Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499412 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1470 on: January 01, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Mike's Holiday Movie Round-Up, Part 2

Another big week of moviegoing...

Me & Orson Welles. This one is getting lost in the Xmas movie onslaught, but it's really quite enjoyable. Christian McKay is getting all the notices for his Orson Welles imitation, but this movie deserves some kind of casting award -- they've found actors who look like all of Welles' Mercury Theater compatriots. The guy who plays Joseph Cotten is amazing, and the great Eddie Marsan (the only thing I liked in Happy Go Lucky, which I otherwise hated) plays John Houseman and you can totally imagine him becoming Prof. Kingsfield in The Paper Chase 35 years later.  Oh, and Zac Efron is... adequate.

Avatar. Yes, on a technical level it's the most amazing thing you've ever seen. And yes, plot-wise it's Dances With Wolves with blue people. Best. 3-D movie. EVAH.  You just gotta see it.

Sherlock Holmes. Big, noisy and preposterous, but Robert Downey Jr makes it enjoyable, and Jude Law is also quite good. And Eddie Marsan shows up again as the inspector. Glad to see him getting a big paycheck.

Nine. Yikes. Borderline awful. How can a musical directed by a gay guy have so much strip-club choreography? Has Rob Marshall been hanging out with Jay-Z and Li'l Wayne? Every number looks like an audition for the Hustler Club.  When they said Rob Marshall likes some pole, I didn't know they meant this!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
Avatar. Yes, on a technical level it's the most amazing thing you've ever seen. And yes, plot-wise it's Dances With Wolves with blue people. Best. 3-D movie. EVAH.  You just gotta see it.

and speaking of Avatar...

http://web.me.com/pascalboogaert/Site/foto3.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 13, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »
I think this is pretty hilarious:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 13, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
that was great!  I wonder how many more years Michael Cera can keep this up?  Is there any other kind of role he can play?

Saw Avatar yesterday.  Very enjoyable and visually stunning.  I love your comment, Mike, about it being Dances With Wolves with blue people.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
Saw Avatar yesterday.  Very enjoyable and visually stunning.  I love your comment, Mike, about it being Dances With Wolves with blue people.

which I of course stole from South Park, who skewered it -- before it even opened -- as "Dances with Smurfs".  A large dash of "Pocahontas" in there too. 

Which always reminds me of Larry "Bubbles" Brown (comedian and Alex Bennett Show regular back in the day) and his line "Disney is making their first X-rated cartoon, about a guy who has sex with a female ghost. It's called Poke A Hauntess"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »
I wonder how many more years Michael Cera can keep this up?  Is there any other kind of role he can play?

No.

This has been another entertaining episode of "Simple Answers to Simple Questions."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
Roger Ebert's still got it. Read his pan of that new Jackie Chan kiddie film, The Spy Next Door, which is more entertaining than the movie could possibly be:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100113/REVIEWS/100119993/1023

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Roger Ebert's still got it. Read his pan of that new Jackie Chan kiddie film, The Spy Next Door, which is more entertaining than the movie could possibly be:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100113/REVIEWS/100119993/1023

sorry to be on an Ebert kick today, but here's his review of The Lovely Bones, which he also hated, tho' much more pointedly. Appropriate, what with us discussing religion the last day or so:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100113/REVIEWS/100119992/1023

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
A very funny piece on people who talk incessantly at the movies:

http://theoatmeal.com/story/water_buffalo

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 03, 2010, 02:40:17 PM »
It's official: Avatar has outgrossed Titanic, domestically (it's already done so globally).

http://movies.ign.com/articles/106/1066296p1.html

I love the fact that Avatar fanatics are being referred to derisively as "Avatards" (Will Palin be upset about that too?)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
It's official: Avatar has outgrossed Titanic, domestically (it's already done so globally).

http://movies.ign.com/articles/106/1066296p1.html

I love the fact that Avatar fanatics are being referred to derisively as "Avatards" (Will Palin be upset about that too?)

I never cease to be amazed that gross receipts are still the barometer of a movie's popularity, even though the cost of movie tickets is continually being increased, making any talk of gross receipts  irrelevant. The only number that should matter is the number of tickets sold. I read last week that the average ticket price when Titanic was released was something like $4 and change, while now it's somewhere in the $7 range (both figures seem low to me, too). Add to that the fact that a lot of people are seeing the 3-D version of Avatar which tacks a couple more dollars onto the admission cost and it's likely that about half as many people have seen Avatar as saw Titanic. And yet the movie industry is rarely called out on this.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 07, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »
Ventured out to see the Tooth Fairy today. Good pre-SB laughs. I love my hockey. Oh yeah, took the little cats. Def a flick for the youngsters. Liked a few of the previews, Karate Kid and Light chaser something or other.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 09, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
Now that the Oscar Noms are out, I notice that while expanding Best Pic to 10 noms, they have done away with the separate category of Best Animated Pic.  So that makes a little more sense, and only Up makes the cut (quite deservedly)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 09, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »
Now that the Oscar Noms are out, I notice that while expanding Best Pic to 10 noms, they have done away with the separate category of Best Animated Pic.  So that makes a little more sense, and only Up makes the cut (quite deservedly)

Not so:

http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees#category_animated-feature-film
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »

no they haven't... the Best Animated Film Nominees are:

Coraline
Up
Fantastic Mr Fox
Princess & the Frog
The Secret of Kells

(That last one is a foreign film no one has seen or heard of)