Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499536 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1440 on: November 26, 2009, 03:31:34 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving indeed: earlier this afternoon I saw The Road, aka "2012 for depressive English Lit majors". On a technical level -- cinematography, the "realistic" depiction of a post-apocalyptic landscape -- it's quite impressive, and Viggo Mortensen is very good, as is the previously-unknown child actor who plays his son.  But Jeezus, it's bleak.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 27, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »
Clooney double-header report: Words cannot describe how much I loved Fantastic Mr Fox. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. I realize Up is going to win the Oscar, and deservedly so, but this is right up there with the other stellar animation of 2009, like Coraline

And Men Who Stare At Goats was quite good too. I'd love to know what bug was up Owen Gleiberman's ass when he gave it an F (!) in EW.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 29, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Couple of flicks I was looking forward to catching up with this weekend: The Maid, a Spanish comedy that has gotten nothing but raves, and The Messenger, the Ben Foster/Woody Harrelson Iraq War movie. 

Well... lotsa luck: Maid played for all of 10 days at the Embarcadero and now it is nowhere to be found. Not playing ANYWHERE in the Bay Area. Messenger (similar raves) has been cut back to 2 shows a day at Metreon after only a week. Yet "New Moon", "Old Dogs" and "2012" are on a billion screens. How sad -- this isn't the boondocks, it's San Francisco. Can't we support quality? WTF?

Got to see Messenger yesterday; a few script problems (couple of overwritten scenes) but much of it is quite powerful and it's one of the best-acted movies I've seen this year. Ben Foster is good in a rare non-psycho role; Woody Harrelson and Samantha Morton deserve Oscar noms but I dunno how much of a campaign the distributor (tiny Oscilloscope Laboratories) will be able to afford.  It will surely be on DVD soon, I highly recommend.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
moving this over from the Mike's Christmas Countdown thread, talking about The Blind Side...

What do you say, re: the criticism that the black kid barely has 10 lines of dialog in the whole film and is portrayed as "a bystander in his own story", to quote one review I've read?

That's easy.  Nothing could be a deader giveaway that the reviewers not only didn't read the book, but haven't even bothered to familiarize themselves with it.  That is precisely how Michael Oher comes across in the book, which contains numerous quotes from his adoptive family, his teachers, coaches and tutors about how challenging it was to draw more than monosyllabic responses out of him.

And if you didn't know, Michael (Moneyball, Liar's Poker) Lewis was close friends with Sean Tuohy, the adoptive father, in high school.  So he had actually known the family, including Michael Oher, before it occurred to him to write a book about it.  In fact in the foreward Lewis talks about how he asked Tuohy for some advice on his next book topic, and Tuohy had to talk him into writing the book.  Lewis was afraid it would be asking to much of his friend to expose him to the publicity undoubtedly in store.

It gets only a couple minutes at the beginning of the movie, but the book is subtitled: Evolution of a Game, and if anything, Lewis’ analyses of the changes to NFL offensive & defensive strategy that eventually led to the emergence of the Left Tackle as such a highly-prized & highly paid commodity are just fascinating.  Especially if you were a fan of Bill Walsh.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:14:02 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 02, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
Thanks, Mark. I'd been on the fence about seeing it, but I will def be checking it out now -- people keep saying that one should see it back-to-back with Precious, which is probably what I'll do.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 02, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »

Thanks, Mark. I'd been on the fence about seeing it, but I will def be checking it out now -- people keep saying that one should see it back-to-back with Precious, which is probably what I'll do.

For one who hasn't read the book or followed the story, you may be a bit challenged to accept that the movie hasn't been overly Hollywood-ized, but it really hasn't.  The only part that I can say for sure was, is when towards the end when Michael returns to his old neighborhood.  And without revealing any spoilers, let me just say that the real-life events in the book, while perhaps not quite as exciting as they are depicted in the movie, are, imho, far more incredible (in the classic sense of the word).

P.S. I know you'll enjoy Kathy Bates' character, and the one punchline she has with Bullock's character is verbatim from the book.  As is Tim McGraw's reaction. And fwiw, I think he does a very nice acting job in a role where (with the exception of one scene) he is almost always in Bullock's shadow.  One interesting thing I found out since, the real life Sean Tuohy was not just an All-American basketball player (as is mentioned briefly in the film) but he has been on the Memphis Grizzlies NBA announcing team since 2000.  This is well within the timeline of the story, but I don't recall it from the book & it definitely isn't mentioned in the movie.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:52:56 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 02, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
moving this over from the Mike's Christmas Countdown thread, talking about The Blind Side...
  Especially if you were a fan of Bill Walsh.

hmm, sounds good. I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan, but I'm a Bill Walsh fan.  I met him once at some symphony gala thing, went up and introduced myself at the intermission.   I think I said, "Hello, Coach Walsh, it's an honor to meet you." And he said, referring to the upcoming second part for the symphony program, "Whaddya think, fellas.  Think we can win this one?"

I guess he hated the first part of the symphony.
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 03, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »
  Especially if you were a fan of Bill Walsh.

hmm, sounds good. I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan, but I'm a Bill Walsh fan.  I met him once at some symphony gala thing, went up and introduced myself at the intermission.   I think I said, "Hello, Coach Walsh, it's an honor to meet you." And he said, referring to the upcoming second part for the symphony program, "Whaddya think, fellas.  Think we can win this one?"

I guess he hated the first part of the symphony.

well, he isn't mentioned in the movie, but I'm sure you can find the book at the library eventually.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 04, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »
Now you don't have to see Twilight: New Moon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXeQ7baYEE&feature=player_embedded

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 04, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
I went to my local theater today to see Up In the Air, because I love George Clooney (when was the last time he made a bad movie? - by which you can assume that I believe Ocean's 12 to be vastly under-rated) and because I have long been infatuated with Vera Farmiga.  Unfortunately Up In the Air has an exclusive engagement in SF, so I was left with the choice between Armored and 2012.  Much as I loves me some John Cusack, when I saw Armored featured Fred Ward & Larry Fishbouorne I had to go there.

All I can say is 'Holy Sh*t'.  Armored is directed by some guy named Nimrod (truly!), but it is the most surprisingly good movie I have seen in a freakin' long time.  I swear they must have hired my doppelganger to oversee the re-scripting, because they neatly swerved away from every single cliche, gave extra attention to character development, and made sure that all the top 4-5 characters had completely plausible reasons for their actions.  Even the top 7-8 characters.

Now that being said, it remains merely a most excellent Heist Movie (although just maybe it is the Reservoir Dogs of Heist movies - I'm just sayin'), with all of the limitations of the genre.  But I will add two things: once the clock starts ticking (spoiler prevents me saying more) it really seems to progress in real time.  None of that "It's-taken-seven-minutes-of-exposition-to-cover-a-2-minute-countdown" nonsense.  And Nimrod thankfully decides to wrap it up quickly, none of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd false endings (I hope I know this crowd well enough that this isn't a spoiler) of 21st century action movie de-jure.  

you may well decide to wait until this shows up as your in-flight entertainment or what not, but whenever it rolls around, strap in & enjoy it. Two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:21:34 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 04, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »

All I can say is 'Holy Sh*t'.  Armored is directed by some guy named Nimrod (truly)

hahahaha!  yes, Nimrod Antal is Eastern European, he directed a movie called "Kontroll" in 2003 that got some accclaim (tho' I found it overrated).  Then he did a horror flick 2 years ago called "Vacancy".  "Armored" is his 2nd film in English; he's now working on a re-boot of "Predator".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 06, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
Forgive me for being a box-office stats geek, but: (a) The Blind Side rose to #1 this week, a fairly unusual occurrance, and (b) I just love this info about the awful-looking Transylmania:

"[it] suffered one of the worst wide releases of all-time, opening in 1,007 locations to a microscopic estimate of $274,000 for a pathetic $272 average. That means on average, each showtime over the weekend attracted only three people".

:o

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Pirate Radio
« Reply #1452 on: December 06, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »
The one thing I didn't like was during the credits they played Duffy's version of "Stay With Me" instead of Lorraine Ellison's.  So, today the Damn Fine Day song is "Lorraine Ellison's Stay With Me."

http://www.damnfineday.com/?p=8491

I was the only person who stayed in the theater throughout the credits and saw this.  Made me feel really old.

I unsubscribed to Dame Fine Day once they turned their ops over to the LaLa service.  Sorry, I had to reallocate my resources.  So for those who feel likewise, here's the song for free:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJ1rv39Pws
Note re: Lala:
If you use DowloadHelper with Lala on Firefox, you can download tons of stuff, full-length.  You didn't hear this from me.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/
well, Apple just bought Lala:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/04/financial/f175310S81.DTL

It probably won't take them long to figure out how they are leaking MP3's
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:58 PM »
I went to my local theater today to see Up In the Air, because I love George Clooney (when was the last time he made a bad movie? - by which you can assume that I believe Ocean's 12 to be vastly under-rated) and because I have long been infatuated with Vera Farmiga.  Unfortunately Up In the Air has an exclusive engagement in SF...

Just came from seeing Up In The Air and it's pretty terrific. Clooney's great of course, and Vera Farmiga (I'm also a big fan of hers) has never been this sexy/funny. Mark, if you have never seen a little indie called Down to the Bone from a few years ago -- rent it. It's the movie that got her noticed by Scorsese and others. She's amazing in it. 

Back to UITA, it's really well-written, very in tune with the zeitgeist, and I can't recommend it more highly.  Saw it at Century SF Centre, where it's playing on 3 screens -- 2 "regular" projection, and one "Extreme Digital", something new that Century is charging an extra 3 bucks for ($14 a ticket, as if it were 3-D or something).  The screen is larger (about 1/3 bigger than their regular screens) and I guess the image is supposd to be sharper. I saw this version because I had no choice, it was the next show at 5pm and I didn't want to hang around waiting for an hour, but... sorry, not worth the extra money IMHO. 

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 08, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »
Julien Temple will helm Kinks biopic. 

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/12/03/kinks-biopic/
~CPL593H~