Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499402 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1410 on: November 06, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
For those with Turner Classic Movies on their cable or satellite service, they're showing Putney Swope tonite at 11pm Pacific/2am Eastern. Truth & Soul Forever!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1411 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
For those with Turner Classic Movies on their cable or satellite service, they're showing Putney Swope tonite at 11pm Pacific/2am Eastern. Truth & Soul Forever!
THE BEST MOVIE!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 06, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »
THE BEST MOVIE!

About to watch it now - thanks for the heads-up!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 07, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »
THE BEST MOVIE!

Damn, sorry I missed this post. I ended up watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Fuse. Was surprised how many of the audience retorts I remembered after all these years.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 07, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
THE BEST MOVIE!

I'm interested in what you thought. I made it thru the first hour (I was very tired). I hadn't seen PS since the early '70s; and it didn't quite hold up for me. The commercial parodies are still pretty great, esp that "Face-Off" one with a young Ronnie Dyson, but it's kind of a one-joke-endlessly-repeated scenario: Black guy takes over and instantly becomes as much of an asshole as the white guys were (stealing other peoples' ideas, firing employees on a whim, etc). OK, Downey, we get it. 

TCM followed PS with Downey's Greaser's Palace, which I've never seen but would like to. Downey Sr. was good friends with Alex Bennett back then, Alex used to have him on his NYC radio show often.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
Black guy takes over and instantly becomes as much of an asshole as the white guys were (stealing other peoples' ideas, firing employees on a whim, etc). OK, Downey, we get it. 

This was precisely what bugged me about it.  The point that "power corrupts" is made facilely enough in enough places.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 08, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »
Any Films of the Decade list that doesn't include Dogville is worthless:

http://spectrumculture.com/2009/11/end-of-the-aughts-films-of-the-decade.html

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 08, 2009, 09:31:23 AM »
Black guy takes over and instantly becomes as much of an asshole as the white guys were (stealing other peoples' ideas, firing employees on a whim, etc). OK, Downey, we get it. 

This was precisely what bugged me about it.  The point that "power corrupts" is made facilely enough in enough places.

I've heard of Putney Swope, but have never seen it.  I can't really recall it being shown in any local art house, for that matter, even though it's got some importance attached to it.  Looks like its flaws outweigh its importance and have dragged it down past "forgotten/overlooked gems," past "cult movie" and even beyond "let's kill two hours and possibly add to our cultural knowledge by watching this dated movie" status.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 08, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »

I've heard of Putney Swope, but have never seen it.  I can't really recall it being shown in any local art house, for that matter, even though it's got some importance attached to it.  Looks like its flaws outweigh its importance and have dragged it down past "forgotten/overlooked gems," past "cult movie" and even beyond "let's kill two hours and possibly add to our cultural knowledge by watching this dated movie" status.

I think it's fondly remembered by those who were college-age at the time, just like anyone who was 19 in 1983 remembers Liquid Sky. There was no "indie" scene yet, and Downey had made some experimental films that got shown in museums, but this was one of the first independent films to get distributed, even if it was only in big-city art-houses. Cinema 5 was a new company in 1969; they would go on to distribute many art-house hits in the '70s including the great Oscar-winning documentary Marjoe. And then UA would step in to do Downey's next 2 flicks, Greaser's Palace and Pound.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »

so have you seen his Antichrist yet? talk about love-it-or-despise-it reviews!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1420 on: November 08, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

oh well
 :(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

I haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely on the list. I've been ignoring the reviews. But Von Trier + Dafoe can't be that bad!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 09, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
Flipping around my pay channels yesterday, and Shakespeare in Love was just starting (in Hi def).  So I bailed on the Niner game, and watched SiL for the first time since I saw it at the theater.  I know some of you think it did not deserves its* oscar(s), but after watching it again, I completely disagree.  Great script, great acting, great fun.  And I was a bit choked up at the end.

* rereading, fixed its / it's f*ckup...  :P
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

oh well
 :(

Heck, as Mike, Shray and probably others can attest, my film tastes are undoubtedly idiosyncratic, so take my opinions with a lime and salt.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 10, 2009, 07:45:14 AM »

I haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely on the list. I've been ignoring the reviews. But Von Trier + Dafoe can't be that bad!

I can't bear the idea of seeing Willem lose his, er, little willem.