I'd love him to play a GAY version of his Barney character from "HIMYM"; his point that an openly gay actor can credibly play a randy straight guy has been made. Considering that South Park parodied Avatar as "Dances With Smurfs" before Cameron's blockbuster had even opened, I gotta wonder if the pitch meeting revolved around the fact that "Americans love blue people more than ever!" LOL!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »

How magnificently asexual of him.   ::)

But is my point taken?  He might as well be starring in "The Contrabulous Frabtraption of Dr. Horatio Hufnagel."

Oh, I hear ya. I'd love him to play a GAY version of his Barney character from "HIMYM"; his point that an openly gay actor can credibly play a randy straight guy has been made. Considering that South Park parodied Avatar as "Dances With Smurfs" before Cameron's blockbuster had even opened, I gotta wonder if the pitch meeting revolved around the fact that "Americans love blue people more than ever!" LOL!

What's a HIMYM?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 06, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »

How magnificently asexual of him.   ::)

But is my point taken?  He might as well be starring in "The Contrabulous Frabtraption of Dr. Horatio Hufnagel."

What's a HIMYM?

How I Met Your Mother. I know, I know: you're busy with cheese.  ;) 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 06, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Saw the Oscar-nommed animated shorts last nite, which included A Matter of Loaf & Death, the latest delightful Wallace & Gromit adventure.  At one point we get a glimpse of Gromit's record collection

BTW, I intend to do my real-time snarky-comments thing during the Oscars tomorrow nite on Facebook; since we're all on FB I see no reason to double-post.  So join me there and we'll rip the Academy a new one!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:10:48 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Taking Woodstock
« Reply #1513 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
I just saw the Colbert/Ang Lee interview, and am intrigued more now about seeing Taking Woodstock.  How do others feel?

Well, it sat in its Netflix sleeve here for a month or so, but we finally watched it last night.   I really enjoyed it.  The acid trip scene was pretty incredible, especially the point where they put an 8-track in and it's Love's "The Red Telephone," a truly trippy moment.  It was very sweet, and well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioxj73deq0
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Woodstock
« Reply #1514 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »

I just saw the Colbert/Ang Lee interview, and am intrigued more now about seeing Taking Woodstock.  How do others feel?

Well, it sat in its Netflix sleeve here for a month or so, but we finally watched it last night.   I really enjoyed it.  The acid trip scene was pretty incredible, especially the point where they put an 8-track in and it's Love's "The Red Telephone," a truly trippy moment.  It was very sweet, and well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioxj73deq0

Indeed, kinda underrated -- I think critics were expecting epic, sweeping and "important" when it was just sweet and intimate. Would make a good "Jews in the Sixties" double bill with A Serious Man (which is just out on DVD as well), actually.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:46:40 PM by RGMike »